Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 07:19 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,031 times

Advertisements

i need help!! heading up there in june and i need to find a place to stay. we'll have our 2 toddlers with us. i want a clean, family friendly place that is conveniently located to the parks. we stayed in twin mountain last time and i'd like to head east...maybe gorham or jackson??? i'd love to have breakfast included and/or a fridge/kitchenette just to simplify the mornings. if they have fun events like bonfires and kiddie play areas, that's even better.

here's where it gets complicated...the inlaws are coming with us. where i will stay in a clean motel 6, she won't even stay in a clean holiday inn. she wants a nice hotel. i don't want to spend $250/night and i also don't want to be someplace that is meant more for a romantic getaway rather than a week away with kids.

any ideas on a compromise?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:41 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
You'd have to check on the rates, but the Nordic Village across from Storyland is very nice. It is individually owned condos (my sister in law has one) but they are rented out by the office there. www.nordicvillagecondo.com

The place has indoor and outdoor pools (heated), hot tub, and a place for bonfires.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:02 AM

seamus -that's one of the lodging ideas that i sent my mil. she freaked out when a review mentioned a black bear. i said "no ****, we are going to the mountains, that's where they live". guess i won't tell her we have them here in nashua too.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:39 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
I second Nordic Village. Stayed there a few times before we moved to NH-years ago and also recently again-last year-and a friend owns there. We have never been disappointed. Good ammenities and location.

Make sure you check out Jackson Falls as well- I love it there-especially early in the morning before the crowds show up. Although I cannot guarantee it will be free of bears!

Old 08-24-2011, 11:12 AM

thanks for the 2nd..it's nice to hear when more than one person likes a place. and thanks for the jackson falls rec as well...i think we'll do diana's baths too.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:56 PM

30 posts, read 92,116 times
We love Old Field House Inn. Owners are so nice and sweet, awesome homemade waffles in the morning. Located right next to North Conway. Old Field House, Country Inn, Lodging,

Old 08-25-2011, 04:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Drop them off at the Mt. Washington Hotel. Then take the car and have a nice vacation. Pick them up on your way back to Nashua. Or just tell your MIL that Nashua is infested with bears, raccoons, fisher cats, wolves, mountain lions, human street gangs and lots of UPS trucks.

Exaggeration in self defense is not a sin but a tactic.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:25 AM

Trish - gonna check that link out now.

Greg - I like the way you think! We *may* have compromised on the Hampton Inn. It's not exactly what either one wants, but the price is $100 cheaper per night than the Marriott she wanted. It's got breakfast for the kids in the morning, and a pool area for them. I'd rather support a mom and pop business, but at least I'm not spending $1000 just for 4 nights in a hotel.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:52 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
It's nowhere near the Glen/Jackson area, but just wanted to put it out there that we had a GREAT experience in Lincoln at Woodward's Resort on the DW Highway. We were up there a few weeks ago when temps in southern NH were hovering near 100 degrees, we figured an easy way to beat the heat was to head north and hang out at The Whale's Tale water park. We went mid-week, no reservations and unfortunately every place along route 3 had rooms that smelled like a damp basement. We stopped at no less than 8 places, and ended up at Woodwards MAINLY because it didn't smell like somebody's damp basement. We were pleasantly surprised with a great stay, decently comfy beds, indoor (till 10 PM)/outdoor (till 8 PM) swimming pools, hot tub, game room, tennis courts. I think it was somewhere in the $130/night range (with AAA discount). Sure beats a stinky smelly room! The other place that was nice (but no vacancy) was Mount Coolidge Motel. Super clean, the owners were great (and very apologetic that they couldn't accommodate us) We'll try them next time (and will call for reservations first!)

Old 08-26-2011, 07:46 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
seamus -that's one of the lodging ideas that i sent my mil. she freaked out when a review mentioned a black bear. i said "no ****, we are going to the mountains, that's where they live". guess i won't tell her we have them here in nashua too.
Those are some high maintenance in-laws. Good luck - sounds like they're not made for the mountains!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire