Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:00 AM

137 posts, read 384,393 times

Advertisements

Hello,

me again

So, we should be leaving CA by the 3rd of October.
I am wondering if any of you know of any rental agents who would help us find a place. I would like to get preapproved with credit and references and then have a few places to choose from when we get there so we are not stuck in a hotel for several days.
Is this possible?

Thank you

Leisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 02:12 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
I don't think you're going to find as many "rental agents" in NH as in CA. In Boston for example people typically work with an agent to find rentals. In NH people typically just deal with the landlord or management company if it's a complex.

I don't think there is any reason why/why not other than population/selection- that said I'm sure there are some real estate agents that deal with rentals as well of course.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:45 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlp View Post
Hello,

me again

So, we should be leaving CA by the 3rd of October.
I am wondering if any of you know of any rental agents who would help us find a place. I would like to get preapproved with credit and references and then have a few places to choose from when we get there so we are not stuck in a hotel for several days.
Is this possible?

Thank you

Leisa
New Hampshire is not a tiny state by any means. Do you have an inkling as to WHERE you wish to move in New Hampshire? Do you have children? Pets?

Old 09-21-2011, 11:08 PM

Well that is a relief. That is just about all we have here is management companies.
I prefer dealing directly with a landlord.

Thanks,

Leisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
I don't think you're going to find as many "rental agents" in NH as in CA. In Boston for example people typically work with an agent to find rentals. In NH people typically just deal with the landlord or management company if it's a complex.

I don't think there is any reason why/why not other than population/selection- that said I'm sure there are some real estate agents that deal with rentals as well of course.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:10 PM

Yes, probably Manchester or Nashua or even small towns near there.

I do have adult pets as well as adult children who will not be living with me at the time. They're in college.
Just my husband and myself, with our pets.

Thanks

Leisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
New Hampshire is not a tiny state by any means. Do you have an inkling as to WHERE you wish to move in New Hampshire? Do you have children? Pets?

Old 09-25-2011, 03:03 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Leisa - I gave my son-in-law, who has appartments in Rochester your e-mail and you may be hearing from him. However I just saw where you said you will be settling in Manchester or Nashua which is not near Rochester. He takes pets on a case by case. Depends on size and number of pets I think. We were just in Rochester yesterday and went to the Stonewall Kitchen outlet.. It's a great place you may want to check out when you live in NH. Stonewall has a website as well but this place in Rochester has great markdowns on things ie - jams, cookie mixes, grilling sauces etc. Just a thought. My daughter and her husband live in Dover, NH so we get to that area quite a bit.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:06 PM

63 posts, read 187,655 times
A good first place to start is Craigslist.com.

Most landlords and realtors post there listings here, and in most cases you will be able to deal directly with the landlord. This can sometimes give you an idea about how a landlord will deal with you AFTER you are in the rental, by judging how they deal with you during the rental process.
You might also want to contact a local realtor to find properties that might not be on craigslist (some old school or lazy realtors don't put their rentals on craigslist).

Old 09-25-2011, 03:11 PM

63 posts, read 187,655 times
You should also know that in NH, landlords can not charge more than 1 months rent as a security deposit. (can't charge first and last month rent either, only first month and the security deposit).
If a landlord does try to charge more than that, they are not up on current law, and that might raise a red flag about they conduct their rental business.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:45 PM

Thanks everyone.
Actually I did hear back from someone on CL today who said they charge 1st and last month and deposit which was the same as the rent plus a pet deposit.
That's out of our budget!

Thanks for the heads up!

Leisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingback View Post
You should also know that in NH, landlords can not charge more than 1 months rent as a security deposit. (can't charge first and last month rent either, only first month and the security deposit).
If a landlord does try to charge more than that, they are not up on current law, and that might raise a red flag about they conduct their rental business.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:46 PM

Thank you so much! Since we aren't decided on one place yet, we are open to all areas. Hope to hear from your son-in-law.
Thanks for the suggestions for shopping too!

Thank you

Leisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Leisa - I gave my son-in-law, who has appartments in Rochester your e-mail and you may be hearing from him. However I just saw where you said you will be settling in Manchester or Nashua which is not near Rochester. He takes pets on a case by case. Depends on size and number of pets I think. We were just in Rochester yesterday and went to the Stonewall Kitchen outlet.. It's a great place you may want to check out when you live in NH. Stonewall has a website as well but this place in Rochester has great markdowns on things ie - jams, cookie mixes, grilling sauces etc. Just a thought. My daughter and her husband live in Dover, NH so we get to that area quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire