Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:12 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,090 times

Advertisements

Lyme has their own elementary school if I remember correctly but attend Hanover High which is one of the best high schools in the state.

My son is 4.5 and we tried to get him skating last winter but he wasn't loving it. We fish, and hike and get outside a lot. It's what makes this area great.

Hanover is easily the most ethnically diverse town in the area, I wouldn't think you'll have any trouble fitting in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 10:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
Late September and early October in northern NH feature nearly perfect weather (IMHO). Nights go down to the high 40s and days are usually around mid 60 to 70s. Not much chance of rain either.

Welcome to Yankee land.

Oh - the trees turn all sorts of pretty colors.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:47 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,523 times
I lived in Hanover over 20 years ago. I am single and don't have kids. FWIW... I dated someone last year who was working in Hanover for 6 mos. and living in Brownsville, VT. He had lived in Hanover area for 20 years earlier in his life.
This former BF is a moderate and an independent do-it-yourself man who usually lives in small-city Pacific NW. He HATES Hanover. While he has his own memories from a divorce there, he also found it to be clubby, overly precious, expensive, and "not all that." He couldn't wait to leave it every day and get across the river.
I tend to agree. No offense to those who like Hanover, I'm glad you had better luck. Currently, I'm a single F living in the DC area and Hanover would better in some ways. But IMHO I don't have good memories of living there, except for access to outdoor sports and fresh air. I was very lonely, found it very WASPy, I am not a WASP, and I like more variety in my community and more friendliness. He and I both felt we experienced a pervasive "unfriendly Yankee" social climate. So, take that FWIW, and good luck... which you might have if you're married and have kids in the schools -- great area for sports and an excellent high school.

Last edited by Tuneful; 08-23-2007 at 06:28 PM..

Old 08-23-2007, 08:39 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,174,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
I have contacted a barn framing company in Maine to get started.
Maybe you've already decided on the Maine company, but if not, there are a number of NH-based companies to consider.

Timber Frame and Post & Beam Custom Barn Homes | Yankee Barn Homes
Bensonwood
Welcome to Davis Frame Company, National Timber Frame Manufacture
Hampshire Timber Frame - Custom Timber Frame Designs - Claremont, NH

And probably some more. I took a tour of the Bensonwood facility and it was really cool. The guy I talked to called the Connecticut River Valley "Timber Frame Row" because of the number of framing companies in the area.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:04 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,402 times
Thanks JMX. I will look at these framing companies too. Do you know anyone that has used them? Do people still have barn raisings? I have no friends in the area. I guess it would be a way to make some buddies. In California, people are just too busy and important.

What is the crime situation up there? Illegal immigration? Child safety? If I admit to watching Foxnews, will I be ostracized? I do watch CNN, CNBC, BBC and AlJazeera too.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:22 AM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,174,931 times
I don't personally know anyone that has a timber frame or barn home, but check with any of those companies. I've read that you can visit a homesite when they're raising a frame. Not too many of them happening here in the land of stucco and red tile roofs, though.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
I have an acquaintance that has a timber frame barn sized home. It is simply the best house I have ever seen. It is huge (they built a 2-place helicopter in the main room!), quiet, beyond comfortable, and very expensive. I consider a timber frame wrapped with structural insulated panels to be the most efficient house possible.

Find a copy of Tedd Benson's book - Timber Frame Houses and read it. This is an excellent explanation of the concept and details of the plumbing and wiring. Good read

Old 08-24-2007, 11:15 AM

121 posts, read 563,250 times
Hey, Bob, what is the fascination with Hanover since you have evidently never been there? I hope you didn't read about it in Money Magazine and actually believe what they wrote.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:29 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Hey, Bob, what is the fascination with Hanover since you have evidently never been there? I hope you didn't read about it in Money Magazine and actually believe what they wrote.
GOOD thought.. teh MONEY article was blatantly biased and skewed. I quite like Hanover to visit, I have no idea what it's like to live there since it's so astronomically expensive that my very modest salary could never afford it.

There are basically NO pieces of Land available either, you'll be buying a house on a small piece of property unless you move to an adjoining town that isn't so developed already.

I suggest outlying areas like Thetford, Orford, Lyme, etc.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:21 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
GOOD thought.. teh MONEY article was blatantly biased and skewed. I quite like Hanover to visit, I have no idea what it's like to live there since it's so astronomically expensive that my very modest salary could never afford it.

There are basically NO pieces of Land available either, you'll be buying a house on a small piece of property unless you move to an adjoining town that isn't so developed already.

I suggest outlying areas like Thetford, Orford, Lyme, etc.
Thanks for the input guys. I have never been north of Boston on the East Coast. I'm not exceptionally wealthy, but due to some luck I can live in almost any place in the world. If I didn't care about my children's future, I would just stay in Italy. But I need to get them in the game over there surrounded by peers who they can link up for life and hopefully find interesting paths.

I mentioned before that I am Chinese American. I understand that Hanover is the most diverse city in NH. Not that I have any problem with white people. However, I have been called ***** a few times. I would rather spare my children that experience.

Beyond the CNNMoney.com article naming Hanover the second best place to live, it also classifies Hanover as the 8th best place to retire young. I guess that's me. I will explore other towns though. Thanks again for the comments.

I am trying to gather info as best I can By the way, 79% humidity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire