Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 11:48 PM

354 posts, read 1,275,486 times

Advertisements

It is never too much....

Snow:
I worked at a machine shop right next to Manchester airport from 98 -05. We never got sent home from work or were told not to come in because it snowed too much. We did have a published policy and told to listen to WGIR for company closings. I have gone out to my car ( 2nd shift ) and the snow was over the door handles and the plow guy still hasn't shown up yet.

I owned (2) 2 family houses on West Side of Manchester and gave my Ariens 11 hp snowblower a very good woorkout every year. I would battle the city plows that would shove the snow back in the driveway after I blew it out.

I also developed a system of using my grass seed spreader to spread calcium chloride over the ice in the driveway so it would melt when the sun came out the next day.

The first snowfall is the worst for driving because everyone seem to forget how they did it last year. I miss all the rear wheel drive cars - they are great for spinning and doing donuts in a parking lot. Front wheel drive cars won't steer if you have the wheels locked up. If you lock up the brakes you will skid into the snowbank unless you learn to get off the brake and let the it turn (just a winter driving hint). I was never afraid of driving in the snow unlike my wife. I drove a van (rear wheel drive only with no weight in the back - a bad combination) from Manchester to Rutland Vt in the middle of a storm. You have to go over Mt. Killington. It took me 3 tries to get up the mountain road , slideways...

Cold: I can remember some good stretches of -5 to 10 deg. Too cold for skiing. You gotta have a very good battery for your car or it won't crank.

Naw it ain't that bad........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 05:36 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,912,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Keep your car sensibly stocked with extra clothing & boots, a blanket, extra handwarmers, breakfast bar or two, and the usual on-the-road necessities like flashlight, flares, etc. in case you get stuck on the road in the winter. A snowstorm can be pretty treacherous, and it doesn't take long to get soaked and frostbitten. There are still people in the north who don't know how to drive in snow and all it takes is one car to get stuck in front of you on the road and you won't be gong anywhere anytime soon either.

The first few snowfalls are always beautiful, but after that it gets old really fast. We lived in NH over 30 years, and I finally couldn't take the cold and snow anymore. It's no fun cleaning out your driveway and then having the plow come through and close it in with a 2-3' pile of snow that you now have to clean out *again*.
Where did you move to might I ask? You sure cured me of moving back East!
Used to live in western upstate new york - 120 inches snow...I am now in TN needless to say - I figured it was NH without the snow and a cute accent..lol

Old 09-02-2007, 07:07 AM

6 posts, read 34,142 times
Default Cold 'nff faw ya?

This is a few years old as you can tell at the end

At...

60 F Floridians wear coats, gloves and woolly hats.
New Englanders sunbathe.

50 F New Yorkers try to turn on the heat.
New Englanders plant gardens.

40 F Italian cars won't start.
New Englanders drive with the windows down.

32 F Distilled water freezes.
Lake Winnapesaukee cools off.

20 F Californians shiver uncontrollably.
New Englanders have the last cookout before it gets cold.

15 F New York landlords finally turn up the heat.
New Englanders throw on a sweater.

0 F Californians fly away to Mexico.
New Englanders take in the flag.

-20 F People in Miami cease to exist.
New Englanders get out their winter coats.

-40 F Hollywood disintegrates.
New England Girl Scouts begin selling cookies door to door.

-60 F Penguins begin to evacuate Antarctica.
New England Boy Scouts have "Winter Survival" classes.

-80 F Mount St. Helen's freezes.
New Englanders rent some videos and stay home for the day.

-100 F Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
New Englanders get frustrated because they can't thaw the keg.

-297 F Microbial life survives on dairy products.
New England cows complain of farmers with cold hands.

-460 F Atomic motion stops.
New Englanders start asking: "Cold 'nuff faw ya?"

-500 F Hell freezes over.
The Red Sox win the World Series.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:19 AM

951 posts, read 1,659,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
This is a few years old as you can tell at the end
That was awesome! LOL!!!

Quick story:
I was in Disney World a few years back during Feb. vacation and it was a cool day-around 55 deg. All the Floridians were dressed up in parkas and long coats and I was walking around in shorts and a t-shirt soaking up the sun. We went into a restaurant in Epcot and the waiter remarked at my attire and how cold it was outside. Wiping the sweat off my brow, I said two days ago when I left Logan airport in Boston, it was 4 degrees. He paused, looked at me in disbelief, gave a quick shiver at the thought, smiled, and said "Welcome to sunny Florida!"
I love New England!!!

Old 09-02-2007, 03:00 PM

562 posts, read 662,082 times
You have to either enjoy the cold, or learn to adapt to it so you can enjoy it. I have L.L. Bean, Cabelas, The North Face, and Marmot all in my winter clothing line-up. You will learn to mix and match for whatever the weather is. One thing is, that if you learn how to dress for the temperature, no matter how cold it is outside you will enjoy it if you are comfortable. I know I don't mind a winter blow if I am warm and toasty in a nice fleece with a shell parka over top and some long johns underneath. As well don't forget good boots, gore-tex shelled are best with heavy thinsulate material. LaCrosse sells some nice boots with 800 and 1000 gram thinsulate. You can't get cold feet in those

Buy the better stuff if you can, it lasts longer and will protect you better. I suggest shell parkas with real Gore-Tex. The North Face sells a cheaper shell with what they call "HyVent DT", and it's horrible. It's cheap, but it's the worst I have ever seen for a 'waterproof breathable'. It breaks down very quickly and you will soon be wet, and not dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire