Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 04:48 AM

11 posts, read 32,942 times

Advertisements

What I'm trying to do is find a state in the US that I can afford to live. Most of the states I prefer are to the west, because their population is low and they are more affordable for me.

However, I don't have a lot of money to play around with and do some traveling, so I'm trying to do my research and talk to people to see what they recommend. I live on the east coast with family and friends in Jersey, so it's more cost effective and easier for me to visit NH.

To make a long story short, I am 24 living in Tampa, FL for 6 years. I've had it and am ready to move! In August 2012, I have 2 weeks of vacation to play with and that's all I've got. I need to make sure I visit the RIGHT state for me since I don't know when I'm going to be able to afford this. My intention is to check out the area, see how much things are, scope out possible jobs.

Please, to anyone living your whole life in New Hampshire, give me some advice on where exactly I want to go.

I am looking to rent a house, not buy.
I will 85% be moving alone.

I don't like the city. The smaller the town, the better. I live near Ybor in Tampa, so all we have here is partying 24/7. Heavy college town.
I like quiet and boring, not boisterous and lively, lol.
I want to look out the window and see nature.

Currently, I work at an independent company, so when I move, I will have to go back into either retail or banking.

Depending on the job, I will probably make as low as $20k a year to as much as $28k.

Thanks in advance to anyone that tries to help me narrow down a good location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
New Hampshire is full of scenic beauty, and you will certainly find plenty of nature (and many with a 'glass half empty' outlook will say that NH is quiet and boring ) In that aspect, NH may be what you are looking for...

HOWEVER, New England as a whole is vastly more expensive to live in as compared to many southern and western states. Not only will you have to factor in rental costs, but heating from late-October to April each year. While some folks are starting their gardens in early April, we could have killing frosts through May.

You would be renting, so while not paying property taxes directly, the rental rate will factor in this cost (possibly several hundred dollars/month for the property owner). Now you can see why rentals under $500/month are very rare indeed. My property taxes in southern NH (for a 50 year old house) are at least triple of what I paid in Missouri for a 4-year old model home with all the bells and whistles.

In the last couple of years, I've worked with several relocation clients who (after visiting the area for a scouting trip) ultimately decided NOT to take the offered job, based on the higher cost of living and overall quality of life trade-off. I don't want to discourage you, but think it's only fair to tell you these things up front.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
You are better off in warm climates.

Although NH has fewer perceived taxes and costs it can be quite expensive.

If you really with to move north then read up on Bismark, North Dakota. It's a boom town with oil production. Jobs are there.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:24 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
For some reason Keene, Hanover and maybe Portsmouth and Peterborough come to mind and you'd have to have roomates to share an apartment with. Keene & Hanover have colleges- so maybe you could find some grad-school-age roomates to start out with? Portsmouth & peterborough may have some renters as well.

On a related note...$20-29k is significantly more money if you have no debt (car payments, credit card payments, school loans, whatever) than if you do. Likewise if you live somewhere that you can walk/bike to work- that saves you gas/vehicle expenses as well...Keene & Hanover would also be likely places to find work without the need of a car...

Old 03-07-2012, 02:12 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
You are better off in warm climates.

Although NH has fewer perceived taxes and costs it can be quite expensive.

If you really with to move north then read up on Bismark, North Dakota. It's a boom town with oil production. Jobs are there.
NH aint cheap, especially where there's jobs. You want nature and not lots of people, go to North Dakota. Lots of jobs, not a lot of people. Not a lot of trees either.

I lived in ND for 3 years, and I'm choosing to retire in NH because of family and the special quality of life and everything it has to offer. It's not because its an affordable place.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:19 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Check out the Raleigh NC area - I have several relatives that have moved there in the past few years and they seem to love it and find it way cheaper cost of living than New England from which they moved. One cousin is renting in Franklinton, and another lives in Rolesville, another 2 are in Clayton. All these towns are outside Raleigh.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:15 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
I agree, NC could work-maybe somewhere around Asheville, as well.
And, Colorado; even though it's further away, in terms of flying to check out, you can probably find a decent flight from FLA to DEN. Several smaller communities with access to trails and mountains. Cost of living is mostly reasonable, and the economy is arguably stronger on the front range than in the (lower populated) NE states.

I'm not sure where people mean when they say 'out west' is cheaper than NE, however. Aside from CO, other states would have you living in a large metro area for jobs [ie, phx.], or a place without many jobs/high competition [ex: oregon]. It does, however, seem that the south would have more opportunities, with cost of living and wage factors considered.

Last edited by lrmsd; 05-22-2012 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-23-2012, 06:37 AM

29 posts, read 117,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
NH aint cheap, especially where there's jobs. You want nature and not lots of people...
Agreed, NH is not one of the cheapest areas to live. If you want to move north but still live on the east coast, I would reccomend West Virginia. It's a beautiful state, has a longer growing season than NH, cost of living is reasonable, gorgeous country up in the Appalachian mountains, Virginia is not that far, can even commute on the train to DC from Harpers Ferry WV if you needed to (although, it would be a very long commute).

Old 05-23-2012, 06:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
How much money do you expect to be paid and how much of that can you afford to spend on housing, food, and transportation. Without some numbers we are all guessing.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:50 AM

223 posts, read 540,292 times
I think you will find that the more north you go in NH the cheaper housing is - but fewer jobs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire