Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 03:24 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times

Advertisements

New Mexico? Lots of crime and hotter than you know where. And if you like trees, lakes, green...forget New Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 05:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I am aware of just how hot and dry the Southwest can be. Like the British soldier in Kipling's Poem "Six Year Man's Lament" this drizzly cold wet weather "wakes the fever in my bones". I have become tired or the cold and wet so hot and dry will be an improvement. We will probably start by just spending the winters in NM.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
New Mexico? Lots of crime and hotter than you know where. And if you like trees, lakes, green...forget New Mexico.
You got that right! in 2007, it took the cake (#1) for larceny/theft per 100K people, and for forcible rape has held the #2 spot for 4 years. Though it must be a great state, as murders are all the way down at #7. Sounds like a place I want to live.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:13 AM

FWIW - Crime statistics are of no concern to me. I own little of value that would attract thieves and attacking me has never worked out well for the attacker. Not well at all.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
FWIW - Crime statistics are of no concern to me. I own little of value that would attract thieves and attacking me has never worked out well for the attacker. Not well at all.
Yeah, you're right. I mean really, what's a few stray bullets or your car is gone, or having windows broken. Home invasions are a blast! I stand corrected.

If they are no concern, I can recommend a few places in DC and NYC where you will feel right at home.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:41 AM

29 posts, read 117,467 times
My husband and I were actually looking at homes in the Londonderry area. We relocated from the Southwest last year. I was doing some research and stumbled upon the development that Valerie brought up (very informative Valerie!) and decided not to move there. I'm glad we didn't. I definitely prefer a more rural setting with little development, yet needed to be within commuting distance to work, which is why we chose Litchfield.

From what we've seen of Londonderry, there are many beautiful little areas throughout. I think it will be kind of sad if they go the route of the Planned Master Community. I'm very familiar with these types of communities and will never again live in one. One of the many things I love about NH is the whole "Live Free or Die" attitude. I love the rural beauty, agricultural traditions and the yankee values. In my opinion, these types of planned communities are in stark contrast to the very ideals I associate with NH.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:25 AM

SS - that was uncalled for. I do not look for trouble and it has pretty much left me alone. I just do not consider it a big deal. The closes we have come to crime was a couple of JR high kids doing a drug deal outside our condo.

Arabel - Not all that many of Londonderry's current residents are all that happy with the idea either. fortunately for the town the chosen place is in an already commercialized area very near expressway noise. Most hope they can just ignore it.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
SS - that was uncalled for. I do not look for trouble and it has pretty much left me alone. I just do not consider it a big deal. The closes we have come to crime was a couple of JR high kids doing a drug deal outside our condo.

Arabel - Not all that many of Londonderry's current residents are all that happy with the idea either. fortunately for the town the chosen place is in an already commercialized area very near expressway noise. Most hope they can just ignore it.
The NM comment has nothing to do with you. It has to do with statistics. You don't need to go looking for trouble, as in rougher places it will find you. Perhaps it has left you alone. That is good for you. That is also sample size of one. Drug deals outside a person's residence (the one you saw, who knows how many others?) makes it sound like a really nice area. JMHO

Old 05-07-2012, 01:22 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
check out the tax situation in NM living there 6 months out of the year...I know NM taxes social security. Not sure how all that would work, but just in case...

Old 05-07-2012, 05:15 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
I know several people that live in MN and they are very happy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire