Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 01:22 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
thanks.. 'ok' is a relative term. apparently, from the trauma of the accident, the myelin sheathing on the brain nerves have separated from the grey matter of his brain -near the brain stem. The result of all this is that parts of his brain can't communicate with other parts.. like even being able to wake up from the coma! It's possible it may heal on it's own. He seems to be doing better today, in that his body is mostly handling things for itself. This is good because with that damage, it could easily fall into more realms of the brain not getting messages to itself to run the autonomic things like breathing and body temp. It's still too soon to tell much, but if he wakes up he will be paralyzed. and likely with some brain damage. We don't know how much.

Did anyone tell him 'not' to wear a helmet? no, just the reverse.The family would beg him to, but Like Dave.. it was his choice and he didn't want to wear it. Now his wife of 4 years has to deal with that choice for a very long time. She is in the process of trying to sell his auto-painting business (he'll never do it again) while it is still a viable business.

I doubt it was moose - he was in Nashua. yeah, it's hard not to know, but frankly his future -if he has one (and they're being optimistic enough to want to do jaw surgery on Friday. yesterday they didn't want to)- is definitely worse.

No, I know it's a choice, that's what NH is about and I'm not in favor of nanny laws. but I believe in 'common sense.' as the sign says entering the state about seatbelts: "common sense for all" and I feel that applies to helmets. Chris also hit the guardrail. He may have been perfectly fine driving, maybe he hit some leaves? Maybe someone ran him off the road? no idea. there are things you can control and things you can't control and the accidents don't necessarily kill you.

It just makes me cringe because it could so easily happen to another who thinks the same way. But that aside...

Dave does take lovely pictures.

Thanks for the update..still holding him in prayer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 03:49 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,134 times
Great pics, Dave. You make me homesick, and now that I have a MC, you make me want to ride back in NH and see some of the great places you ride to.

Maybe we can ride together someday (with Greg too). I'll be wearing a helmet, though, one that will soak up some trauma before it gets to my noggin. Probably a DOT 1/2 or 3/4 helmet depending on the weather. They can reconstruct my jaw, but not my brain.

You are right - it should be left up to the individual's choice. You know the risks and make an informed choice.

Wanna - stories like yours are what makes me want to wear a helmet (never did before my military days). I got a wife and 6 year old son I'd like to see again and you just cant trust drivers on the roads these days. Too much craziness and self-centeredness. Best wishes and prayers for your nephew...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire