Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 05:12 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,179,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfry View Post
Read my DM. I don't want to spoil Katlakat's moment!!
LOL no worries-I'm quite behind here since we just now got internet yesterday. I wanted to point out-for the Mass ppl moving to NH-I was born in Lynn (the city of sin, you never go out the way you came in) and my family moved us out of the boston suburb to NH for a quieter life when I was around 6 years old. So, when I told that thrift store guy he could move back to mass, it was basically to shush him up-the car was running and we could only get as far as a foot out the exit door. LOL

So, I am traditionally a Mass transplant from like 1981-but my two sisters were mugged in middle school and mum said, to NH or bust, even way back then. So no disrespect there Mass ppl. Kk? I wonder, when we change our car plates, will people still give us the finger? We got a few-which is surprising how bad people are in a hurry, when we're not even in a busy city. What is the rush? Ah well, and so it goes....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_homes View Post
Congrats on moving back to NH! I left 2 years ago and I do miss it. I'm thankfull I have family ties there so I can go back as often as I need to.... I do NOT miss the cold though.

Sounds like you had a great adventure! Welcome home!
Thank you! Our adventure was great. We sure got camping out of our system for at least a year. Plus we have 3 free nights at Gunstock because we found a house the first day we looked. So we in sorts, received a refund. I have family here, somewhere. I saw my sister on the way up. She was terrified and held me for 15 minutes when I pounded on her door. I think she thought we were running away from a volcano about to burst or something, not sure what the story was there, but she force fed me Italian sausages and spaghetti and made me eat until she was happy. My cousins in Boston whom I'm rather fond of, just bought a house in Florida, and that same sister is looking for a house in Texas. Every time I move close to family, they split. I'm going to get a complex about this very soon!!!! The cold is what they are running from, so I believe you hit it right on there.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Congratulations to you Katlakat !!!
I know you, your hubby and your pets will enjoy your new home.

So far so good. I hear a relaxing sigh most of all from my mother in law. She told her mother when we moved in that if she thought for one moment about moving back to Illinois, to please restrain her. That made me laugh. I think she's affected most of all. The dogs think we're still camping. They began pouting when we finally took the tent down. They have about 4 acres up and down this hill to sniff, and the cats are quite content. We have this ledge that the cats think its just very funny to reach their paws out and tap us on the head as we climbe the stairs. Then they take off. If cats could laugh, these two would be heckling all the way. Pay back is going to take some creativity....he he he.

Hubby? Last I checked, he's happy. He looks out at the mountains, and the only thing he's said so far is, "I've never had a view that wasn't a neighbors house." I'll take that as a complement to NH. Can't wait for lobster. These two are gonna have a feeding frenzy!

Old 10-09-2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
Congrats Kat.

I know what it feels like to finally be here. Isn't it great?
Sounds like you have a great place too... well done!

I too, finally arrived in NH on Monday, met my moving truck from CA on Tuesday and unloaded into storage, and found a winter beach rental with short-term lease on Wednesday. Today I moved in, and tonight I write sitting in my kitchen just 200ft from the beach in Rye. My Wife, toddler daughter and 11mth son arrive on Saturday by which time I think the leaves will really start to turn.

We missed the storms today on the seacoast. They are currently off to the northwest and southeast. Saw the lightning tonight during a cool walk on the beach.

Best of luck from a fellow arriver.
- Rob.
GRATZY ROB!!! Most excellent! I told my family about fellow poineers trekking from California. They smiled really big. I think it helped them adjust to their new states knowing others have done the same thing, and not only 100 years ago. The trees have peaked in stages here, and perhaps this weekend will be the most color they have seen since they lived in Michigan.

How awesome to be at the beach! I haven't taken them out that way yet. They are Michigan lakers, and don't care for the sea salty air, but that's ok. Our 5th wedding anniversary is 10-26 and I want lobsta....and will go out to the ocean that Sunday toting them along. Post pictures!!! I can smell the air, feel the breeze as you wrote your post. Amazing, and congratulations, welcome to heaven on earth my friend.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleybell00 View Post
Congrats Kat!! I love how everything just fell into place for you! I'm going to break out my map to find Belmont. What a great experience. Keep us posted on how you're settling and how hubby handles the winter
I had to read your post to my mum in law standing over my shoulder. She hears clicking up here and came to investigate. LOL Other than her bout with food poisoning, it was just as it should be, a reprieve. Finally something goes right for this family! The last 3 years have been ugly struggles up stream and finally we just decided to float along, and how sweet it was. Its still going well. We're finding awesome deals, free furniture from our landlord, bought our beds for cheap at Biglots-great sale last weekend, and garage sales for winter things. Hubby is what we call a true fire element. He sweats and puts off heat even in the dead of winter. Living in Texas about melted him, so he prefers the coldest of cold. I refused Alaska, which was his dream, so hopefully we settled in the closest cold climate to everyone's liking. 4 seasons, he will enjoy. We have a running joke that the heat follows him everywhere. It was 85-92 the week we camped, and just 86 two days ago. Our house doesn't have central anything, just lots of windows. So he melted and took very cold showers to cool off. It was 50 this morning and I have on flannel and a thick robe. I look like santa claus. He won't let me shut the windows. He's all sprawled out in shorts in a 48 degree room just basking in the cold. Brr...

I think today, I'll buy that electric fireplace on sale I saw. And promptly park my rear in front of it. Even the dogs left the room, they will freak at snow-don't think they've seen much of it.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
Allright! You made it!!!

That grin looks awfully familiar!!! Yay!!! What an adventure. Its good to be home.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Congrads to both rmcewan and Kat!!! I cant wait for the time that I am saying yay I made it too. Good luck to you both and your families on your new life in NH.
Thank you! I can't wait for you to come too. Its so exciting to read how people get along in their new places on earth. Its so scary, but thrilling at the same time. Like a roller coaster, and hopefully without the wretching afterwards. LOL Now to win over the locals, they seem to drive by very slowly and peer. It could be the haunted graveyard we built out front, or the massive halloween lights, or just my hand in the air waving and telling them to take a picture, it will last longer.......hahah.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMX View Post
Congratulations to Katlakat and rmcewan on your moves!

Please tell us what it's like as you settle in over the next few months.
So far everything is alrighty in my book. It took the propane guy 5 long days to show up to turn on our gas. That means, we had no hot water for 5 days. And for anyone out there who wanted to know: it takes 2.5 hours to fill a bath tub with two spaghetti pots of hot water. Also that meant no heat, and two of the 5 nights got pretty chilly. But we have hot pups who snuggle, and who would have thought kitty kats put off so much snuggly heat?? here kitty kitty....Mum is cold!

The prices are outstanding in the food stores. We live in Belmont, which is close to Tilton and Laconia. We love Tilton. There is Lowe's home depot, awesome diner, lots of shops, and we try to stay away from Walmart. Its actually more expensive then the shops. We keep going in, then come out empty handed. We just can't bring ourselves to buy anything, its rather expensive.

curtains were cheaper at biglots and Lowe's if you can believe that.

We found a recycling place, and the locals are keen on giving us great places to shop for the best deals. Belmont itself, I can't quite figure out. If it has a downtown area, its under the mountain. All I can find are the schools nestled between the hills, and a few streets. Its spread out on this mountain here, but close to 93 and route 3, and 11A and all of that. I'm in love with Irving station's coffee. There is a dunkin' donuts on every corner, as Val mentioned in a few posts, other than that, this is out in the country I think. Its nice up here. And always a breeze up the mountain.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I am so glad to hear that you trek half-way across the country has brought you back home to New Hampshire! And just amazed and so happy that you were able to find yourself a rental home. It sounds PERFECT!!! Belmont is a great place to be... I'm SO glad you're not going to be camping this winter!

I am just so inspired by you and your journey. You did it--Whoo Hoo!

And a big "Welcome!" to you as well rmcewan! I think your trip might have been "in the planning" for a bit longer than Kat's but you arrived during the same week, how cool is that! AND you also found yourself a rental-good for you! What a fantastic place to be, Rye Beach is beautiful no matter what the season. You'll LOVE the winter storms (now be sure to go beachcombing after the winter storms, and bring a basket or a bucket!!) Did you end up using any of those links that I posted (I think it one of them was probably the Rye Real Estate Network) The leaves are just starting to show some color in southern NH. You both got here just in time for the show. Enjoy it, it doesn't last too long...

Anyway, WELCOME to New Hampshire We're very happy to have you!
I think my sister was worried we'd have to camp into the cold. It felt like we were in sync with everything, how it all fell into place, like there was no other way it would have happened? The first day of the add for this house, mum called and we saw it right away. We brought back Mike to ask the manly questions, propane this, wires that, emergency shut off, pipes and more wires, blah blah.. LOL We took it that day. The man is so nice. He offered us furniture from his shed at his place, and his ex wife lives next to us, this is half of her investment too. They have an autistic son, and this house is his, in another 9 years when he's old enough to live here. She introduced herself, and offered us jobs at her nursing home she workes in, but none of us are in the health care profession, but still it was very sweet of her.

We have a Shaws, and a market basket. Want to know how back woods we lived in Illinois? We spent 4 hours in Market basket looking at all the "new foods" we had never seen before. I'm sure its not new, but to us, it was like disney land. I walked out with FLUFF and FRANKFURTER ROLLS, of which I haven't had in almost 15 years.

We had hot dogs, and mum couldn't figure out the frankfurter rolls. I showed her the slit in the top, she said, "where is the crust"...HAHHA THAT'S THE MAGIC!!!! Frankfurter rolls for the win!!!

Old 10-09-2007, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angellewis View Post
Kat, I want to say congrats moving to a beautiful country home. The discription of the home and land is exactly what I am looking for too. maybe my hubby and I can move up that way from Weirton West Virginia in few yrs. I am tired of the hot hot weathers. Your pictures are beautiful.

Thank you Angellewis. It was like pure magic before our eyes. When we saw that bright yellow house, we just about laughed until we cried. The rent is 3 times, maybe more than what we paid in Illinois, but split three ways, its only double what we paid. It feels like we moved on up to the east side, in a deluxe apartment in the skyy.........

It was just perfect. And my pictures just don't do justice. We have seen the most magical things since we moved in. We watch the sunlight move across the trees miles away, and can see clouds on the tops on the moutain. Our view is of the sunsets, as we look west. I have never known a more magical sunset. The man who rented us this house makes sunrooms for a living across all of the NE states, and of course we have a brand new sunroom facing the sunset. I think I'll write many chapters in that room come spring.

Whatever you do, don't settle for anything less than extraordinary. Keep waiting, and something meant to be will show itself. Just when we're about to "settle" something amazing pops up out of the blue.

Today we get satellite television. We haven't been able to afford it, since we needed internet for our business, it came only with cable where we lived in Illinois. But we never got more than basic cable channels. Well, we went all out, DSL, home phone, and satellite. We've waited all weekend for the guy to show, but he didn't on Friday, so we got our first month free. woo hoo!! So we have our jammies picked out, our popcorn bowl, doggy snacks and cat nip, we don't have any furniture, but have mounds of pillows on the floor in our empty living room with one TV-for what else? MOVIE NIGHT TONIGHT!!!! And I get to pick the movie. I can't remember how many channels we get, but it will still be fun to own the remote! mwhaha!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire