Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:17 PM

15 posts, read 41,073 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

My Partner and I will be moving to NH in the next month and are looking at places to rent in the Manchester Area. He will be going to the Pharmacy School (MCPHS) there.

We are looking on advice about what areas would be good places to look for some sort of rental property, or apartment? We are coming from Overland Park KS, which is in Johnson County, not really looking for the same kind of vibe as we both find Overland Park very....overpopulated ..to say the least but do not want to feel like we are in the rural areas either.

After doing some research and looking at the maps,we are considering Nashua and it doesn't look to be to far from Manchester, but looks can be deceiving.

Honestly we are both lost, Neither of us have even been to the New England states so have no idea what to expect. I myself moved to Kansas from Texas so it seems I am only going further north lol

Back on topic if anyone can just maybe give us some general advice on what areas are Ok and which areas to avoid? What area are there things to see/do or are at least within driving distance?
We do not have children so school districts do not really matter at the moment to either of us.
Our rent budget right know is about Maximum $1000.00 but could go up a bit if the property warranted it, just wanted to mention this so that people who respond can take that into consideration.

Thanks for any and all response or advice that is given!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 05:43 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
I'd say Nashua is about 30-40 minutes away...Concord is about 20. It really depends "where" in Nashua.

I'd checkout rentals in Amherst, Bedford, Merrimack, etc. Realistically I think the best parts of Manchester are between Elm Street and the river (or that area). I don't think it will be hard to tell "bad" areas...the cities in NH have pretty clearly defined "hey- this is not where I'd prefer to live" areas...it's not like some places where one street is nice/the next falling apart- then the pattern repeats.

I guess the big question is what's a "good" driving distance? Manchester itself or Concord itself would be more urban. Nashua still is "large town" to me by comparison...and the surrounding towns are somewhere between suburban (most of Bedford) to populated-rural (Amherst, Hollis, Merrimack), etc...

Old 07-01-2012, 05:44 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Oh, and congrats to him...some friends I know who have gone there have really enjoyed/gotten a lot from the school. Not sure what weather is like in Overland Park but the BEST advice we ever got was "find something you like to do in the winter" (snow shoeing for us)...don't lock yourself up inside and realize the world doesn't stop...we can handle the snow (and it's not THAT bad).

Old 07-02-2012, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the reply, its helpful to get some ideas on where to look. Do you think our price range will be a problem? Looking at craigslist it seems that the price range of properties to rent are rather spread out and a lot of them seem to emphasize that they include Heat and Hot Water? Is it common for places to not have those amenities?

Thanks again for any replies!

Old 07-02-2012, 11:34 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjermin View Post
Thanks for the reply, its helpful to get some ideas on where to look. Do you think our price range will be a problem? Looking at craigslist it seems that the price range of properties to rent are rather spread out and a lot of them seem to emphasize that they include Heat and Hot Water? Is it common for places to not have those amenities?

Thanks again for any replies!
It is a mixed bag. Heat in apartments is usually electric baseboards and the cost is usually not included although some complexes might have that factored into the montly rent price. I would also look and see what is available for houses to rent. Supply seems to be up and more homeowners are looking to supplement their higher property taxes by renting out a portion of their house or in-law apartment. Concord might be another option if you are looking for a "city" in a smaller overall package. You will like NH as it is NOTHING like Overland Park. I should know as I used to live in that area

Old 07-02-2012, 08:02 PM

Awesome! Yeah Overland Park is just so...blah lol i cant think of another way to describe it. The people here act like they live in Beverly Hills or something, anyways off my soapbox.

Thanks so much for the advice! Any further comments would be greatly appreciated as well!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Awesome! Yeah Overland Park is just so...blah lol i cant think of another way to describe it. The people here act like they live in Beverly Hills or something, anyways off my soapbox.

Thanks so much for the advice! Any further comments would be greatly appreciated as well!
Other things that will likely be more expensive: vehicle registration, electricity, cable, and internet. Things that will likely be less expensive: any store bought food (no sales tax), clothing (no sales tax), and no tax on income gleaned within the state (interest and dividend income are taxed).

"Yeah Overland Park is just so...blah lol i cant think of another way to describe it. The people here act like they live in Beverly Hills or something, anyways off my soapbox."

No need to apologize. The culture in OP has morphed into a "Stepford Wives" meets Plano, TX conformist alien landscape I never fit in there and I surely have no intention of moving back, regardless of how much money I could make. IMHO living in a place you dislike just isn't worth it if you're constantly thinking of the next vacation to escape being there

Old 07-03-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
"No need to apologize. The culture in OP has morphed into a "Stepford Wives" meets Plano, TX conformist alien landscape I never fit in there and I surely have no intention of moving back, regardless of how much money I could make. IMHO living in a place you dislike just isn't worth it if you're constantly thinking of the next vacation to escape being there
I agree completely, I am originally from Texas so i understand the Plano reference lol

I am excited about moving to NH to be honest and cannot wait. We will look into Concord and see how the commute would be. I myself will be going to SNHU so will have to see how the travel situation will work.

I am a little scared to have a long commute because of all the snow, but I suppose its something I could adapt to.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I agree completely, I am originally from Texas so i understand the Plano reference lol

I am excited about moving to NH to be honest and cannot wait. We will look into Concord and see how the commute would be. I myself will be going to SNHU so will have to see how the travel situation will work.

I am a little scared to have a long commute because of all the snow, but I suppose its something I could adapt to.
The commute time between Concord and Manchester is 30 minutes even with some traffic. I wouldn't worry about snow issues on I-93 and I-293. The highways are always cleared very fast on those routes and only an enormous snowstorm would ever shut things down (on the order of 16-24 inches). Those storms just don't happen very often. I would recommend snow tires if you're worried about winter traction, but that would likely be a better investment if you did more driving on gravel and dirt roads in rural parts of the state.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:14 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:

You may want to invest in snow tires for peace of mind. Or find a used set on craigslist.
Why not just look for a place as close to school for both of you as possible for the first year. Then look around and explore until you find the right place.

Enjoy no sales and income tax! I've been to Lawrence, Shawnee Missions, Mission HIlls and KC.... I think you'll enjoy the northeast and trips to Boston and the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire