Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 08:46 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3513 View Post
I'm lucky in that I will still be working for my current company in the DC area. I work in IT so everything can be done remotely from anywhere with a stable high speed internet connection.
LOL stable? Ha Ha Ha he said stable! You can have hi speed satellite, maybe cable but stable isn't going to be any part of it.

A lot of out back places will not have cable until some time in the next century. Satellite always depends on weather, and can be out of drag at a snail pace.

We just got wife to the hardwired phone and that i more stable but i am not so sure it is faster. It too seems affected by weather.

When you get up this way be sure to day so since I love watching new people in NH learn to drive on snow...... I spent 2 years living in Md just outside DC and no one there had a clue..... 1 inch of snow and everyone I knew was after me to go get milk and bread at the store, and I was made to feel God like for it!

Even the Local fire dept was after me to drive trucks in winter time. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 10:34 AM

238 posts, read 315,379 times
Maybe a multihomed solution would mitigate some of the stability problems. That is, if you're lucky enough to live somewhere that has access to two high speed pipes.

Can One Home Network Share Two Internet Connections?

Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 AM

15 posts, read 34,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeti View Post
Maybe a multihomed solution would mitigate some of the stability problems. That is, if you're lucky enough to live somewhere that has access to two high speed pipes.

Can One Home Network Share Two Internet Connections?

This is not a bad idea, as my firewall has multi WAN capability and is failover capable. My guess though is that if there are 2 companies offering High Speed, they probably share the same lines. I suppose I could get a cable line and DSL, but DSL really isn't fast enough for what I need and in a perfect world, i'd prefer to not have to pay twice a month for internet. Hopefully it will be a non issue as the area is serviced by Time Warner and they say they have up to 50 Mbps...in theory that should be stable, regardless of weather, but time will tell!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
LOL stable? Ha Ha Ha he said stable! You can have hi speed satellite, maybe cable but stable isn't going to be any part of it.

A lot of out back places will not have cable until some time in the next century. Satellite always depends on weather, and can be out of drag at a snail pace.

We just got wife to the hardwired phone and that i more stable but i am not so sure it is faster. It too seems affected by weather.

When you get up this way be sure to day so since I love watching new people in NH learn to drive on snow...... I spent 2 years living in Md just outside DC and no one there had a clue..... 1 inch of snow and everyone I knew was after me to go get milk and bread at the store, and I was made to feel God like for it!

Even the Local fire dept was after me to drive trucks in winter time. LOL

I was thinking the same thing. When we have wicked bad storms one can lose power (I lose power at least once a year)... and it can take days for power/cable to come back up. I once checked into a hotel in Mass (closest I could find with internet and power) so I could work (I'm in IT and I work from home). And things are fixed faster on the seacoast.

I'd think carefully of backup plans in case power/cable and no internet occurs. My backup is finding a hotel.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:30 AM

I'm in the beginning of the final stretch for the move. I have a set date of 12/13 to head up to Littleton! I should have an apartment in the next week or so. Any recomendations for things I need or need to do in preparation of moving up in the winter? I'm taking my car in to get service. Is there any special steps I should have the mechanic take to make my car more winter proof? Is it an absolute necessity to have snow tires in the winter as opposed to all weather (i have an AWD car)? Any recomendations for good snow cleaning equipment (i know it's a silly question, but all of the 5 dollar scrapers/brushes i have to clean my car here in MD never make it through the season and end up cracking and breaking)? Anything else that is a must have type stuff for the winter? Please excuse my ignorance! Thanks for the help!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:01 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3513 View Post
I'm in the beginning of the final stretch for the move. I have a set date of 12/13 to head up to Littleton! I should have an apartment in the next week or so. Any recomendations for things I need or need to do in preparation of moving up in the winter? I'm taking my car in to get service. Is there any special steps I should have the mechanic take to make my car more winter proof? Is it an absolute necessity to have snow tires in the winter as opposed to all weather (i have an AWD car)? Any recomendations for good snow cleaning equipment (i know it's a silly question, but all of the 5 dollar scrapers/brushes i have to clean my car here in MD never make it through the season and end up cracking and breaking)? Anything else that is a must have type stuff for the winter? Please excuse my ignorance! Thanks for the help!

If your parking out doors, the absolute BEST recommendaiton I can give is to get an automatic car starter, Not only will it make your car toasty warm to get into, but it will help the snow and ice just slide right off when the car is warmed up vs. fiddling with an ice scrapper, even if you have a garage at home, its still nice to have an auto-starter for when your at work and your car is parked outside all day long.

Are snow tires absolutly nessasary, I dont think so, especially if you have AWD, with that said, I would definitly recommend them. they will help your steering and your stopping and make your AWD car pretty much a best in the snow.

Lastly I will second the previous posts about finding something to do in winter and embracing it. I am a big snowmobiler, a skier/snowboarder and i recently picked up a pair of snow shoes. Winter is one of my favorite seasons. If you lock yourself inside all winter you will be miserable.

Good luck and enjoy, your moving to a beautiful area and if your into the outdoors you will be in heaven.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:23 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,754 times
Keep a small snow shovel in your trunk. I don't, but sometimes I wish I did because I've been almost completely plowed-in in my parking spot at work.

In addition to outdoor activities, try to do some indoor events too. For example, I look forward to going into Boston for a day around xmas time. It sort of became a tradition for us. We also do some expos like auto shows or home show type things in the winter. After a couple winters I kinda look forward to that as much as the outdoor stuff.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:32 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
I'd get snow tires, even with AWD. Littleton is very hilly.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:12 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
Have you looked into small towns in Virginia...there are plenty of them (for example, Winchester), or Roanoke (slightly larger) that won't get the extreme winters of NH. Virginia is a beautiful state...what you're looking for might be right in your own back yard! And I think the adjustment might be alot easier for you.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:33 PM

I've lived in the DC area my whole life. Never more than a few miles from DC or VA, and I currently work in VA everyday and something just feels off about it. It is nice once you get past the Northern Virginia area though. One of my reasons for leaving the area is that I desperately want to get away from the heat in the summer. I think this past summer we had over a month of super humid 90+ degree days with a bunch of them being over 100.

I'm not scared of the cold (at least I don't think so--ask me again come april) and I think I should adjust well. I spent some time in Rochester, NY for college and it was cold and snowy, but I liked it. I just didn't have a car back then, so no idea what I'd need to make sure it keeps running! If I did have to pick a smaller town around this area though, i'd probably pick Frostburg or Cumberland MD.

I have my heart set on New Hampshire though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire