Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:15 AM

132 posts, read 195,951 times

Advertisements

I've been in NH for about 3 weeks now, trying to find a place to settle. I have been around the Conway area, hiked several wilderness trails, driven all around the White Mts., been in Lincoln for almost a week.
I have noticed an unusual lack of birds. Every place I've lived before, from the mountains of Co. to NYC, I wake up to the chirping of birds. You would see birds flying around all the time, even in Manhattan. But not in NH. I'm talking a major difference.
It's eerie. Like a Twilight Zone episode or a Hitchcock movie in reverse. I keep looking for Rod Serling or Hitch to show up.
Is there an explanation for this? 90% of the birds couldn't have flown south as early as mid-August when I first got here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 10:33 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtneer12 View Post
I've been in NH for about 3 weeks now, trying to find a place to settle. I have been around the Conway area, hiked several wilderness trails, driven all around the White Mts., been in Lincoln for almost a week.
I have noticed an unusual lack of birds. Every place I've lived before, from the mountains of Co. to NYC, I wake up to the chirping of birds. You would see birds flying around all the time, even in Manhattan. But not in NH. I'm talking a major difference.
It's eerie. Like a Twilight Zone episode or a Hitchcock movie in reverse. I keep looking for Rod Serling or Hitch to show up.
Is there an explanation for this? 90% of the birds couldn't have flown south as early as mid-August when I first got here.
i wouldn't call it a bad thing. birds are annoying to wake up to. i'm thinking of investing into a BB gun. bye bye birdie

Old 09-07-2012, 11:29 AM

477 posts, read 899,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
i wouldn't call it a bad thing. birds are annoying to wake up to. i'm thinking of investing into a BB gun. bye bye birdie
You are so wrong. Bird song is the best alarm clock.

To the OP, I have not noticed any lack of birds of late. Just as plentiful as always.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:40 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,338 times
Funny that you posted this. About three weeks ago, I was sitting out in the forested section of the yard, and became acutely aware that I wasn't hearing any bird song at all. Earlier in the summer, I heard lots of cardinals, robins, and other birds, but for about two hours that day, I heard no birds. I too thought it was very odd, so went online to see if there was a reason. I found this report by the NH Audubon: http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/bird...ds_NH_2009.pdf Part of it states: "So how are New Hampshire’s birds doing? Of 186 breeding species, 42 are clearly increasing and 65 decreasing. Of the remainder, 27 appear stable and 52 either show uncertain trends or lack sufficient data entirely." It's a lot more complicated than that, best to read the report if you're interested.

I also read this: U.S. Global Change Research Information Office and found that songbirds are in decline for several reasons, including loss of habitat and climate change. I found this PBS show that was really interesting - a lot of it focuses on songbirds in New Hampshire: Video: Saving Songbirds | Watch NHPTV Special Productions Online | NHPTV Video

Old 09-07-2012, 01:39 PM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
Earlier in the summer, I heard lots of cardinals, robins, and other birds, but for about two hours that day, I heard no birds.
Same at my house. Earlier in the summer there was one bird that would perch at the very top of my tallest hemlock and belt out a very loud tune. No idea what kind of bird it was, but nothing I heard in the prior 8 years. He did this every day, all day, for a few weeks. Now its pretty quiet.

Also maybe related- very few squirrels all summer. Like none. Starting to see them now though.

Last edited by avlis13013; 09-07-2012 at 02:17 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 01:44 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHForester View Post

To the OP, I have not noticed any lack of birds of late. Just as plentiful as always.
I have , big time. For about 2 weeks now.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:50 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHForester View Post

agree to disagree...you are entitled to your opinion. when my alarm goes off, it is master of puppets by metallica. hell yeah!

Old 09-07-2012, 04:16 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,327 times
I'm still seeing birds as usuall. All except those tasty Canadian Geese. Anybody got a hot spot filled with those honkers? After all it is the early CG hunting season in swing right now.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:21 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
lots of birds here too - cardinals, bluebirds, yellow finches, purple finch, - even the hummingbirds are still here

Old 09-07-2012, 05:49 PM

477 posts, read 899,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stackhouse View Post
agree to disagree...you are entitled to your opinion. When my alarm goes off, it is master of puppets by metallica. Hell yeah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire