Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 12:11 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,405 times

Advertisements

Sweetbottoms, are you in Florida? I only ask becuase your location says swampcentral, lol.

Boston is one of two places I will be returning to from overseas, just havent decided. The other is Tampa, FL ... are you unhappy there? The choice between Boston/Manchester or Tampa is very difficult for my wife and I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 06:25 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
Don't rule out Massachusetts. It's not as bad as people here make it out to be. There are more jobs there. You can either commute from S.NH or rent a place in MA temporarily until you get your feet planted. In other words, start out at a place where you have the highest chance of success, then make a goal to migrate to your dream location when the timing is right. And even if you start out in MA, it doesn't mean you can't come up to visit NH.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:02 AM

31 posts, read 65,766 times
Ugh, I was hoping the job market was pretty good up there. I'm in New Mexico right now (yes, that's in the US, lol) and our unemployment is hovering around 9%. I'm hoping to talk hubby into moving up there in a year or so, but that of course hinges on being able to find work. I was born/raised in MA until I was 14, and have been desperate to get back to New England since!

Old 09-20-2012, 02:56 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Sweetbottoms, are you in Florida? I only ask becuase your location says swampcentral, lol.

Boston is one of two places I will be returning to from overseas, just havent decided. The other is Tampa, FL ... are you unhappy there? The choice between Boston/Manchester or Tampa is very difficult for my wife and I.

yes we are in SWFL and we want out BADLY. We made the mistake of moving back after a bad year in NH and I regretted it not long after. Now that I have my daughter I can't get out fast enough. Between the crime, weather and overall overcrowding we are going out of our minds!

We are looking in Mass also really anywhere from Mass up (altho not really Maine unless it was right over the border from Portsmouth!)

Old 09-20-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
okay, nashua's next window for hiring is december... The Official Website of the Nashua Police Department - Nashua, NH - Careers

My husband no longer wants to be a patrol officer, even though he is still certed in NH to be one. He's focusing only on being a 911 dispatcher (which he has 8 years experience in ) so I think thats what our hang up is right now.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:53 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My husband no longer wants to be a patrol officer, even though he is still certed in NH to be one. He's focusing only on being a 911 dispatcher (which he has 8 years experience in ) so I think thats what our hang up is right now.
Well, this is a simple one to solve. You tell him to sleep on the couch, don't feed him, and say it's going to remain that way until he decides to take a police officer job

But seriously, can't he take the officer job first and find a dispatcher job later?

Old 09-21-2012, 01:12 AM

Sweetbottoms, sorry to hear this, I do hope you and your husband are able to land on your feet where you want to.

I am curious only because Tampa like I said is one of two places that my wife and I are considering (NH being the other), when you say SWFL do you mean Tampa or lower? Is it really that bad for you?

Old 09-21-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Sweetbottoms, sorry to hear this, I do hope you and your husband are able to land on your feet where you want to.

I am curious only because Tampa like I said is one of two places that my wife and I are considering (NH being the other), when you say SWFL do you mean Tampa or lower? Is it really that bad for you?
I'm lower Tampa is 2 hours north of me I'm in Naples. I've not lived in Tampa before so I can't tell you anything about it other than every hurricane that misses us hits them. We just are really unhappy in the state, lots of crime HIGH amount of sex offenders and no on speaks english it seems! We have a direct interstate right to Miami (Alligator Alley) and that means direct access to drugs from Mexican cartels and gangs come straight through out to what we call the Estates where its rural and use abandon homes as their drug houses. Weekly there are drug busts of entire grow houses, a few weeks ago we had 3 murders in a week and then an ice cream store was robbed with a freakin machine gun... I'm over it.. Plus the endless summer.. Know that summer lasts here from April till Dec (when you will still have your A/C on for Christmas) Our heat index yesterday was 99 with and humidity hovers around 70%. Its hard to get into the holiday spirit when you buy a pumpkin thats beein in a "pumpkin patch" sitting outside in 90 degrees for days or weeks and u carve it and put it outside and it molds in 3 days.. Happens every year so I gave up and we don't get em anymore. Christmas trees are so expensive here too! I remember in NH I bough a 6 foot tree out of a guys front yard and dragged it home for $35 . My father bought a 7 ft last year for 90 and theyr'e mostly dead cause they have to be shipped down.. Ugh I'm depressed thinking about it. We bought a fake tree years ago to compensate for the lack of real.. Its also depressing to look at.. all plastic and shiny..

Old 09-21-2012, 06:07 AM

Didnt mean to stir up some bad feelings, I do thank you for your answer, some of the things you mention are a high concern for my wife and I already. I do wish you the best of luck trying to get to NH. Hopefully the job market will start to improve and open up some opportunities.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:02 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
Have you thought of Vermont for Criminal Justice. They may waiver some or most of your husband's training. Some agencies may even not require you to live in Vermont (I know this USED to be the case 15 or so years ago). Check out this website: Home | Vermont Criminal Justice Training Council
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire