Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 12:13 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,453 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
After a couple of weeks of warmer fall weather, the rain last night reminded me that I've got to get my Jeep ready for winter.
So I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee purchased in So. California. It's a V8 4x4 with stock road tires. Questions are:

1. Anybody know if trucks sold up here come with additional underbody protection from the factory for the tougher (slightly ;-) winters ?
2. I have a number of spots on the paintwork (from bird poop!) and dings (from morons) that expose the undercoat or in a couple of cases are through to the metal. Any recommendations for preventing rust starting in these spots?
3. Do people hose down their cars periodically in winter to remove salt layers or just go through to March and then start getting regular car washes again?
4. Replace the current road tires with dual-purpose all-terrains or just get a winter set of studded tires? Chains are a PITA if you ask me.

Thanks folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 12:34 PM

39 posts, read 176,215 times
I know my father used to have his care undercoated every 3 years...but he was anal about his car..lol. I don't think you can legally have studded tires before November 1st anyway..and yes..you usually need an alignment and a new rear end (meaning your butt) by the end of the winter. If this is your 1st winter in NH..then I would suggest maybe staying off the roads the first couple snow storms. This is not alluding to your abilities..but it usually takes a couple good ones for people to REMEMBER how to drive in the stuff..lol.

If you have good tread..all terrains will be fine.

Taking the Jeep in for a spary of undercoating might be useful and prudent in preventing rust. Especially if it's damaged.

When I lived up there...I'd get my car washed once every couple of weeks in the winter..to keep the grime off..but keep an eye on the weather...if you're in sub zero temps..might be best to wait till it warms up a bit.

Preping the Jeep would include getting the coolant checked for the cold weather, maybe getting the oil changed to a lower weight for easier starting, batteries checked, etc. It might also be a good idea to keep some lock deicer on hand...sometimes the freezing rain can get in and cause problems...or water from car wash.

Just some helpful hints.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:57 PM

139 posts, read 351,420 times
if you decide to get your car washed during the colder weather and expect freezing temps within the day it is a good idea to make sure that your car is driven for a few miles after the car wash to get rid of any left over water .

Old 10-07-2007, 03:31 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,006 times
My husband and I are debating on purchasing a car here in So Cali and towing it with us when we move or buying one when we get there. I wanted to know, do cars back east already have the winter packages installed in them, or are they extras like they are here. I mean like the warm package, with the engine heater, heated steering wheel, and heated seats, etc..

Old 10-07-2007, 05:26 PM

951 posts, read 1,653,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
So I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee purchased in So. California. It's a V8 4x4 with stock road tires.
What year is the Jeep. I need that to craft my answers.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
I wanted to know, do cars back east already have the winter packages installed in them, or are they extras like they are here. I mean like the warm package, with the engine heater, heated steering wheel, and heated seats, etc..
Usually those items are part of an upgrade package. Not all vehicles have those even available. A heated steering wheel, for instance, is usually a high end car option. Heated seats are increasing in popularity; I had them in my '99 Yukon and I loved them!! Engine block heaters are also not too typical. They can be found in some packages, but usually they are offered seperately as a dealer-installed item. If it's a diesel, many of those engines come with block heaters standard. Check with the salesperson or see the parts dept.
Some manufacturers will set up the alternator, starter and battery for high cranking amps if they are sold on the Northeast. Toyota, for one, will provide a bigger battery and better starter for their vehicles sold up here automatically.

Depends on the car make you are aiming for. What are you thinking of buying?

Old 10-07-2007, 05:37 PM

2004. I'm mostly worried about the paintwork dings. Cars in CA just don't rust, and I can't remember back to my first couple of cars in the UK (they started out as rust buckets anyway). Do deep dings turn to rust spots in one year? I think I need some sort of clear lacquer to seal them. All they had in my early days was rustoleum patch (available in one color: rust - duh!)

Old 10-07-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
2004. I'm mostly worried about the paintwork dings. Cars in CA just don't rust, and I can't remember back to my first couple of cars in the UK (they started out as rust buckets anyway). Do deep dings turn to rust spots in one year? I think I need some sort of clear lacquer to seal them. All they had in my early days was rustoleum patch (available in one color: rust - duh!)
Ok. Don't worry about the oil. The factory oil weight is 5w30 in those vehicles and that works fine in NE. Do change it though along with a new air filter if it has been more than 20k miles since the last one.

Deep dings that penetrate the base coat and show metal are a problem. Yes, they can start to rust very quickly. Go back to the dealer and get a "paint stick" from the parts dept. It will match your paint properly. You then can paint up those exposed areas. After drying, get some "clear coat" to protect the painted areas. If you are not at ease to do it yourself, get it to an autobody shop. They will take care of it and it should look like new. After that has dried, wax the vehicle. I proffer pure carnuba wax. It's not cheap, but it works the best. This will provide an additional layer of protection. It makes the grime come off easier and it makes it look good too!! You should wax at least twice a year; before winter and before summer (basically Fall and Spring!).

As far as undercoating is concerned, most vehicles have a sealant underneath them from the factory. Metals are much better these days, as much of it is some form of steel alloy that inhibits rust. You can spray the floor pan and frame rails with some canned undercoating. You should use a garage lift to get it all the way up in the air and don't get the stuff on the exhaust!! It will stink to high heaven for weeks. I haven't used the stuff for years, but some people like it. Some bodyshops actually offer an undercoating service. Check around. I would also invest in a small electric powered pressure washer. They are great for getting the crap off of the car and you can blast them underneath to clean the frame, wheelwells, etc. Plus as a bonus, you can use it to clean the deck and the mower in the spring!!

Most Grand Cherokees have an all-weather tire already on them. Are you ready for replacements yet? If so, there are many options for decent tires.
What's on there now? Don't bother with studs. They are only good in icy conditions. On drier pavement they actually decrease the contact patch of the tire by raising the rubber off the road. Believe it or not, I actually heard a pizza delivery car with studs go by me in Concord the other day!! Whatever....

Old 10-07-2007, 07:26 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfry View Post
Usually those items are part of an upgrade package. Not all vehicles have those even available. A heated steering wheel, for instance, is usually a high end car option. Heated seats are increasing in popularity; I had them in my '99 Yukon and I loved them!! Engine block heaters are also not too typical. They can be found in some packages, but usually they are offered seperately as a dealer-installed item. If it's a diesel, many of those engines come with block heaters standard. Check with the salesperson or see the parts dept.
Some manufacturers will set up the alternator, starter and battery for high cranking amps if they are sold on the Northeast. Toyota, for one, will provide a bigger battery and better starter for their vehicles sold up here automatically.

Depends on the car make you are aiming for. What are you thinking of buying?
I am going to be getting the BMW X5 4.8i. They offer a full cold weather package . I just didnt know if back east, cars came with it already installed. I am a BMW fan. I love em. The drive is amazing and I love the saftey factor they provide. The closest dealership I have seen is in MA though.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
I am going to be getting the BMW X5 4.8i. They offer a full cold weather package . I just didnt know if back east, cars came with it already installed. I am a BMW fan. I love em. The drive is amazing and I love the saftey factor they provide. The closest dealership I have seen is in MA though.
Suzet,
I have a BMW 525 that I drove out here, but the lease expires next July and I do not intend to get another beemer. Why? I love em, but you just stick out here with a car like that. The X5 4.8i is going to be a pretty rare beasty in NH, and you can get a more capable 4x4 for WAAAAY less money! It is of course a VERY nice drive.

Oh, you might wanna wait until getting here before getting a new car: why? (a) no sales tax (b) you have to register it here regardless of whether you already paid in Cali, and it's more expensive here.

Lastly, all marques offer cold weather packages. The higher end will also offer factory remote start, but that can be added after market too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire