Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 AM

693 posts, read 1,139,373 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Was curious if anyone on the forum can give an idea of the RN outlook for jobs in the greater Manchester area and also a guesstimate for hourly wage for a Bachelors Science Nursing RN with 7 years hospital care experience.

Its strange, any emails sent to HR department of hospitals in NH remain either unanswered or extremely vague however, we are also considering Tampa, FL for our relocation back to the States and each of the hospitals we contacted gave very detailed responses.

Any insight to expectations for my wife as an RN relocating to NH would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,000,235 times
This article is from 2011.

"LEBANON — Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center will lay off 50 employees as it continues to close a $100 million budget gap hospital officials say was partly created by state budget cuts.

“They’re coming from across the system,” hospital spokesman Rick Adams said Monday night. “We are trying to avoid cuts in areas of direct patient care.”

The layoffs, announced Monday and effective next Monday, come about a month after the hospital announced that 291 employees had accepted a buyout offer and about a week after hospital CEO Dr. James N. Weinstein announced that the hospital would be laying off as many as 100 employees."

LINK

All of the major cities have a hospital.
Manchester has 3 one being a VA hospital.
There is also the NH Veterans Home in Tilton - a state run facility.
Even the NH prison system has nurses.

I did run across a gal who grew up in NH but nursing school in Phoenix, AZ. She has been a nurse in a Mesa, AZ hospital for 10 years. She had desires to come back to NH. She visited some of the hospitals in NH and found that the pay was somewhere/near/about $10,000 LESS then what she is making is Arizona. She did not come back to NH.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:25 AM

693 posts, read 1,139,373 times
Thanks for the post. Interestingly enough, shortly after my post a hospital replied with very good information.

The problem, you are correct, the rate of pay is about 4-5 dollars different an hour between St. Petersburg, FL and Manchester, NH. How is that??? That is upwards of $10k per year in a place that is considerably cheaper. Makes no sense.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:08 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,000,235 times
This is part of the "myth" of New Hampshire.

The gal nurse above and family lives in a beautiful modern home in a great neighborhood that today is worth about $175,000. To buy a comparable home in NH she would have to pay between $400,000 and $500,000.

So to take a pay cut and pay a sizable amount more for housing just does not make sense. And not included is the huge amount of property taxes in NH compared to AZ.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:58 AM

491 posts, read 1,373,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
The problem, you are correct, the rate of pay is about 4-5 dollars different an hour between St. Petersburg, FL and Manchester, NH. How is that??? That is upwards of $10k per year in a place that is considerably cheaper. Makes no sense.
Check out the pay rates in Mass. There is a good reason for so much traffic going south in the morning and north in the evening. I've experienced 20-30% pay increase in MA over NH.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:32 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Thanks for the post. Interestingly enough, shortly after my post a hospital replied with very good information.

RN salaries in Florida are substantially above RN wages for the country as a whole.

list of NH nurse salaries: Nurses Salaries in New Hampshire | eHow.com

Registered Nursing is the third highest paid occupation of all top U.S. occupations.
How Much Do Nurses Earn? Nursing Salary and Benefits Information

Old 10-25-2012, 05:43 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,854,274 times
Welcome to Salary.com - Salary.com can provide comparable stats.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:25 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,604 times
My understanding is that Florida gets a considerably higher Medicare reimbursement in comparison to other areas of the country. Before Medicare reform started, many places were gouging Medicare and ordering unnecessary testing. Florida was apparently one of the worst states for this. When the Feds caught wind of this and cracked down, the states that had been more efficient suddenly had to cut back even more. The states that were racking up the biggest bills just had to cut back to the level where other states were previously functioning. Doctors make more money in Florida. Washington state and Oregon may be sister states, but a doctor will make more money in Oregon, hence the reason Washington has a harder time recruiting. Lame.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,953,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
My understanding is that Florida gets a considerably higher Medicare reimbursement in comparison to other areas of the country. Before Medicare reform started, many places were gouging Medicare and ordering unnecessary testing. Florida was apparently one of the worst states for this. When the Feds caught wind of this and cracked down, the states that had been more efficient suddenly had to cut back even more. The states that were racking up the biggest bills just had to cut back to the level where other states were previously functioning. Doctors make more money in Florida. Washington state and Oregon may be sister states, but a doctor will make more money in Oregon, hence the reason Washington has a harder time recruiting. Lame.
It happens here in NH also, Lady Fern... For years, my mom has been complaining that since she retired and has gone on Medicare, every time she goes to the doctor (even just for a blood pressure check) they seem to find something that they'd like to test for. They order up bloodwork, do testing, etc. She questions EVERYTHING, every time. I'm sure they consider her a giant PITA, but she hates waste in any form, and considers it fraud when the gods in white coats want to do unnecessary testing of any sort.

One thing I've noticed is that the docs seem to want to prescribe meds for any and every thing. My mom is now 78, lives completely independently, drives daily, does her own food shopping, laundry, etc. I've been accompanying her to the doctor for just the last year or so, and the last couple of times, was surprised to hear the doctor ask if she feels 'alone' or if she ever feels 'down'. After rewording the questions a couple of times until they got the answer they are looking for, and then: "We can prescribe something for that--it's just a daily pill that can really help to balance your moods". She was really worried that they 'saw' something in her that prompted these questions--I saw it more as the doctor setting the stage to prescribe yet another medication. Anyone else had this experience??

Old 11-23-2012, 05:43 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
It happens here in NH also, Lady Fern... For years, my mom has been complaining that since she retired and has gone on Medicare, every time she goes to the doctor (even just for a blood pressure check) they seem to find something that they'd like to test for. They order up bloodwork, do testing, etc. She questions EVERYTHING, every time. I'm sure they consider her a giant PITA, but she hates waste in any form, and considers it fraud when the gods in white coats want to do unnecessary testing of any sort.

One thing I've noticed is that the docs seem to want to prescribe meds for any and every thing. My mom is now 78, lives completely independently, drives daily, does her own food shopping, laundry, etc. I've been accompanying her to the doctor for just the last year or so, and the last couple of times, was surprised to hear the doctor ask if she feels 'alone' or if she ever feels 'down'. After rewording the questions a couple of times until they got the answer they are looking for, and then: "We can prescribe something for that--it's just a daily pill that can really help to balance your moods". She was really worried that they 'saw' something in her that prompted these questions--I saw it more as the doctor setting the stage to prescribe yet another medication. Anyone else had this experience??

Sample size of only one, so take it for what it is worth, but the ex who lives in NH, being an RN with an MPH makes $75/hour. Back when at Mass General made $90/hour. (that was to answer the original question of this thread).

My experiences back a few years ago when I was in greater New England, were that the docs were extremely leery of prescribing most things... the comment of 'feeling down' or 'alone' makes me guess that is was one of the benzodiazepines/serotonin/dopamine boosters being prescribed. I considered the docs there very conservative. (I come from a family of mostly docs, in various specialties) Try going to the far East... there is no such thing as a prescription... you just go buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire