Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:26 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,835 times

Advertisements

So, new house with 2.4 acres - about half lawn and half left rough. Short (50ft) driveway to city-cleared street.

I know I need (want) a snow blower. Question is, how much snow-blower is enough? Walk into Sears and you've got a choice of like 16 models. Seriously - it's crazy there is so little difference between one model and the next most expensive. I know I don't need heavy duty, but how much HP is enough to clear 30x30ft parking area and, say, 30x15 drive in a reasonable time. What about widths and height of the intake? How many overnight 2ft snowfalls should we expect down in Strafford county?

Lawn mowers - ride-on type. Anybody know if Sears and other retailers hold sales on mowers in spring or do they jack up prices just when everyone starts mowing again? We move into our new home in mid-November, so I figure I can defer mower purchase until the spring - but will I miss out on the good deals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 07:38 PM

117 posts, read 485,977 times
Got a riding mower at Sears when we arived in Aug. it was a closeout and a good deal. Wait until winter comes and they will have good deals. We got a 5.5 HP snowblower for about 599 about a month ago. The deals on them will disappear if not gone because the winter is near. 5.5 should be enough to clear most driveways.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:14 PM

452 posts, read 1,734,469 times
rmcewan, I'd suggest considering more horse power for your snow blower. 5 horse is ok for normal fluffy snow but, if you want to move heavy wet snow more than three or four feet at a time, you may require the 8 horse power unit. With that 30x30 parking area, you'll appreciate being able to clear it without having to blow the same snow two or three times to get it out of your way.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 PM

33 posts, read 109,329 times
Yes, I agree above. It's not the size that counts, (in this case anyway). 30x30 wet, heavy snow might not move and get clogged up with anything less than a 7.5 hoarse. Would also reccomend a 2 stage. By the way, for heavy wet snow, or at least a few times a year, spray WD40 all around and in the shute and blades, helps keep the snow and slush from sticking. I would try getting a mower now if any are left, you could probably do well. If you like to find a bargain, you might make out real well on used equipment for either one of those. Try the Wantadvatiser or some local papers. Yes, You may very well see over 2' more than once this year.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
First consider hiring somebody to do it for you. Removing snow is near the bottom of my like to do list. If you insist get the biggest snowblower you or you wife can manage.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:12 AM

951 posts, read 1,656,234 times
Sears has a sale on a tractor and snow blade set up with chains, bagger and other stuff for around $1600. That will do quite a bit. The problem is that the snow at the end of the drive...you'll probably need a snow blower for that. You should get an 8 HP minimum with at least a 26"-28" opening. That will do the job. Sears is showing five or six on sale now. Others are right about sales on tractors now. Check around to others like Lowes, etc. You can find some nice units, as well as blowers.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Two more suggestions. Do not try to shovel the stuff by hand unless you are in very good shape. Shoveling wet heavy snow is not exercise it is life threatening. You could also use the naturalistic approach and use the nature provided the snow nature can take it away. Just learn to drive through the crap.

$1600 for a tractor! Yikes!

Old 10-19-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Just learn to drive through the crap.
ROFL!

Yeah, I reckon the only shoveling I'm going to be doing is clearing the doors, steps, and patio door. Unfortunately, I won't be able to delegate such tasks to the kids for several years yet!

Old 10-19-2007, 07:44 AM

67 posts, read 499,255 times
You need (want) a snowblower. Your question....."how much snow-blower is enough"?
+1 with jthibideau and boscoo.
8+HP AND 2 Stage!
Yeh, I know you can have it plowed; shoveled etc., but you were asking about the snowblower.
I have the snowblower, plus the "yard" plow truck for back up and the shovel for back up when the snowblower and plow crap out!

Old 10-19-2007, 08:22 AM

So 8HP sounds like the consensus. Hmm... Sears only doing a 7 and a 9. 7 has 4-way remote chute control, 9HP has 2-way and 2" more width. Hmmm... not a difficult decision for a Tool Time fan... hrrmm hrmm!

(BTW, I have to go with Sears because we bought a whole lot of $ of giftcards through a discount program from my old employer - 15% off!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire