Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 07:05 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,187,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjob View Post
How Funny! My wife wants me to move her and the kids to NH today and just commute the 3000 miles to work every day.

I am hoping to go on a solo tour of NH in May and meet with more locals and some in the real estate biz to show me around. I have been following the Winter and the change in posts over the last few months to se how everyone is doing out there. I can tell the winter will be a challeng for us used to the warm climates. I am more cautious that the wife however.

Keep going for it and hopefully you will be there soon. Definatly before me.

Captjob
Gee, Captjob - You mean you don't have your own private jet so you COULD commute 3000 miles each day?

Winter will be a challenge to you, but......We met a gal from either Mississippi or Louisiana who has been up here for 4 years. She loves it! She said it took her awhile to acclimate to the snow and cold, but once she got used to it, she'd never go back to the heat and humidity. Again, it's all in what you're looking for and really, you should rent for a year before you buy anything, just to make sure you REALLY like the weather and can get used to it....Just my 3 cents

And make sure you check out the rental well if you do decide to rent...make sure it has decent insulation (or landlord pays for heat)....and no ghosts unless they don't bother you <g>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 07:30 PM

264 posts, read 617,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Gee, Captjob - You mean you don't have your own private jet so you COULD commute 3000 miles each day?

Winter will be a challenge to you, but......We met a gal from either Mississippi or Louisiana who has been up here for 4 years. She loves it! She said it took her awhile to acclimate to the snow and cold, but once she got used to it, she'd never go back to the heat and humidity. Again, it's all in what you're looking for and really, you should rent for a year before you buy anything, just to make sure you REALLY like the weather and can get used to it....Just my 3 cents

And make sure you check out the rental well if you do decide to rent...make sure it has decent insulation (or landlord pays for heat)....and no ghosts unless they don't bother you <g>

I totally agree here. We do hate the heat and humidity and it is easy to forget what it is like here in August, 100+ degrees everyday when you are having a mild winter. (70s everyday this week)

She loves winter. The cold and grey skies put her in a great mood if you can believe that. I am ready for a change also. We shall see. As for that private jet.....it might be hard to land in a snow-storm so I guess I will have to pass.

Captjob

Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,966,588 times
Quote:
I totally agree here. We do hate the heat and humidity and it is easy to forget what it is like here in August, 100+ degrees everyday when you are having a mild winter. (70s everyday this week)

She loves winter. The cold and grey skies put her in a great mood if you can believe that. I am ready for a change also. We shall see. As for that private jet.....it might be hard to land in a snow-storm so I guess I will have to pass.

Captjob
I think your wife and I have that in common. I love the grey skies!! I too perk up and feel good when it is cloudy and cold. I am not looking forward to the HOT summer we are about to have. To me, there is nothing worse than being hot all the time, and having to be stuck indoors because along with the heat, the air is awful too. My daughtes asthma flairs up during the summer months. The air out here is so bad.

Haha, can you imagine flying back and fourth everyday

Dare, things are changing so much in my daily life. I am not sure when the right time will be for me to move out there. Things are kind of sucky on the home front. We will see what happends. Captjob, you just might get out there before me...we will see.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:46 AM

Quote:

Captjob
Captjob - I don't tolerate heat or humidity well, so this area is perfect for me, even if the winter is longer and colder. I had a LOT of trouble with sinus infections from spring thru fall before we moved here. I haven't had a sinus infection since we moved, which I love! For me, anyway, the cold and grey skies of winter just make me appreciate the days in the winter where the sun comes out and the skies are bright blue, not the hazy blue I was used to in NY

Depending on where you are in NH, you may still be able to get a heat and humdity "fix". Last summer we went to visit family in southern Maine - Driving from Littleto to there, we felt the difference right around the Laconia area - it got hotter and more humid. As we drove home that afternoon, again, right around the Laconia area, we noticed less humidty and it was cooler. The climate in NH is interesting, to say the least

P.S. Sorry about the jet access......

Old 03-07-2008, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Dare, things are changing so much in my daily life. I am not sure when the right time will be for me to move out there. Things are kind of sucky on the home front. We will see what happends. Captjob, you just might get out there before me...we will see.
Suzet - Sorry to hear about the home front and so much changing on a daily basis. I still think that if you're meant to be in NH, you will be...just maybe not as earlier as you want to be

I don't know if I've said this before, but after hubby got his job and we moved, things were going well, we found the house we wanted, closed on it, moved in, the next day hubby lost his job with no warning....talk about being freaked out! Fortunately he was only out of work for 1 day, found another job and started right away, and he's much happier where he is now - For whatever reason, I believe we are meant to be in this area....instead of things "conspiring against us" they seemed to "conspire for us"....and that's why I say, if it's meant to be, it will happen!

Old 03-07-2008, 04:23 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,966,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Suzet - Sorry to hear about the home front and so much changing on a daily basis. I still think that if you're meant to be in NH, you will be...just maybe not as earlier as you want to be

I don't know if I've said this before, but after hubby got his job and we moved, things were going well, we found the house we wanted, closed on it, moved in, the next day hubby lost his job with no warning....talk about being freaked out! Fortunately he was only out of work for 1 day, found another job and started right away, and he's much happier where he is now - For whatever reason, I believe we are meant to be in this area....instead of things "conspiring against us" they seemed to "conspire for us"....and that's why I say, if it's meant to be, it will happen!

Wow it sure sounds like things were working for you. Life is weird, it takes you down paths you never thought you would go, and after going through certain things, it seems like you come out on the positive side. Just while you are going through all the crap, it is hard to see that most of the time there is a pay off or atleast a lesson to be learned. That is why even with the panic disorder, I try to just smile and go along my way. The ying and the yang of life. For every bad there is a good that will come along. I think life has that balance that way.

I am really happy for you Dare that moving to NH has been the right thing for you guys.

Things will straighten themselves out in my home life at some point. The only sad part is, that after being together for over 25 years, I feel that I dont even know who my husband is anymore...but that is a whole other long story.......

Old 03-19-2008, 05:17 AM

5 posts, read 10,713 times
Dare
Sounds like moving was the right thing for you.I also worked for Big Blue (OP) before I left San Francisco in '77.
Suzet,
Hang in there,you gotta' do what you gotta do.We're all happily awaiting Spring here, it's been a very snowy Winter (snowing right now).Take a minute today- relax, visit flicr.com and check out my photos from around here, search photos from fauxtaux , also search Keene or just New Hampshire.There are tons of wonderful images there.A great place to feed your dreams.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:25 AM

5 posts, read 10,713 times
Default sorry about that

Suzet,
If you care ,it's flickr.com . I've tried to edit it twice, but it won't change.The link doesn't seem to work either.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Wow it sure sounds like things were working for you. Life is weird, it takes you down paths you never thought you would go, and after going through certain things, it seems like you come out on the positive side. Just while you are going through all the crap, it is hard to see that most of the time there is a pay off or atleast a lesson to be learned. That is why even with the panic disorder, I try to just smile and go along my way. The ying and the yang of life. For every bad there is a good that will come along. I think life has that balance that way.

I am really happy for you Dare that moving to NH has been the right thing for you guys.

Things will straighten themselves out in my home life at some point. The only sad part is, that after being together for over 25 years, I feel that I dont even know who my husband is anymore...but that is a whole other long story.......
Suzet - Yes, things did work out for us. As you know, I also have panic disorder and that was the one thing I was concerned about with our move - leaving my "safe zone" - until I realized that the "safe zone" is something you create for yourself and you just carry it with you <g>.

My ex was much like your husband, and frankly that's one of the reasons he is now my ex. Once I left him and started my "new life" a lot of the panic issues subsided and even disappeared. He and our marriage was a major stressor and trigger for me, for various reasons.

In any case - you'll get to NH when the time is right for you and at the time you are meant to be here. Things have a way of working themselves out so you end up in the right place when the time is right

Old 03-19-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekilo View Post
Dare
Sounds like moving was the right thing for you.I also worked for Big Blue (OP) before I left San Francisco in '77.
Hi Mikekilo - Yes, moving was the right thing for us. We have been very happy here in NH.....and hubby is very happy doing woodworking for a company that treats him well....unlike Big Blue these days That company changed so much.....I'm sure the founder is spinning in his grave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire