Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 03:05 PM

909 posts, read 3,368,496 times

Advertisements

coming to this thread really late. We are in So Cal also, and looking to move out east within a year. Dh is from NJ and I'm from Chicago, so we're not natives. We LOVED it out here when we were single, and before we had kids. But now we want to buy a house where the public schools are good, get away from some of this hellacious traffic, and just plain get away from some of the L.A culture. I have two little girls, and looking at the way tween girls dress I get depressed. You can't tell me that Hollywood isn't a big influence in that area.

It's a scary move, because my family is out here, and where we're going it's several hours from Dh's family. But we're doing it because we want a better quality of life for us and our kids. You do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 03:13 PM

909 posts, read 3,368,496 times
+60 degrees
New Yorkers start to turn on the heat.
People in New England plant gardens.

+50 degrees
Texans shiver uncontrollably.
People in New England sunbathe.

+40 degrees
Italian cars won't start.
People in New England drive with the windows down.

+30 degrees
Floridians wear coats, gloves, and woolly hats.
People in New England throw on a sweatshirt.

+20 degrees
New York landlords turn up the heat again.
People in New England have another cook-out before it gets cold.

+10 degrees
People in Miami cease to exist.
People in New England lick the flagpole.

0 degrees
Californians fly to Mexico.
People in New England get out their winter coats.

-20 degrees
Hollywood disintegrates.
The Girl Scouts in New England begin selling cookies door to door.

-30 degrees
Polar bears begin to evacuate Antarctica.
New England Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes
until it gets cold enough.

-40 degrees
Mt. St. Helen's freezes.
People in New England rent some videos.

-50 degrees
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Cows in New England complain of farmers with cold hands.

-75 degrees
All atomic motion stops.
People in New England say..."Cold 'nuff for ya?"

-100 degrees
Hell freezes over.
The Red Sox win the World Series[/quote]

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha!

I have to show Dh this! He'll love it!

We're thinking between New England and NC right now. But honestly I can handle extreme cold a lot better than extreme heat. I was told nobody goes out in the summer in NC. To me summer is for getting out of the house. Winter is when you hunker down, curl up and read a book.

When I first moved out to L.A I was cold all winter because NO ONE turns on their heat. It's warmer outside than indoors because of the sun. Nuts.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:06 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,965,449 times
Haha, Tara you just kill me. The comments you made are way too funny. I agree, heat Sucks!! I cant stand the fact that it gets so hot out here, even going to get the mail you practicly over heat. I never understood why everyone thinks So Cali is such an awesome place, and it is the only place you can have a great life. My hubby and I were driving around the town today, and almost got hit twice. Everyone is on their friggen cellphone or trying to get ahead or trying to rush the light, they dont care you are on the road with them. They are all that matters. There was one person that pulled out in front of us, we had to slam on the brakes, and there was NO ONE behind us. My 19 year old hates to drive out here, so she really doesnt. I am not kidding you, the traffic is just awful!!! And the people are just plain *ss mean. More and more I am getting to where I just dont like it here at all!!!. But back to the cold thing. I would much rather bundle up and stay warm, have a nice fire going, snuggling with the hubby, even taking a nice brisk walk, than be stuck indoors with the air on 24/7, and wearing hardly anything. Plus the heat puts everyone in a crouchy mood, worse than their normal mood. Then when you do venture out, ohhh, you get the hot heat and the smog. Wow what a treat. How could I ever think of giving that up?? Yeah, I am just about sick of people and their ridiculous opinions over this topic. If they could come up with a "reason" other than it is cold out there, I might listen, but I doubt it at this point. But thanks everyone who has left a message on this thread. I have really enjoyed reading what you all have to say on the subject. And it is nice to know that I am not the only one who is going through this. For those of you that are planning to move up to NH, good luck with everything. And for those of you that live there already, I really hope to meet some of you.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:33 PM

31 posts, read 104,239 times
Please don't talk about heat, today it was 90 degrees!!! Come on it is almost November and I still can't wear jeans! During the summer our mercury hits 120...I am sick of hot weather. I figure you can always add another layer of clothes, you can never peel off your skin.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:14 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,497,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Haha, Tara you just kill me. The comments you made are way too funny. I agree, heat Sucks!! I cant stand the fact that it gets so hot out here, even going to get the mail you practicly over heat. I never understood why everyone thinks So Cali is such an awesome place, and it is the only place you can have a great life. My hubby and I were driving around the town today, and almost got hit twice. Everyone is on their friggen cellphone or trying to get ahead or trying to rush the light, they dont care you are on the road with them. They are all that matters. There was one person that pulled out in front of us, we had to slam on the brakes, and there was NO ONE behind us. My 19 year old hates to drive out here, so she really doesnt. I am not kidding you, the traffic is just awful!!! And the people are just plain *ss mean. More and more I am getting to where I just dont like it here at all!!!. But back to the cold thing. I would much rather bundle up and stay warm, have a nice fire going, snuggling with the hubby, even taking a nice brisk walk, than be stuck indoors with the air on 24/7, and wearing hardly anything. Plus the heat puts everyone in a crouchy mood, worse than their normal mood. Then when you do venture out, ohhh, you get the hot heat and the smog. Wow what a treat. How could I ever think of giving that up?? Yeah, I am just about sick of people and their ridiculous opinions over this topic. If they could come up with a "reason" other than it is cold out there, I might listen, but I doubt it at this point. But thanks everyone who has left a message on this thread. I have really enjoyed reading what you all have to say on the subject. And it is nice to know that I am not the only one who is going through this. For those of you that are planning to move up to NH, good luck with everything. And for those of you that live there already, I really hope to meet some of you.
Hey speaking of coming to NE and the cold isn't your vacation time getting very close?

Old 11-01-2007, 05:09 PM

Hey Tara, that is the plan to come out this month. Unfortunatly my anxiety has flaired up so much that i am not even leaving my home. I dont know what i am going to do.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:49 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,497,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Hey Tara, that is the plan to come out this month. Unfortunatly my anxiety has flaired up so much that i am not even leaving my home. I dont know what i am going to do.
hey I replied to you on the health board.. its not really helpful in the aspect of how you can stop it per se but its more my experience and how I know what you're going through.. You just have to look at the goal ahead.. Cold weather( it'l help get rid of that anxiety from the heat) You're gonna be so excited and happy when you get on that train (if thats how you're going) that you're gonna forget about it.. Your family is gonna be there with you, and this is about your future! You're future happiness and you must tell yourself that you ARE NOT going to let some panic attack stop that... Easier said than done I know!! Keep me updated.. let me know how things go!

Old 11-01-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
hey I replied to you on the health board.. its not really helpful in the aspect of how you can stop it per se but its more my experience and how I know what you're going through.. You just have to look at the goal ahead.. Cold weather( it'l help get rid of that anxiety from the heat) You're gonna be so excited and happy when you get on that train (if thats how you're going) that you're gonna forget about it.. Your family is gonna be there with you, and this is about your future! You're future happiness and you must tell yourself that you ARE NOT going to let some panic attack stop that... Easier said than done I know!! Keep me updated.. let me know how things go!
I totally forgot I had that post over there...I responded to you on that thread Tara.

We might actually move out there at the end of the month early Dec. We found a place that does extended stays for up to 6 months. That will give us enough time to scout around and be there for the winter, and make sure this move is really for us. I have no doubt that it will be. We are really excited about it. This place we are going to stay at, is like an apt that does extended stays. So if we can work this out right, we wil be there soon. Tara I really enjoy talking with you, you are such a sweetie. I am glad you are feeling better too.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:04 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,580,420 times
Interesting thread and one I have experience with.
My half-brother told me I would regret moving to Texas and move back to Chicago within a year. Well, there were many times where I was just miserable in Houston and thought about it, but all the reasons I left Chicago would flood my head...and I would say to myself, "why get right back into the same situation with the same crazy relatives I had before?" So, since nothing had changed, I stayed.
You are going to have many naysayers to every move--mainly from people who don't have a pair themselves and consider any move scary.
My biggest naysayer was my half-brother who inherited everything from my grandparents (money, cars, house, furniture). He has never even lived in another house! Granted, it is a great house and no reason to move, really, but still...
The point is: why take advice from people who lack confidence themselves, never grew a pair and wouldn't have the guts to move themselves? Of course, to them you are crazy...they are wimps.
You have to look into the lives of those who tell you that you are crazy to try and better your lifestyle. Usually, you will find reasons why they themselves can't move...and they are jealous on some level. Just be aware is all.
As for me, the only reason--even tho it has not happened yet and I feel I made a huge mistake financially--I never moved to L.A. was the earthquakes. I visited and was in a tiny one...scared me to death.
My girlfriend shook so badly during her first few years in L.A., when an earthquake rumble came her office would have to send her home! You are not alone in your fear, I think.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,885,779 times
Suzette - Courage is doing what you fear. It is a lot easier to be courageous than panicked. Just realize you are a human being and humans have adapted to scary situations for a very, very long time. We all know how to do it but sometimes we don't believe that we can.

I think you are going about the move in the correct manner by renting for a few months. Come on over and sit a spell, we are pretty good people.

For what it is worth, compared to CA the weather is going to feel like living in a Margarita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire