Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 PM

557 posts, read 1,353,623 times

Advertisements

Recently spoke with one of the well seasoned NWS meteorologists, in-house working and have been forecasting this storm. The last I heard was their snowfall forecast mostly verified, but "for the wrong reasons". That is a snowfall forecast from within 24 hours. That is not a good thing in the science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Looks like another small one on the way for Wednesday, up to 6" in some areas.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:04 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,726,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Looks like another small one on the way for Wednesday, up to 6" in some areas.
Heavy & wet like last time but strong winds to create lots of power outages
and downed lines. The first 2/3rds. of winter is not bad, but I hate snows
@ the 30 degree marks. I think of the Allstate ad with the "Havoc Man"
laying on the roof and caving it in. Ain't roof raking a kick in the arse ?
Tell you what, lets have all the skiers and snowmobilers stay home the day
after each storm and shovel and roof rake the homes for us working stiffs.
Then they can tell us how much they love NH winters.............

Old 02-26-2013, 01:28 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
you act as if skiers and snowmobilers don't have jobs.

Be thankful for the revenue they generate to this state. Snowmobiling alone brings an annual average of $586 million into New Hampshire.

Resorts, hotels, retail and dining are doing very well.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
you act as if skiers and snowmobilers don't have jobs.

Be thankful for the revenue they generate to this state. Snowmobiling alone brings an annual average of $586 million into New Hampshire.

Resorts, hotels, retail and dining are doing very well.
I'll take the revenue, just dispense with the rhetoric.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:28 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,558 times
Three inches of snow here and coming down hard. I'll be plowing soon and I expect my phone to blow up with calls for roof clearing. Sometimes I think it would be nice to throw a log in the fire place and just watch it come down instead.

Here's a few pics from the day after the last snow storm. My 10 yo daughter and I hiked to the summit of our mountain (aka Mt Kearsarge). The first few miles from the toll booth had a few inches of fresh stuff over a packed snowmobile trail which made it easier to hike and we did not need snowshoes. The last half mile from the upper parking lot (where we stopped for lunch) to the summit was knee deep and we needed snowshoes to climb to the summit. By the time we came down off the summit a number of snowmobilers had packed the trail down hard. We sat on top of our gear on the sled I packed in and coming down was MUCH faster than hiking up! What a blast.
Attached Thumbnails
Another storm this weekend-0225131204a95308162.jpg   Another storm this weekend-0225131118a9574348.jpg   Another storm this weekend-0225131139a95309348.jpg  

Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
Three inches of snow here and coming down hard. I'll be plowing soon and I expect my phone to blow up with calls for roof clearing. Sometimes I think it would be nice to throw a log in the fire place and just watch it come down instead.

Here's a few pics from the day after the last snow storm. My 10 yo daughter and I hiked to the summit of our mountain (aka Mt Kearsarge). The first few miles from the toll booth had a few inches of fresh stuff over a packed snowmobile trail which made it easier to hike and we did not need snowshoes. The last half mile from the upper parking lot (where we stopped for lunch) to the summit was knee deep and we needed snowshoes to climb to the summit. By the time we came down off the summit a number of snowmobilers had packed the trail down hard. We sat on top of our gear on the sled I packed in and coming down was MUCH faster than hiking up! What a blast.
Do you ever winter hike in the Kanc? Kids welcome too

My wife and I have been out almost the past 6 weekends in a row. Last time we did little Mt Willard. In Crawfords. We had about the same weather you did on Mt Kearsarge.

I just had it hit me that there IS 2 Mt Kearsarge's in NH...... I have done yours, long ago....

Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post

Methinks that roof shoveling is overly promoted, sometimes. I do mine @ 3 feet and
have never had a problem. They are always saying one foot, but I have a 2001 manufactured
home that has the honeycomb roofing as opposed to standard rafters on stick built houses.
I welcome other opinions and feedback.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:54 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Methinks that roof shoveling is overly promoted, sometimes. I do mine @ 3 feet and
have never had a problem. They are always saying one foot, but I have a 2001 manufactured
home that has the honeycomb roofing as opposed to standard rafters on stick built houses.
I typically do my roof edges when we get over 10" of snow stuck to the roof, I only rake the the roof when it has 2'+ on it with a forecast for more snow or rain.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
It kinda depends on the building.... And then the snow and weather after the snow. There is around 36 kinds of snow. Heavy wet snow and rain after with a foot on a weaker roof will crush buildings easy.

In Carrol County back in I think 07 a lot of places caved in and trailer homes tipped over. Most of the places were bulldozed up and are long gone, but a few places are still standing with no roof.

Lots of things simply depend on how things are where ever one is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire