Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 PM

4 posts, read 6,717 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to New England (NH or ME). We currently live in SE Michigan and find the crime, boring scenery, and general overpopulation to be a but much to make plans to stay here the rest of our lives. We are both in our early thirties and college educated. My wife is small business owner and a real estate agent and I work in advertising. We love nature, prefer to be well away from our neighbors (I'm a bit of a curmudgeon), have no interest in "night life," and don't shrink from the cold (both of us are originally from the U.P.). My family took trips to New England often when I was younger and I fell in love with the rugged coasts and wild forests of the region. I would love to call it my home. It seems like New Hampshire would be a good fit for us but I would love to hear what you guys think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 06:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Sounds like it fits..... Rural folks may not speak to you for the first year. they won't care if you make it here or not. If you pass the year mark then we get the idea you won't leave so we may as well chat it up on town meetin' day and that sort of thing.

Since the mid 80's, we had more than our fair share of high fallutin city slicks who think they are big shots and or whiners who think Live Free means Live for free...

You don't come here from away to change the rules we live by, and you don't seem to be that type.....

More and more I speak less truth since we have been over run....

Old 03-05-2013, 02:56 AM

3 posts, read 5,642 times
Seeing that you are a "Yooper", it is likely that you will prefer Maine. The Portland area and south is called northern Massachusetts by Mainers and resembles southern New Hampshire also. I lived for a time in the UP and find that central and northern Maine have many similarities. The Lakes Region in NH and the area north of Concord are beautiful.

The key in either state is to avoid places like Manchester, Nashua, Concord, Portland and LA (Lewiston/Auburn). Should you weaken in your curmudgeonly ways.....simply drive south to Massachusetts....you will be instantly cured

Massachusetts has world-class heath care and universities. Everything else is....well...very much the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire