Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 06:37 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times

Advertisements

ivoryours - We had one of those indoor computerized golf courses back in NY - My dad was an avid golfer and if he could get out on the course, he resorted to the (what he called) "wimp" version of golf

I've noticed the growth in Littleton since we've moved here - hopefully the town will continue to keep it's "Main Street charm" and if any big chains come in, keep them on the outskirts like they have been.

The town we moved from in NY had its own "character" for many years. After 9/11 we had a huge influx of people from NYC who wanted to live in our area and commute by train (Amtrak had a station very close by). The buildings that housed a lot of the local stores were sold, knocked down and more high-end type stores were built on the main street, property was sold to developers and those who wanted the McMansions to live in and the rest was history. Those who worked locally and lived in the area for years couldn't afford to shop there...those who did the commute could afford to. It was one of the reasons we left the area. A lot of places in the county started to experience higher drug-related crimes and gangs coming in, as well.....sigh......

With the growth, I hope Littleton keeps what makes it "special" at least in our eyes <g>.....

If you ever want to get together for coffee or whatever, DM me! We live very close to the high school and middle school...I work from home but can "flex" my time for a coffee break or lunch break <g>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 08:22 PM

12 posts, read 31,834 times
windchimes03561,

I hope Littleton keeps it charm to. It reminds me of the place I was born, but that to changed and not for the better. My last trip back home I could not believe the changes, the first time I have ever seen a McDonalds close down. And as I went to turn my car around a young man standing on the corner was asking me what I needed.
I just hope Littleton never gets even close to that.

A coffee break sounds good, a break is not something I get very offen.

Keep in touch.

Janice/ivoryours

Old 11-15-2007, 06:04 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times
Yearly award by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, for best main street. Littleton won 2003.

2003 GAMSA Winner - Littleton, NH (http://awards.mainstreet.org/content.aspx?page=5142&section=22 - broken link)

Old 11-16-2007, 04:43 AM

At some point in the near future, as far as I can figure, Main Street is going to be getting a "face lift" - they will be repaving the road, sidewalks, installing new lighting, and doing something with the sewer system as well...at least the last I heard. They are also, I believe, starting an "Economic Task Force 2007" (or at least are talking about it). I've noticed some ads looking for real estate agents for one agency and another just hired 2 new ones......I'm not quite sure if the town is anticipating a growth spurt or if some agents have left, but it should be interesting to see what develops (no pun intended). There will be a new police station next to the fire house and they will be starting renovations on the old Opera House as well.

We're supposed to get our first snow today, 3-6" ... hubby and I were trying to remember when we got the first one last year and neither of us can remember! I know last year we didn't have a white Christmas, but for the life of me can't remember if we had snow on the ground for Thanksgiving...we must be getting old

There's a parade in town on the 23rd - Littleton loves it's parades!

Old 11-16-2007, 05:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I have shopped (!) at Joe Lahout's ski and clothing store for 40 years. Great people, good stuff and friendly service. Therre is a small bakery and restraunt on the side sterrt next to the ricver that has some really good stuff. My in laws have a house over the other side of Suga Hill in Landaff. Thier license plate says - Great Scenerey - Huge bugs.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:33 AM

Greg - Would that be Miller's Cafe and Bakery? If so, we've been there and the food was very good! Lahout's - Yep! Good stuff and good people! The only HUGE "bugs" we've noticed up here that are different from where we were in NY are the spiders! The spiders up here are butt-ugly and way too big!

Landaff is right next to Lisbon, isn't it?

Old 11-16-2007, 06:56 AM

452 posts, read 1,733,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin&Mark View Post
Can anyone tell me anything about Littleton?...... Do they get a lot of snow there?..... How are the roads in the winter? Any information anyone can give would be helpful. Thank you.
Littleton is expecting upwards of 8 inches of snow today.......

Old 11-16-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthibodeau View Post
Littleton is expecting upwards of 8 inches of snow today.......
Our local radio station is saying 3-6 inches for Littleton - right now it's very light snow, only sticking to the grassy areas - driveway and road are wet...it is windy though! It's been showing since about 7 a.m.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:13 PM

26,410 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windchimes03561 View Post
Our local radio station is saying 3-6 inches for Littleton - right now it's very light snow, only sticking to the grassy areas - driveway and road are wet...it is windy though! It's been showing since about 7 a.m.
How much snow have you received today?
I checked the observations and Whitefield and Belin have temperatures below freezing.
The windchill on top of Mount Washington is below -20F!

Old 11-16-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
How much snow have you received today?
I checked the observations and Whitefield and Belin have temperatures below freezing.
The windchill on top of Mount Washington is below -20F!

We got maybe 1 inch? At least right here at our house - I haven't been out except with the dog <g>.....Hubby works in Jefferson and said they had maybe 3-4 inches where he was when he left at noon. Right now it's 28 here and the wind is howling...according to the weather channel desk top the windchill is 19.

I think Coos County got more than we did (we're in Grafton County) and I'm sure the mountains got quite a bit.

Mt. Washington had a gust of 91 mph earlier today <g>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire