Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:25 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times

Advertisements

how so? I should have said on average and on a $200K house on one acre...the taxes are around $4k up north, while triple that the further south and closer to MA.

Additionally, I'm comparing a property of 45 acres with a house in NY - property taxes $4K. A home in NH with 45 acres is going to be taxed a lot more, UNLESS it has an easement.

OTOH - a $200K house up north would go for $400K further south explaining why the taxes are so much higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 10:35 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
how so? I should have said on average and on a $200K house on one acre...the taxes are around $4k up north, while triple that the further south and closer to MA.

Additionally, I'm comparing a property of 45 acres with a house in NY - property taxes $4K. A home in NH with 45 acres is going to be taxed a lot more, UNLESS it has an easement.

OTOH - a $200K house up north would go for $400K further south explaining why the taxes are so much higher.
Well i think your starting to understand how in-accurate your first post was to someone reading that from the outside looking in...

According to the math from your first post, the taxes on my property (3.5 acres would be 14k$ a year) which is way off. its about half that in Southern NH..

Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 AM

you must not be in the golden triangle. Taxes on my former home in Derry - per acre $11K.

NH is one of 37 states to charge property taxes at both the state and local level. NH property taxes rank amongst the highest in the nation.

There aren't many other taxes, so the state has to get their money somewhere. Property owners and business owners take the hit. Companies pay an 8.5 percent tax on profits, plus a 0.75 percent enterprise tax on employers, based on total compensation paid to workers.

It's easy to figure the average in your town. Take the total tax bill, divide it by the number of residents paying property taxes and you get the number.

Including fees, each Massachusetts resident pays an average of $7,290 to state and local governments, the 10th highest in the nation. New Hampshire ranks 37th among states, with each resident paying an average of $5,436, according to the Federation of Tax Administrators, an association of state tax authorities. (2010).

Last edited by buck naked; 03-21-2013 at 10:52 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 10:48 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,346 times
Quote:
you must not be in the golden triangle. Taxes on my former home in Derry - per acre $11K.
Im in Bow which isnt cheap.

Regardless, for the OP's sake, Property taxes in NH are not directly related to lot size (unless were strictly talking about a building lot), their related to a percentage of the property’s value (house and land)

Old 03-21-2013, 10:54 AM

Bow gets a lot of income from PSNH's coal fired plant. If that wasn't paying the bills, your taxes would be much higher. Without that extra $3 million coming in annually, your taxes would at least double.

Agreed - property taxes include the property value and the VIEW.

New Hampshire has no written guidelines for comparing views. Instead, Avitar Associates of New England, a private company contracted to provide property valuations for many local governments throughout the state, has relied on intuition and a "View Manual” to compare different properties.

Example: David Bischoff, chairman of the Board of Selectman in Orford.
Bischoff owns a one-room cabin with no electricity, no running water, no phone service, and no driveway. In his case, the "view factor” led to a property valuation of over $200,000 by state property assessors in 2005. He was billed $4,000 a year for property taxes on a cabin that cost only $9,000 to build.

Instead, he tore it down. Still owes the taxes.

Last edited by buck naked; 03-21-2013 at 12:13 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 06:27 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationNewEngland View Post
Yes. upstate NY indeed blows chunks. We were thinking of moving to Concord, NH or around (not in) the areas of manchester, lawrence, and nashua. I've read that cost of living is low. I was hoping living on the outskirts would give us the benefit of low cost living while avoiding the city life. any thoughts on this?
Hey! Upstate NY is not that bad, if you go rural.... (the relatives taught me how to milk a cow there). Land/housing etc is dirt cheap... (well, the taxes are bad, but not if you keep the place as a farm), but we picked up a farm for less than $1K/acre (that was the expensive stuff).... Where can you live in New England on a square mile, for less than a zillion dollars? Manchester, Lawrence, Nashua.... geez, aim low.... Ugh. But that is a topic for another thread.

Just my opinion.

Let's see: (again, just opinions, though based on facts)... ME is one of the top welfare states in the country; the only thing VT has going for it is no requirement for gun carry/purchases, but they do have Ben & Jerry's, though I would wager they will tank soon; MA... well, I couldn't run fast enough from it when I was in my 20's (though the universities there are an A+, for the most part).... so I guess that leaves only NH....
(Want to rent a house a nice house in NH? ;-)

On a separate topic, a Baht is about 30 per dollar, if you want to live cheap....

Old 03-24-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:

NH is one of 37 states to charge property taxes at both the state and local level. NH property taxes rank amongst the highest in the nation.

There aren't many other taxes, so the state has to get their money somewhere. Property owners and business owners take the hit. Companies pay an 8.5 percent tax on profits, plus a 0.75 percent enterprise tax on employers, based on total compensation paid to workers.

It's easy to figure the average in your town. Take the total tax bill, divide it by the number of residents paying property taxes and you get the number.

Including fees, each Massachusetts resident pays an average of $7,290 to state and local governments, the 10th highest in the nation. New Hampshire ranks 37th among states, with each resident paying an average of $5,436, according to the Federation of Tax Administrators, an association of state tax authorities. (2010).
You got a bargain.... on a neighboring town with 3 acres, I was pounded with property tax of $2K/month.
You can thank the town of Claremont NH for instigating the 'donor town', and 'recipient town' taxation (i.e. state level), because they were too cheap to fund their own schools. I pay property tax on my rentals to fund that town. But it could be worse; in MA illegal aliens get tons of benefits.
I rejoice that I spend most of my time in a country where there is essentially no such thing as taxation.

In terms of taxation between MA and NH, the tax amount, based on the square footage of the house, is essentially the same. (I have a place in MA and one in NH). The tax rate in NH is higher, but the houses are valued less, so it averages out.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:18 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
the only thing VT has going for it is no requirement for gun carry/purchases, but they do have Ben & Jerry's, though I would wager they will tank soon;
Correction: VT does not have Ben & Jerry's, not since about ten years. Ben & Jerry's got bought out by Unilever. So not much danger of tanking soon, but the brand no longer has anything to do with VT or even the US. You want quality local ice cream, get the stuff from Walpole Creamery. It's more expensive but worth it.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Correction: VT does not have Ben & Jerry's, not since about ten years. Ben & Jerry's got bought out by Unilever. So not much danger of tanking soon, but the brand no longer has anything to do with VT or even the US. You want quality local ice cream, get the stuff from Walpole Creamery. It's more expensive but worth it.

Well, B&J's is headquartered in Burlington VT, and their main factory is in Waterbury. Sort of like saying that Chrysler is owned by Fiat and the UAW (which is true), but they are still made in Detroit. Tell all the employees at B&J's in VT that they no longer have anything to do with VT or the US...

I quit eating B&J's years ago.... Haagen Dazs smokes them hands-down, so there is now only a few reasons to live in VT: One is to have a 1970's Volvo 240 sitting in your front yard, with the hood open and plants growing out of it. Two, is to use your front porch as an extension of your closet space, and three, virtually no gun laws. That about sums it up. Geez, even Killington wants to secede from VT. Don't blame them. Even VT wants to secede from the union. I say let them go, and defend themselves.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:45 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Hey! Upstate NY is not that bad, if you go rural.... (the relatives taught me how to milk a cow there). Land/housing etc is dirt cheap... (well, the taxes are bad, but not if you keep the place as a farm), but we picked up a farm for less than $1K/acre (that was the expensive stuff).... Where can you live in New England on a square mile, for less than a zillion dollars? Manchester, Lawrence, Nashua.... geez, aim low.... Ugh. But that is a topic for another thread.

Just my opinion.

Let's see: (again, just opinions, though based on facts)... ME is one of the top welfare states in the country; the only thing VT has going for it is no requirement for gun carry/purchases, but they do have Ben & Jerry's, though I would wager they will tank soon; MA... well, I couldn't run fast enough from it when I was in my 20's (though the universities there are an A+, for the most part).... so I guess that leaves only NH....
(Want to rent a house a nice house in NH? ;-)

On a separate topic, a Baht is about 30 per dollar, if you want to live cheap....
Northern Maine is way cheaper than upstate NY. Maine is a big welfare state, but the taxes are lower than most of the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire