Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 06:20 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times

Advertisements

NH Drivers License.

I had a glasses restriction (distance) on my drivers license for a couple of decades.

I was at the NH DMV with a friend who had some paperwork done there.

While waiting I went over to the eye test machine and started reading the lines. No one was waiting in line.
I asked lady behind counter what line is supposed to be read for drivers license test. I read that line.

I read every letter correctly. So I asked the lady how much it would cost to have restriction removed. Nothing. No charge. New/replacement drivers license with restriction taken off.

I was asked if I wanted a new picture or use the old picture on file at DMV. Yes, they keep your picture on file.

Restriction removed. New drivers license.

*** On another note.

If you require glasses and you cannot afford the doctor/optometrist or the glasses - your local Lions Club will pay the entire amount. No charge to you.
You are required to ask the local Lions Club before taking any actions. Not after.
A letter sent to the local Lions Club is your best bet.
Yes, your local Lions Club pays for all if you cannot afford to pay yourself. That is one of the purposes of the Lions Club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 09:30 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,454 times
Oh, it's not that I can't afford it, but we're buying a new truck next week and not financing it, so I want to minimize any further damage to the bank account this month.

Actually, they only keep your picture on file at the DMV if you don't check the box requesting that they remove it from their records. That's why I have to drive there and renew in person.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
I use sunglasses that fit over my regular glasses. I get them online at Polarizedoptics.com. They are big and ugly but work very well. I also use light yellow over the glasses anti glare glasses for night driving. They practically eliminate the glare from the Star Wars blueish arc lights in oncomming traffic.

I suggest you also get your eyes examined for cataracts.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:56 PM

497 posts, read 952,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
I've never had prescription glasses and wondered if anyone can answer some questions I have:

1) Did you need an opthamologist or is an optometrist adequate? optometrist will do

2) Does the DMV require any paperwork from the Dr.? not unless it's ordered by DR.

3) If you went to an optometrist, did they dilate your eyes? (and could you drive after?) Only if you so choose that optional test

4) How long did it take to get your glasses? a week

5) Are contacts allowed for driving, instead of glasses? Sure

I need to renew my driver's license and I doubt I'll pass the eye exam (barely passed it 4 years ago). Since I'm leaving for the summer in a few weeks, I'd like to avoid failing the test and having to go back again. I don't have eye coverage (will pay cash) and worry about the dilation because I'll have to drive myself home afterward. I have some drugstore reading glasses, but I'm not positive they'd help me pass the eye test or if they're even allowed. I assume it needs to be "prescription lenses."

Also, if you can recommend a place to go in the Concord or Laconia area, I'd appreciate it.

TIA.

Lived in Jersey my entire life before NH

Been in need of distance glasses and reading glasses since 11. Progressively worse since.

At 17, when I got my license, the examiner placed a "1" restriction on my license that says 'corrective lenses'

Means nothing unless you had LE that really wanted to enforce something.

I cant see beyond 50 yards [to read signs crisply] without. 75 and things blur.

I wear drug store cheaters for reading, work fine. +2.00

Look to see if there's a lenscrafter or similar close, as they often offer BOGO 1/2 off...I have clear for night/rain/snow, and sunglasses for bright/haze. two for one price

The transitions lenses will NOT darken inside a vehicle due to the UV glass......ask me how I know.....

The biggest problem you'll have is remembering where you left them when they are not on your face

Old 04-05-2013, 03:20 PM

I have that problem with my sunglasses already. They're usually on the top of my head.

Good info to know, thanks guys.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:28 PM

There's a LensCrafters in the Steeplegate Mall in Concord. 30% off frames and lenses or 40% off prescription sunglasses right now. Appointments with the doc take about a week and they can make the glasses in an hour.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
I have been extremely nearsighted since I was a kid. I got my first pair of glasses when i was in first grade. About 60 years later I developed cataracts in the lenses and I has surgery to remove and replace them. The Doctor did such a good job I would have near perfect vision except for the defective corneas. Although LASIC surgery could fix that we decided not to bother as I was so used to wearing glass why bother changing. So I now wear bifocals and some reading lenses for using a computer monitor.

I have always had a note that glasses were required on my driver's license. Until the operation I probably couldn't have found the car without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire