Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 01:25 PM

7 posts, read 9,191 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Portsmouth, NH. While my wife's job is not a problem, I am concerned about mine. I am a wood flooring contractor, I own my company. Recession hit California very hard and last years were not easy at all for people working in the house market like myself.

I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of how businesses like mine are doing in New Hampshire. I would very much appreciate any suggestion.

Thank you!
Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 01:36 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
well, just in general terms, there are alot (and I mean alot) less people in NH, therefore alot less homes.
I live in SoCal and have visited NH many times and it is very apparent when you get there, that the population is so much less. Some places feel down right deserted compared to the dense population and housing everywhere in SoCal. I like not having so many people around but in your business I would think that it would be something to consider. Maybe go to work for someone else for awhile unless you get established?

Old 05-15-2013, 01:48 PM

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, Loveautumn.

My thoughts were that, yes, there are less people, but very many houses have hardwood floors. In California, generally speaking, many people still think wall to wall carpet is the best flooring there is --and it's not, believe me.

Where I live, I drive a lot to go to job sites that are 80/100 miles away from home. And I travel there for 4/5 days every day until the job is done.
I was thinking maybe living in Portsmouth, Boston is not far away, or Maine. Also, what makes a difference is people's wealthiness in this matter. The place where I live is bigger than Portsmouth, but there is a very high percentage of unemployment. Hardwood flooring is expensive and not everyone can afford it.

That is why I am trying to collect as much information as I can from people living in NH, so I can have a better idea of what I could find.

Again, thank you!
Paul

Old 05-15-2013, 03:27 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCi View Post
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Portsmouth, NH. While my wife's job is not a problem, I am concerned about mine. I am a wood flooring contractor, I own my company. Recession hit California very hard and last years were not easy at all for people working in the house market like myself.

I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of how businesses like mine are doing in New Hampshire. I would very much appreciate any suggestion.

Thank you!
Paul
NH is filled with self employed contractors. You might want to diversify some and offer skills other than just wood flooring or else you might have a hard time making a go of it.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:35 PM

489 posts, read 964,302 times
I know two people who are flooring contractors in the area we live, which is roughly a couple hours west of Portsmouth. Both of them have more work than they can handle now that the weather has improved.

There are many wealthy people in the area we live that have large homes with mostly hardwood floors.

-Mike

Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
Just... have you also considered the very huge change in climate you'll face coming from CA to NH? It's a little easier around Portsmouth, but it's still very different from what you're used to. Just sayin'.....

Old 05-15-2013, 10:46 PM

Thank you, GotBackHome, my wife and I actually can't wait to move somewhere where summers are not endless and the sun relentless 10 months out of 12! You know, also nice weather can be a little... too much. My wife in particular loves the cold weather.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:13 AM

Thank you Mike, as fa as you know do your friends need to work at other jobs too or the wood flooring job supports them all year round?

Thank you,
Paul

Old 05-16-2013, 11:28 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
If you know some about carpentry you could expand to such.
Decks, replacement windows, doors and such.

Population of Portsmouth is only around 20,000. Surrounding towns are smaller.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:41 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
I disagree about the population of surrounding towns. Dover NH is just under 30,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire