Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 34,639 times

Advertisements

Thank you all who responded!

I emailed NH DMV, and that's what they wrote back: [SIZE=2]The State does not regulate the inspection fees. So yes, a garage may charge you a second time if the car needs to be re inspected.[/SIZE]

To answer all you questions... The place is called Granite State Dyno and Tune LLC (am I allowed to post it's name here?), in Hudson. I just googled them and found another shop with the same name in Kingston, NH, so it's not exactly a big chain store. Don't get me wrong, I don't know these guys well enough to judge them. From what I've seen they mostly work with the performance cars (the place is VERY noisy! :-) It's always busy and it looks like a successful business to me. Yes, they only charge $25 for inspection, and after they inspected our both cars last year and we had no issues with them, this year I didn't think twice before going back to them again. And I should've... See, the cars are not that old, so when you have a newer car, you don't think having ONE mechanic for all your needs is necessary. But as they get older, it's a whole different story. I honestly didn't think there would be any problems with one of them passing the test (the problem was lower ball joint on driver's side).

What I didn't like they didn't tell me before the inspection they charge again for re-test. When I complained about it, the guy showed me dry erase board on the wall with all sorts of notes, "State inspection, pass or fail" among them. I figured you have to be proficient at I Spy game to spot it right away.

So this is the first time I had a real need to stick with a good mechanic; I went to a guy a friend has known for a while, he gave me an estimate, and then called his supplier and called me again to let me choose from three different part options. Even with more expensive parts he charged me $60 less for everything than the first garage. I also found out his small garage is a licensed state inspection; they charge a little more, $35, but I still decided to pay him to reinspect the car rather then going back to the first shop.

Oh, and when the first shop gave me their estimate, they said the car will need alignment after lower ball joint replacement; they said they don't do it, but suggested I go to the place down the road and they will do it for me for $100. After that I called a couple of places and figured out this is way too much for this job.

Thanks again, I've gotten a ton of useful information from you all. I very much appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 11:56 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
If you figure what the parts cost and then the time for the labor 100 bucks might not be too much. Unless you can do the job, you may not know the level of difficulty involved.

Finding a tech you trust can be a problem, but when you do stick to him.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:55 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,582 times
Around here the going rate is $45-$50 and they usually don't charge you for a re-test. Sounds like the guys who charge $25 cater to a crowd whose autos are unlikely to fail the inspection.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:15 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
These fees are out of hand, but are caused by the state leasing computers to shops and billing them 50 bucks a month. The dam things take up working space, and get dirty and don't work right. Nannied to death.

The OBDII system collects assorted other data as well. Don't have been speeding in the last 30 minutes or the state DMV will know. There is no good reason for the st of NH to spy on it's people but never the less they do.

While most other states are giving up st inspections NH is driving in a new nail.

Can anyone answer why the DMV needs to carry side arms? These side arms are tax paid for too.

Then in addition we have a like but 180 degrees out from St Police Safety unit. Where a St pd car is green these are gold, On a st PD uniform where that is green these are gold.

We got more and kinds of LEO than we almost have people. With so many on the TAX dole it's hard on those working for PROFIT. The NH LEO's need to have a bake sale. Or maybe go to work for profit.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
Per the request from ValC.

LBP Towing and Repair
Auburn Road, Londonderry, NH
Mike Fortier, 306-434-5757

The shop is located near I-93 exit 5. It is about 1/4 mile east on Rt 28 and then north on Auburn Road behind the Poor Boys Resturant. They inspect all manner of cars and trucks and have the capacity to inspect and repair large motor homes and box trucks.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:59 AM

686 posts, read 1,767,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcuriouscat View Post
What I didn't like they didn't tell me before the inspection they charge again for re-test. When I complained about it, the guy showed me dry erase board on the wall with all sorts of notes, "State inspection, pass or fail" among them. I figured you have to be proficient at I Spy game to spot it right away.
Thanks to your sharing, I now know I should ask about re-test beforehand.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,741 times
In Pennsylvania-If my car fails inspection at one garage can I take it to another one to be inspected? Does the failed inspection get recorded with the state?

Old 03-31-2017, 05:48 AM

421 posts, read 544,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne74 View Post
In Pennsylvania-If my car fails inspection at one garage can I take it to another one to be inspected? Does the failed inspection get recorded with the state?
Might be better off asking in the PA forum.

I've lived in NH and ME, and in both states I would get some sort of written notice indicating fail. I don't recall if it was noted on the vehicle or not, or with the state--these days I would think so. Plus, since they don't give you a valid sticker, the windshield of your car still shows the outdated inspection sticker--meaning, if a cop notices an out of date sticker, you'll get pulled over. You can then show them the fail paperwork, but depending upon the laws, that might not get you out of any tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire