Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:17 AM
RVC RVC started this thread

8 posts, read 14,240 times

Advertisements

So, I am thinking to move out of New York and into a "Live Free or Die State". I want to grow my own vegetables and fruit shrubs without neighbors complaining to any town boards (that will mow them down) And I want to put solar panels on my home without consequences.
I'm also thinking (just dreaming) of having a goat or two.
No, I am not going to have cows or a windmill. I want a town, preferably not too far from a hospital and library. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 08:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Is the garden for the house or commercial farm stand or Farmer's Market? How big would the garden be? How many people would be tending it?

Is the solar for heat or electricity or both? How much sunlight do you expect? How much do you need?

How much are you willing to spend for land? How many people and how big a house?

How much for power? How much for heat? for property taxes? Do you have another income?

Where do you currently live? How much can you sell it for? What are your current taxes?

Old 06-25-2013, 08:43 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
I've never heard of anyone complaining about gardening or fruit trees. Mack's Apples in Londonderry used to spray poison by air...and that got a flak from neighbors, especially the horse farm where animals suddenly died.

Solar power - good luck. I wish you the best. IMO, everyone should have it. Just about any town near any hospital should work for you.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:20 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
I've never heard of anyone complaining about gardening or fruit trees.
Got time for a story?

Every summer we rent a vacation house for a week. A different place each time- Cape Cod, Lake Champlain, etc. Also been vacationing in NH all my life.

Last summer we (family of four with two little kids) rented a place in the Catskills of NY. The town we were staying in had an awesome (considering the size of the tiny town) public pool. Upon entering the life guard told us to read the rather long list of pool rules posted at the entrance. I gave it a glance, yeah...yeah...no food...no this..no that..xyz is pohibited...whatever... I've seen pool rules before. We settle in on the grass and my kid pops out a small container of Goldfish crackers. The life guard immediately came over and gave us a stern warning. Ok, so they take the rules seriously I guess. We go in the pool. I want to get out. There's a handicap ramp with a clear sign saying for disabled use only next to me and a regular ladder waaaay over on the other side. Knowing they take the rules seriously, and I'm not disabled, I decide not take the ramp and just pull myself out from the side of the pool. I got a whistle and another stern warning from the lifeguard. You can only use a ladder or the ramp to get out of the pool. Wow. Ok. My daughter wants to take a leap off the diving board. She stands timidly at the end of the board while I make my way to her landing site to assist when she hits the water. I get a whistle from a different lifeguard. "Has she taken the test"? he asks. Test? "She has to swim across the pool unassisted before using the diving board". The rules are the rules so I tell my kid she has to swim across this huge pool before she can jump. She has no interest in long distance swimming on this day. She just wants to jump in. She gave the test a try but failed.

The next day we go to a state park with a pond and hiking trails. Just about every vertical surface has a sign prohibiting this or prohibiting that. Kinda ugly really. A coworker visited this same beach and told a story of almost being kicked out for tossing a football. The regular lifeguard took a break but warned them there is another lifeguard across the pond with a scope. If the football comes out, they're out.

This strict rules thing was pretty pervasive and really dampened my impression of NY, especially upstate. I've never come across such a feeling on vacation in my life.

So, could I imagine rules against growing fruit and veggies in NY? Yes. Could I imagine the town mowing them down? Yes.

BTW: We're renting in N.Conway this year! Keepin' it local.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 AM

611 posts, read 1,205,028 times
Wow, Avlis! We have to go to Long Island more often than I would like and I knew there were a lot of silly rules there. I didn't realize they stretched all the way across the state. Glad we moved to NH rather than upstate NY.
RVC, pretty much every little town in NH has a library so your best bet is to plot out a map of hospitals and move out from there. I've seen a lot of opinions that solar won't work in NH, but I have passed an impressive number of panels on my drives around the state. I went to seminar (that turned out to be more of a sales pitch) in Andover awhile back and was told that NH gets as much sun as California on average. Of course you will have to determine if any benefits you receive outweigh the costs, but I have also run across a number of videos where people have rigged up their own systems dramatically reducing start up costs.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:37 PM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
I dont know why, but I see a lot more solar in Mass than NH. Especially on the roofs of businesses. I'm guessing Mass gives a decent rebate or credit.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:58 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
I dont know why, but I see a lot more solar in Mass than NH. Especially on the roofs of businesses. I'm guessing Mass gives a decent rebate or credit.
Yes, MA has much better incentives for PV Solar than NH, and also slighty better insolation, plus fewer issues with snow cover.

Quote:
I am thinking to move out of New York and into a "Live Free or Die State". I want to grow my own vegetables and fruit shrubs without neighbors complaining to any town boards (that will mow them down) And I want to put solar panels on my home without consequences. I'm also thinking (just dreaming) of having a goat or two.
There are actual farms for sale in New Hampshire where people expect you to have livestock; much of the state is semi-rural. If you stay out of the cities, instead looking outside the "compact area" in a smaller town, you should be able to find everything you want, except proximity to a hospital (figure 30+ minutes away). Most towns are proud of their (small) library and town center.

I was looking at houses in Mont Vernon and Amherst; some have a restrictive covenant on the deed prohibiting raising chickens or goats, but this is the exception, not the rule and is just something the developer added, not a town zoning policy.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:08 PM

84 posts, read 121,217 times
Look at Milford NH pop about 15.000,

Old 06-25-2013, 03:50 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
Warner is nice.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
Solarize MA has been a hugely successful program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire