Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,331 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to NH in a few weeks! We have always wanted to move to New England and we are very excited. We are renting for the first year in Hooksett so that we can explore the state to find a great place to live for life. Any suggestions for towns to go explore? My husband already knows Concord and Manchester pretty well. We have been to Portsmouth, Hanover and Lebanon. We are foodies and love seafood. Also, we have heard of all the great trails in NH but have no idea where to start to find one. Basically, I would like to know some of your favorite towns and or sites in NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 07:00 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
The New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation : Bureau of Trails

Old 07-14-2013, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,331 times
Thank you for the link! Found out we live right next to one of the larger state parks.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 8,047 times
I always had fun climbing Mount Monadnock in Jaffrey NH. Its about 1:20 min drive from Hooksett to the west down Rt 101. Its a very scenic, and relatively easy hike. Sometimes you can even see downtown Boston from the top on a clear day. New Hampshire also has more remote trails farther north that wind through the mountains. The views are spectacular up there and they are worth the drive.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:59 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,957 times
Mt Kearsarge is a good hike too with a great view. probably a little closer to hooksett.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:21 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Default Trails for walking and biking...

Are you looking for paved walking trails, or wilderness trails? There are so many right here in southern NH!

Right there in Hooksett, in your own back yard is The Pinnacle. It's not a very well-maintained trail, and the beginning is right in a residential neighborhood. It's not wilderness, but it's very scenic and a nice place to go for a picnic and enjoy a bit of nature right in town.

We love trail system at the former Benson's Animal Park in Hudson. Some of the trails are quite challenging, others wide and flat. There are hills, bridges, bogs, ponds. Lots of nature (kingfishers, heron, beaver, turtles, etc) Since you're not from New England originally, you probably don't know the history of the park. It was a former 'zoo' of sorts, with a small amusement park area. When Benson's closed in the 80s, the structures were abandoned and it sat for decades. In the last few years, an active volunteer group has unearthed the beauty that this park contains, and now has a fenced dog park, a playground, a 9/11 Memorial, and many of the original structures have been renovated. If anyone out there remembers going to Benson's as a kid, you should definitely check out the park now. It's enjoyable just to walk through the former park area, or do an intense trail hike/ride (no motorized vehicles)

Another favorite place to explore (once the summer crowds have gone) is Pawtuckaway State Park in Nottingham. There are a number of trails to explore, boulder fields, etc. and a great lake that you can jump into to cool off if necessary.

We also like the trails at Lake Massabesic in Auburn. There is an Audubon Center nearby, beautiful gardens. Trails of varying intensity: some is paved and flat. There is 13+ miles of single track trails for bikers, and about 20 miles of fire roads. Lake Massabesic is the public water supply for the city of Manchester, no swimming or wading allowed.

The Rail Trail system is gaining momentum, and there is now a trail that extends from Hood Park in Derry to the Salem/Windham border (Intersection of 28/former 111, close to Searles Castle).

Food: Since you are foodies, you might be surprised at the number of independly owned and really good restaurants in Manchester and Nashua. Two of my favorites in Manchester are XO on Elm, and Republic, also on Elm. In Nashua, Surf is supposed to be fantastic, but I haven't been there yet. Always a good meal at Villa on Main Street.

Looking forward to seeing more replies on trails and food! They go so well together!!

Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 AM

152 posts, read 134,551 times
Chez Vachon for a tasty poutine in Manchester. yum yum.

Hi Valerie, I sent you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Are you looking for paved walking trails, or wilderness trails? There are so many right here in southern NH!

Right there in Hooksett, in your own back yard is The Pinnacle. It's not a very well-maintained trail, and the beginning is right in a residential neighborhood. It's not wilderness, but it's very scenic and a nice place to go for a picnic and enjoy a bit of nature right in town.

We love trail system at the former Benson's Animal Park in Hudson. Some of the trails are quite challenging, others wide and flat. There are hills, bridges, bogs, ponds. Lots of nature (kingfishers, heron, beaver, turtles, etc) Since you're not from New England originally, you probably don't know the history of the park. It was a former 'zoo' of sorts, with a small amusement park area. When Benson's closed in the 80s, the structures were abandoned and it sat for decades. In the last few years, an active volunteer group has unearthed the beauty that this park contains, and now has a fenced dog park, a playground, a 9/11 Memorial, and many of the original structures have been renovated. If anyone out there remembers going to Benson's as a kid, you should definitely check out the park now. It's enjoyable just to walk through the former park area, or do an intense trail hike/ride (no motorized vehicles)

Another favorite place to explore (once the summer crowds have gone) is Pawtuckaway State Park in Nottingham. There are a number of trails to explore, boulder fields, etc. and a great lake that you can jump into to cool off if necessary.

We also like the trails at Lake Massabesic in Auburn. There is an Audubon Center nearby, beautiful gardens. Trails of varying intensity: some is paved and flat. There is 13+ miles of single track trails for bikers, and about 20 miles of fire roads. Lake Massabesic is the public water supply for the city of Manchester, no swimming or wading allowed.

The Rail Trail system is gaining momentum, and there is now a trail that extends from Hood Park in Derry to the Salem/Windham border (Intersection of 28/former 111, close to Searles Castle).

Food: Since you are foodies, you might be surprised at the number of independly owned and really good restaurants in Manchester and Nashua. Two of my favorites in Manchester are XO on Elm, and Republic, also on Elm. In Nashua, Surf is supposed to be fantastic, but I haven't been there yet. Always a good meal at Villa on Main Street.

Looking forward to seeing more replies on trails and food! They go so well together!!

Old 07-22-2013, 05:02 AM

276 posts, read 448,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerDude View Post
Chez Vachon for a tasty poutine in Manchester. yum yum.
this is my first stop when I head up to NH in the fall to look for houses! It was delicious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire