Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:20 AM

119 posts, read 355,738 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any pictures they can share of Londonderry and Nashua? And not just downtown areas, but the outskirts, too (neighborhoods, businesses, etc.)?

My hubby's company is based in Bedford, Mass. and there's a good possibility he will be taking on a new position in that location and we would be relocating up that way within the next year or so. We've been told that lots of people at his company live in NH because of the lower cost of living, but commute to MA for work. We think we would likely end up doing the same thing, but of course we want to do lots of research first.

I've been lurking in this forum a lot, subscribing to various threads I think offer helpful info (Valerie C, I always look forward to your insight, especially ). I would really love to see some pictures of Nashua and Londonderry, because based on what I've researched and read on here, they have affordable homes and good schools (well, Londonderry does, anyway)

So, if you have any, please post pictures of those towns (the good, the bad, and the ugly), just so I can start forming a mental picture in my mind.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 02:31 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,540,835 times
Smile Londonderry from my perspective!

If I was there, I'd run out & take photos to give you a better sense of the town. Only have Londonderry. Sorry no Nashua. Regards, Boo

This is what I have to share:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd280/BuggaBoo2_album/londonderry6.jpg (broken link)

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd280/BuggaBoo2_album/londonderry5.jpg (broken link)

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd280/BuggaBoo2_album/londonderry4.jpg (broken link)

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd280/BuggaBoo2_album/londonderry2.jpg (broken link)

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd280/BuggaBoo2_album/londonderry.jpg (broken link)

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd280/BuggaBoo2_album/herethere_08.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-09-2007, 02:48 PM

Thank you! Anyone else??

Old 11-09-2007, 07:51 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
I've got some pics of Nashua, and even more of Londonderry, however they all are on my laptop, which is spending tonight (maybe longer) away from me with the computer tech. I'll hopefully be back up and running Sunday or Monday at the latest, and will get some pictures posted here for you. Here is something that I posted in another thread awhile back, from one of Londonderry's many apple orchards:

Londonderry's Police Station:

Leach Library:

Pumpkin Time!

That's all for now... I'll be posting more after the parade tomorrow (Saturday) and there will surely be some of my favorite band... the Londonderry Marching Lancer Band (all 300+ of them....) (shameless plug)

Nice pics of Londonderry Buggaboo! Oh, see the 3rd picture down that Buggaboo posted? The hill in the background over on the left is the hill where everybody sleds in winter. It's much higher than it looks in the picture...

Old 11-10-2007, 10:54 AM

37 posts, read 155,359 times
Default Londonderry and Nashua

Hi There,

I don't have any pics on this computer, but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in on your choices. We live in Nashua currently and we are debating whether to stay here or go to Londonderry. My daughter(4) goes to ballet with a bunch of kids from Londonderry and the mom's can't say enough how happy they are with not only the schools, but the extracurricualr programs as well. Nashua is also nice, but it is much larger than Londonderry and it is a city(Londonderry is a town). Nashua does have lower taxes b/c of the Mall and other businesses(some great restaurants!), but the schools vary greatly by neighborhood. If you do choose Nashua, make sure to do lots of research on the neighborhood school. I know that Charlotte Ave, Bicentennial, Birch Hill, Main Dunstable, and Broad Street are some of the better elementary schools in Nashua. Working in Bedford, MA, the commute from Nashua would definitely be easier, but Londonderry has more of a small town feel, so it really depends on what you are looking for.

I will try to find some pics of Nashua for you...please let me know if you have nay other questions.

Jan

Old 11-10-2007, 12:11 PM

Thanks so much for the pics, Val (those are exactly the kinds of pictures I'm looking for), and for the input, Jan (very helpful)!

Our little guy will be 3 in two weeks. Schools will be extremely important to us. He has some developmental delays due to being born 4 months early. He is currently receiving speech, occupational therapy, and physical therapy services and they may or may not need to continue once he starts school. Speech and OT most likely, PT not likely, but you never know. Don't know if he will have an IEP---we'll find out in 2 weeks---but if he does, I want to be sure that whichever school system we go to, it has a strong special education program.

Some more questions:
Jan, are there any Mommy and Me groups in the area (Londonderry or Nashua) that you know of?
Do you know anything about the preschools in the area? Any particular ones that have great reputations?
What kinds of family-oriented activities are there to do on the weekends, especially with kids under 5?
Have you been to the seacoast? If so, which towns are best for a "day at the beach" excursion? Do you like the beaches?
Are there little convenience stores you can run to just to pick up a gallon of milk on the way home from work, or do you have to make a grocery store run?

They're all the questions I have for now, but trust me I will have a TON more as I think of them.

Thanks again for the pictures and info. Looking forward to more on both accounts.

Last edited by janny; 11-10-2007 at 12:20 PM..

Old 11-10-2007, 12:36 PM

835 posts, read 2,878,058 times
Londonderry has an excellent special ed program. I have two kids with an IEP. Can't say enough good about the schools. They've been followed since elementary school. One is now in 6th grade and the other 11th, and they wouldn't have survived this far without the help of the Londonderry school's great special ed dept. Not only do they go to great depths to help my kids succeed, but they are a constant source of encouragement and support for me.

For general NH information, this is a great site...a wealth of information. Explore around the site for a while. Many different links which lead to other links, but you have to keep clicking to uncover all there is to see here.
NewHampshire.com - The Homepage for New Hampshire!

Old 11-10-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinalkulp View Post
Londonderry has an excellent special ed program. I have two kids with an IEP. Can't say enough good about the schools. They've been followed since elementary school. One is now in 6th grade and the other 11th, and they wouldn't have survived this far without the help of the Londonderry school's great special ed dept. Not only do they go to great depths to help my kids succeed, but they are a constant source of encouragement and support for me.

For general NH information, this is a great site...a wealth of information. Explore around the site for a while. Many different links which lead to other links, but you have to keep clicking to uncover all there is to see here.
NewHampshire.com - The Homepage for New Hampshire!
Thank you so much! That is so good to hear! Do you know anything about the special ed programs at other school districts, just in case Londonderry isn't where we settle?

Btw, I've seen the links to your house in other posts and I sure do wish we were ready to move now. Your home is gorgeous and I know you've been hoping to sell it for quite some time. Ironically, we will be moving from NC to NH and you're doing the opposite, right? Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in selling soon!!

Old 11-10-2007, 01:17 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,540,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Nice pics of Londonderry Buggaboo! Oh, see the 3rd picture down that Buggaboo posted? The hill in the background over on the left is the hill where everybody sleds in winter. It's much higher than it looks in the picture...
Thanks Val, I now have a picturesque vision of a bunch of red-cheeked kids sledding down the hill (I know I live in a dream world). I love that photo of the apple orchard, I remember it from the other post - my favorite!

janny, I think Londonderry is a wonderful town & as momoftwonh says it is more town & Nashua is city. So from my outsider view, it's country yet you're not out in the middle of nowhere. They have big boxed stores, grocery store, restaurants & markets. When we're there, it's always been easy to pick up milk easily (travel w/ 2 little ones). I love the seacoast! There are so many quaint seaports...from Maine thru NH & into Mass. Lots of little beaches & great to take kids there (done that too). Hampton Beach is nice off season (spring & fall) for just walking & collecting stuff (little boys do that). It seems to be a wonderful place to raise children, IMHO! Oh, and here's the Mom's Club of Londonderry (looked into that too): Home

And for Mom's Clubs in other cities: International MOMS Club: Chapter Links

Good luck to you, Boo

Old 11-10-2007, 01:24 PM

835 posts, read 2,878,058 times
janny, unfortunetly I don't know anything about the special ed in other towns, but hopefully someone else can help you out with info on other areas. As far as our home for sale, thank you for the compliments. Yes, you and I have the exact opposite goals in regards to location...funny! I sure hope our home will sell by the time you're ready to move here, but hey, you never know in today's market. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire