Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Seasons View Post
Nashua is high on our list due to folks such as yourself recommending it but what's up with the Nashuaters? LOL I thought of that as I was thinking of a post I read calling Nashua "Trashua". Why is that?
I'll just leave you with this. I'm hoping to move to NH one day. I spoke with a Nashua police officer about a year ago. He said whatever I to not move to Nashua. He said when he can afford he is moving his family away from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Seasons View Post
Nashua is high on our list due to folks such as yourself recommending it but what's up with the Nashuaters? LOL I thought of that as I was thinking of a post I read calling Nashua "Trashua". Why is that?
In any city there will be people that had a bad experience or constantly point out all the negatives. They'll even provide examples as proof. Hang around the "trashy" sections of a city and/or hang around trashy people and you too will leave with a negative impression. Cops probably see the worst in a city.

In southern NH, it's all about compromises. Take the good with the bad. Set realistic expectations.

I'm sure Lowell has always had an influence on Nashua gang activity and drug traffic. But, since I try to stay away from "that scene", it has not affected me.

At this point, you really need to visit and spend some time in the cities you are interested in. Get a feel for which you are comfortable in.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:37 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,945 times
The problem is that you don't need to be in "that scene" for it to affect you. Look what's happening in Manchester right now. It's true you probably need to be in "that scene" to worry about being shot in the face as you open your apartment door. But there has been a HUGE wave of burglaries, as well as an uptick in random violent crimes, as well as non-random violent crimes. The consensus is that drugs are the root of the problem. Crazy things are happening like a woman's house burglarized on a nice weekend morning while she's right there, mowing her lawn. (That's one of the weirdest, but probably least scary-sounding, of the burglaries which have occurred while people are home.) The other day some guy opened his door after ordering a pizza, and was hit on the head with a metal pipe, and robbed. There have also been situations where pizza deliverymen were robbed after being called to vacant residences. You've got a woman driving along, then confronted and blocked by a group of drunk men who then smash out her rear window with an expandable baton, all because the car in front of her drove through a puddle and accidentally splashed the men. Nashua is also experiencing uptick in crime and yeah, much of it is coming from Lowell and Lawrence, MA. Even Bedford had that horrific home invasion, followed by a second unrelated home invasion which got less media attention.

I'm not saying Nashua is all bad. I was surprised the first time I drove through some of the residential areas (as opposed to the massive area of sprawl designed to attract Massachusetts dollars to tax-free NH.) There are some very nice old neighborhoods. Those areas have the feel of a lot of the older Boston suburbs, with older eclectic architecture, and larger tree-filled lots. The downtown itself has a couple nice pockets, and also, to me, feels like the downtown of one of the older suburbs north of Boston. My husband and I seriously considered living there for its proximity to Boston and direct (but long) commute to his job in NH. But for location, aesthetics, amenities, I would choose Portsmouth if I were moving here and had no ties to any one town yet. In addition to its unrivaled beauty (both natural, and architectural) it has a thriving restaurant/café/shop scene which simply doesn't exist at the same level anywhere else in NH.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:44 AM

489 posts, read 964,302 times
Come on up to Sunapee. No gangsters here.

-Mike

Old 09-17-2013, 10:11 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I'll just leave you with this. I'm hoping to move to NH one day. I spoke with a Nashua police officer about a year ago. He said whatever I to not move to Nashua. He said when he can afford he is moving his family away from there.

I go to Portsmouth often and have good friends there. I also have good friends with the police department in Portsmouth. Portsmouth is definitely the top place to live in NH. At least for the areas you listed. Great downtown, very low crime, active and well respected PD and near many things to do and visit.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:17 PM

128 posts, read 293,358 times
Thank you everyone for your input! I don't know if you realize it but you guys/gals have been a tremendous help in our relocation effort and we do really appreciate it. It sounds like we are leaning more towards Portsmouth at this point. The last things we will be doing is researching more on the business aspect of things with regards to the local statutes, etc. and plan our scouting trip the beginning of spring! Yay! I think I'm Youtubed out for now but since it will be at least another 7 months before we will be flying out there to do some scouting, if anyone has time please hook us up with a few video links if it's not an inconvenience. Anything and everything will be much appreciated such as: your lunch/coffee/café stop, stroll down the street in downtown, fall garden preparations, raking the fall leaves, pumpkin hunting, etc. I know I am getting greedy by now but it doesn't hurt to ask lol. Again thank you everyone!

Last edited by Need4Seasons; 09-17-2013 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 09-17-2013, 05:45 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
DH and I also look often at Portsmouth a lot as well. A very appealing town. I too understand and sympathize about the lack of that profound Asian influence which would limit your shopping options. Being Japanese myself, my comfort food selection leans toward that way.

Out of curiosity though, for you is it the shopping experience or is it something particular that you're looking for? Most Asian food items can be ordered online via sites like Buy Asian, Chinese and Malaysian Grocery online - Best, cheap and huge selections of food, groceries, cooking ingredients, snacks, beverages etc at Asian Supermarket 365., www.hmart.com, or even on Amazon itself.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:20 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
A Chinese woman here in the process of moving to Northwood. I'm not worried about the lack of Asian culture in the area. I'd just plan ahead to stock my pantry with the appropriate Asian condiments. And any needed vegetables that I can find at Hannafords or the local farmers market, I will grow myself.

As to schools, the Coe-Brown Academy in my town is rated a 10, but I could see you sending your children to Phillips-Exeter Academy where my stepdad went. And he ended up at Harvard.

I wouldn't mind living in Portsmouth. I think that Nashua is too full of displaced MA people. I haven't explored that much of Manchester yet. Anyway, if you are attracted to NH for its conservatism, then stay out of southern NH.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:14 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,945 times
Phillips Exeter is over $36K a year just for day students... over $46K per year for boarders. (Yes, they do have good financial aid for those who qualify.) They also only accept about 19% of all applicants, with a lower acceptance rate for the general applicant pool (non-faculty/staff kids, etc..) Our governor, by the way, is the wife of the principal there (a position equivalent to college president) and lives on campus.

The distressing thing about Coe-Brown is that the top 10 graduates each year rarely go to good colleges. I went to a public high school in coastal Maine and with very few exceptions our top 10 went to top national universities and top liberal arts colleges. Most of the top 10 Coe-Brown grads go to UNH or local community colleges, or other middling and no-name schools. I don't know how that can pass for a top-rated school.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:38 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Interesting. But doing well in high school doesn't mean that the family and their child want to go on to a top college. If they are really happy in NH, they may just want to spend their whole lives working and living in NH and having a degree from a top college isn't really needed for that... and why waste the money an expensive college education, especially if it's only a liberal arts college?

So far, most of the people I've met in town are good basic people, they are in the trades, have a working farm, but nothing like a software developer, scientist, artist or writer. I did hear that some Berkeley College of Music professor bought a rundown farm to restore. But it's a very rural area. So I'd say that their children would tend to go on to trade schools or an agriculture strong university. Otherwise, my immediate neighbor, who works at a company who makes turbos for the automotive industry, moved to town last year specifically so that his son could go to Coe-Brown for free rather than pay for it as an out of towner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire