Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:27 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,962,388 times

Advertisements

Katlakat, I'm sorry that your dog was lost by that kennel, so glad that you found her!

If you could board your dogs and cats together (in a "family" room) in an upscale facility with excellent service and security and large homey suites rather than small cages and barren runs... would you consider doing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 01:12 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,183,009 times
sure, I'd try anything at least once As long as I am not held responsible for Peanut knocking over every hanging picture on your wall and stalking you by watching your reflection in the mirror to see if you're coming up behind her for a good ol' spankin' LOL.

She's a tool that #$@# cat!

Old 12-02-2007, 04:05 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,962,388 times
Too funny Katlakat... I have a little hellion myself

Old 12-04-2007, 04:36 AM

407 posts, read 1,560,150 times
1. Do you have a cat in your household? Are there a large amount of cat parents in the area, or are dogs still the majority household pet?
-yes, I have three cats, two of which are 13, and one is 11.

2. If you have a cat, do you have more than one? Would you say that most cat households have more than one?
- most of the folks I know tend to have more than one cat.

3. Does your household have both cats & dogs? Do most pet households have both dogs and cats?
- only cats, but I know a couple folks that do have both.

4. Are the majority of cats indoor, outdoor, or both?
- mine are indoor, as are most of my friends'.

5. Do you, or anyone you know, have a cat with health problems (diabetes, arthritis, kidney issues)? Are you having a difficult time finding resources and boarding option for your special needs cat?
- I have one that was diagnosed with kidney problems, so she gets medication twice a day. Happily, there is a pharmacy in Nashua that does "compounding", so I can rub the transdermal medication in her ear instead of either pills or shots. You would be amazed at how stubborn a 6-lb cat can be! One of my other pets has a heart murmur, so he gets a pill every morning. (Happily, he's not running on all cylinders, so I swear he only remembers the treat AFTER the pill in the morning, because he follows me around every morning until I grab him). Up to this point, I have pay a neighbor that helps out when I travel and stops at the house every morning and evening.

6. Do you, or anyone you know, not go on vacation or worry about being absent because they don't feel comfortable boarding their cat in "standard" kennels?
- I have a friend in MD that will only go on vacation if she has someone stay at her house with her cats.

7. Would you, or a cat parent you know, be relieved/happy to board their cat(s) in a high-quality, loving cat hotel that emphasizes proper environment, nutrition, and activities for all cats and is capable of administering required medications and medical treatments (such as SubQ fluids) for a special needs cat?
- I have to admit that I would board my cats only as a last resort. Even if they are by themselves with someone stopping in to check on them, cats are a lot more sensitive to environment than dogs... if I'm going to be gone, they seem to do a lot better being "home" and with each other. Just the travel to and from the vet is traumatic enough for them.

8. Have you, or anyone you know, had a bad experience boarding your cat? If so, would you be comfortable giving me details?
- most of my friends do not board.

9. Have you, or anyone you know, had a great experience boarding your cat? If so, would you be comfortable giving me details?
- if I HAD to board them, the "Cat Doctor" in Dover has a great set-up for them. The "kennels" are floor-to-ceiling glass enclosures facing the outdoors with bird-feeders close by and multi-level perches in each "kennel". The vet services are outstanding, so I would have to presume their boarding is also great. If I end up using them, I'll let you know how it goes!

10. Do you know of a kennel/cattery that boards cat and is consistently overbooked or underbooked? Would a new premium facility be beneficial?
- don't know.

11. What services and factors do you consider most important when considering a caregiver for your cat? Would you travel farther to take your cat to an excellent facility that offered all or most of those? If so, how far would be willing to travel?
- again, boarding is never my first choice, but having someone to give them meds, being in a clean, comfortable environment which is big enough for my three cats to stay together, and having folks that genuinely like animals is key. I'd also prefer a place that would totally segregate the cats from any other animals to reduce their stress.

As another person noted, providing "house call" service would also be a great option for you. Many people with cats prefer to keep them at home, and having someone that can just stop in, check on them, and do any minor medicating would be key. Something else to consider is getting a cadre of "employees" that you can refer for in-home cat-sitting. When I traveled extensively, there were often nearby responsible students, military folks, or relatives/friends of friends that would just "house-sit" for me. I'd pay them less per day than it would be to board all three of my "kidz" in a kennel, and my kidz got to stay in their comfy home environment. It was an added bonus for the persons to have a place to stay for themselves outside dorms, barracks, or crowded apartments. It also meant my house was not "empty" for any length of time. This always worked out great for me for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire