Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 06:52 AM

238 posts, read 315,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
sup grammar nazi?
Nothin'. Watching the game, having a bud. 'Sup with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 07:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
Although I am not without error I do appreciate reading a clear, concise, coherent, correctly spelled and punctuated English. So do most potential employers. Just because the technology makes correction difficult it does not relieve the writer of the obligation to do the above.

I suggest the OP get a list of galleries and art markets in NH and Northern Massachusetts and start sending out résumés and making calls.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:37 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1987 View Post
Why is everyone so critical of spelling and English on here it's just a forum. I'm using my iPhone it's pain to go back and change everything.
Because it shows a lack of care and attention to detail, something employers do not appreciate. If it's a pain for you to correct spelling mistakes, you're sending a message about how much effort you might put into your job. I wouldn't hire you, but maybe I'm too old school with my appreciation for spelling, grammar, and generally putting effort into things. A forum is still written communication and you may as well do it right....

Old 03-08-2014, 03:29 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,850,718 times
If I got a resume or an email from a job applicant with a typo, I would not hire that person. One of three reasons:

- They can't write
- They can write, but did not check before sending. Careless.
- They saw the mistake but did not correct it. Wrong priorities.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:17 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,161,054 times
For many jobs, someone who has a consistent attitude towards the correct way to do things and an eye for detail (so that time isn't wasted on later corrections), is a more attractive job applicant than someone who sloppy with their written and verbal communication. No employer wants to delve further to find out if that applicant really knows good spelling and grammar... or just wasn't feeling it at that moment in time.

Doing it right the first time is the most efficient way of running a business. Later corrections from sloppy thinking is just wasted lost labour hours.

When I first communicated with my boyfriend over AOL instant messaging, I was impressed that he always used full sentences, correct spelling, proper caps, and punctuation, and dispensed with "LOL" and "TTFN" nonsense. And that's why he got a chance to date me and many others were turned down. So eleven years later, we are still together and now with a home in NH.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:14 PM

24 posts, read 21,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
For many jobs, someone who has a consistent attitude towards the correct way to do things and an eye for detail (so that time isn't wasted on later corrections), is a more attractive job applicant than someone who sloppy with their written and verbal communication. No employer wants to delve further to find out if that applicant really knows good spelling and grammar... or just wasn't feeling it at that moment in time.

Doing it right the first time is the most efficient way of running a business. Later corrections from sloppy thinking is just wasted lost labour hours.

When I first communicated with my boyfriend over AOL instant messaging, I was impressed that he always used full sentences, correct spelling, proper caps, and punctuation, and dispensed with "LOL" and "TTFN" nonsense. And that's why he got a chance to date me and many others were turned down. So eleven years later, we are still together and now with a home in NH.
Probably the OP knows the difference between a resume and this forum. I certainly abbreviate when I txt and FB so I guess MUI you won't jump at the chance to date me

Old 03-10-2014, 06:36 AM

382 posts, read 336,691 times
I would like to say that only one of the replies on my thread was helpful. I work in retail and just need to find a different job until I am done with school. I have been written up 3 times in the past 4 months. I have worked at my current job for more than 5 1/2 years. I've never been written up this much over policies.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:41 AM

81 posts, read 137,952 times
It really is disturbing how many folks are too lazy to appropriately structure, spell, and abbreviate on electronic communications. I make mistakes too, but I do make a concerted effort to properly use the English language.

I do use acronyms all the time though, just the obvious ones...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormglitter View Post
Probably the OP knows the difference between a resume and this forum. I certainly abbreviate when I txt and FB so I guess MUI you won't jump at the chance to date me
LOL, and those sentence structures are a mess...

Old 03-10-2014, 10:05 AM

176 posts, read 298,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1987 View Post
I would like to say that only one of the replies on my thread was helpful. I work in retail and just need to find a different job until I am done with school. I have been written up 3 times in the past 4 months. I have worked at my current job for more than 5 1/2 years. I've never been written up this much over policies.
Not a job forum, so it's not going to be very helpful. Pound the pavement, ask friends, relatives, etc. Put in applications and call back twice a week until they're so sick of you they hire you. Don't be surprised when you go over a year without a really good job offer.
Find out whats changed in your current situation, if you answered "nothing" then it's you. Either way, get another retail job fairly quick, either you're burned out or your boss is starting to not like you any more.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:16 PM

382 posts, read 336,691 times
Burned out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire