Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 04:16 PM

119 posts, read 207,652 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some information please about the Concord area?I'm interested in the surrounding towns,lower taxes,a bit rural but with access to shopping,health care,etc.Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 11:03 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,346 times
This is a little dated but not much, will give you a good idea on the tax rates.

New Hampshire Property Tax Rates | NH Town Property Taxes

personally I like Dunbarton, close to both Manchester and concord, has relatively lower taxes, is rural and if schools are important, they will soon be sending their students to bow high school if not already happening.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:13 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
The area as a whole has high mobility if you have a car, but not so much by public transit. There's some traffic around downtown, but nothing of note by normal metro standards. So to some extent it depends on what you mean by 'access.' And almost anything outside of Concord (even some areas in Concord) are liable to meet or exceed the average person's expectations of rural.

Most of the 'nicest' surrounding towns are on the west side (Contoocook, Hopkinton, Henniker) while the bulk of shopping is on the east side. It would take you a hair over 30 min to get from Henniker to Steeplegate Mall, e.g.

However the hospital is on the west side at Langley Pkwy. So to some extent it depends on what you want to be closer to. Canterbury to the north is also quite nice. Bow to the south is a bit higher end as well.

Lots of Concord itself is pretty rural away from the downtown. Not as many farms on Silk Farm Rd as there used to be, but a big swath of W/NW Concord is rural, as is the NE corner around Hoit/Shaker Rds.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:32 PM

73 posts, read 119,174 times
First, I agree with bler144 that you'll need a car if you want to live outside of Concord. Even if you live within city limits, you'll probably need a car; public transportation only services a few main drags, and the healthcare/shopping options are spread out among various nexuses throughout town (see next paragraph for details). So long as you have a car, the whole city is extremely navigable and you'll never hit a traffic jam so long as you avoid I-93 on Sunday afternoons in the summer (this is easy to do; there are all sorts of easy back roads).

The mall and most of Concord's big box shopping options are on the very far east side of town on Loudon Road, close to the Pembroke line. The distance from the mall to Main Street in Concord is roughly equal to its distance to Main Street in Chichester. Concord Hospital's main campus is west of downtown on Pleasant Street, and, unless you live in Hopkinton or in some western parts of Concord, you'll have to take one of the circuitous routes to Langley Parkway or drive through potholed downtown streets with copious traffic lights to get there. On the other hand, the hospital has a branch in Epsom, right on US Route 202/4 (Epsom's main drag), close to the Chichester line, that is very easy to access by car.

Where I'm going with all this is: you should check out Chichester and Epsom. Both towns have beautiful countryside once you get off the main drags. They're as close if not closer (depending where in these towns you live) to the mall, Shaws and most of big box shopping as parts of Concord, and there's a campus of Concord Hospital right there. Taxes are low for the region (brace yourself for a sticker shock if you're out of state), and they have a reputation for being more fiscally conservative than others in the area. Best wishes with everything!

Old 03-19-2014, 06:21 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Default From your other posts it sounds like you have your own snow plow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE COLLAR View Post
I'm looking for some information please about the Concord area?I'm interested in the surrounding towns,lower taxes,a bit rural but with access to shopping,health care,etc.Thanks.
As mentioned, a lot depends on what you mean by "access". Assuming you are willing to drive, how long a drive is unacceptable?

Generally the exurbs within driving range of Manchester, Concord, or the big highways are going to be more desirable to commuters, resulting in higher property values (and higher property tax). If you don't actually need to drive to a city for daily work, you can save even more on taxes by going more rural -- some even very small towns will have a country store, local doctor's office, etc. giving access to the basic necessities with just a 5 minute drive.

There's definitely work for a good plow guy out here!

Old 03-19-2014, 08:18 PM

119 posts, read 207,652 times
Thank you all so much for your response.Thank you Nonesuch,I like to think I'm a good plow guy,I hope my customers do,as well as being a good grass cutting guy.There was a post a few months ago, Concord Recon that started me thinking about Concord.We currently pay property tax of about $6000 per year on an acre Hows the area crime wise?I sell/manage firearms for a regular job,how are the gun stores in the area?Thanks again.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:42 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE COLLAR View Post
Thank you all so much for your response.Thank you Nonesuch,I like to think I'm a good plow guy,I hope my customers do,as well as being a good grass cutting guy.There was a post a few months ago, Concord Recon that started me thinking about Concord.We currently pay property tax of about $6000 per year on an acre Hows the area crime wise?I sell/manage firearms for a regular job,how are the gun stores in the area?Thanks again.
Property taxes up here are based more on the appraised value/sq footage of your house, not on acreage. I think a 3-4 bedroom 2k sq foot house on an acre in concord would be around 6k dollars a year. do a search on bean group dot com and you can find out what the taxes will be.

For concord, rural, like others have said look to the west side of town. for the most part the town is very safe. If there was an area to avoid it would be the heights. (mostly low income housing and the problems that come with that) there is also a little bit of an issue with homeless people in the area.

As for gun shops, they are around, there are several in Hooksett (town south of concord) rileys and shooters outpost to name a few.s

Old 03-20-2014, 11:01 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Property taxes up here are based more on the appraised value/sq footage of your house, not on acreage. I think a 3-4 bedroom 2k sq foot house on an acre in concord would be around 6k dollars a year. do a search on bean group dot com and you can find out what the taxes will be.
Property taxes can be high, but of course there's no income tax. Or sales tax. There is the rooms/meals tax if you are hoteling/dining, since NH makes a good chunk of its revenue off tourism. But unless you're dining out all the time (in a city not really known for its dining) it's going to be marginal as a resident.

There is also some sort of business tax that kicks in at higher incomes for C-corp/S-corp, but I don't recall the details. Wouldn't hurt to ask a tax accountant for an opinion on if/how your business might be taxed or subject to fees, though on the whole I think it will net out much less than NJ.

But of course this is the time of year when tax accountants are unlikely to have the leisure to answer pro bono questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire