Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 AM

8 posts, read 15,132 times

Advertisements

Hello friends!

My husband, son, and I currently live in Flagstaff, AZ. We are so far from our family here and Flagstaff is a pretty isolated town. So, we are interested in moving to New Hampshire (probably in the Nashua area at first).

Is it very likely that I will be able to get a job teaching English at a high school in the Southern New Hampshire area? I have been teaching for five years. The district I currently work for is in pretty bad shape - no one has moved up the salary schedule in over 5 years. Two schools have been closed in the past three years. Cuts get worse every year. How is the financial climate in Southern New Hampshire for education?

Will it be difficult for me to get a job from so far away? Are there any job or career fairs in the area for teachers?

Any help or insight would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 09:56 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,890 times
of course, teaching positions are filled for this year already. Substitutes, though, are always needed.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the reply, buck naked. I should have mentioned that we plan to relocate in the summer of 2013, so I am wondering about SY2013-2014.

I am currently in the process of procuring my New Hampshire teaching credentials and plan to apply for positions in the spring.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:08 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,890 times
you should be fine - positions vary depending on where you are, but IMO there tend to be more of a NEED in northern NH.

There is an exceptional need for teachers to work with special needs students.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:56 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
School Administrative Unit #9

Maybe that link which is N Conway located could be of use.

I have been in Flag, and if you think that is remote I have to wonder what NH would be better at..

IMO Nashua is a tad run down looking compared to Flag.

This past Spring local politics and funding for teachers was big news in that area.

I don't live there, but I did once. it is up to you to look into the NH economy..... Of what i see of the NH economy on the tv news much of it appears to be lies, and more lies.

I see lots of small business going out of business, in the lakes regions.

It must be the family thing. Mass i assume.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:14 PM

Mac_Muz - yes, we have family in Boston, NJ, NY and Chicago. I grew up in NJ and lived there for 26 years. Our son is only a year old and it's very hard to be so far away from family. We never get to see them. Flag is absolutely gorgeous, but it truly is remote from a teaching perspective. Our district covers 4,500 square miles. If you don't work for the district, there are few other options, yet it is a very difficult district to work for.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:22 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
SAU 9 more or less is about 2 hours from Boston loosely speaking, and depending on traffic. SAU 9 is in a far more scenic area than Nashua.

My son was raised in that area and did school in that area, and I am sure his son soon to be 4 will do the same.

My son was in college in Tempe, but somehow was in Flag touring some sort of underground lava funnels, I was unable to find in my shorter stay in Flag. I liked Flag a lot, and think you will be sorry of you move to Nashua sight unseen, but that would also be up to your criteria.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:44 AM

223 posts, read 540,499 times
At least a year or two ago, I recall my school teacher friend telling another friend (who had a newly graduated daughter with a teaching certification) - how there were no jobs / hiring of teachers anywhere. Economy was tough back then, but don't think it has improved much.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:55 AM

122 posts, read 313,499 times
There aren't a whole lot of teaching jobs in Southern NH. Also, once you're onboard at a school, it doesn't mean you'll be there the next year. For the first five years of your teaching, a principal can non-renew your contract without any reason whatsoever. And they often do this. I would suggest that at least one of you have a guarantee of a teaching job (or any job) before making the move. It won't guarantee a job the following year, but it's the best you're going to get. Sorry to not be more positive, but better to know beforehand.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:24 PM

395 posts, read 458,779 times
Have you considered private schools or are you a committed public school hack?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire