Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:48 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,394,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
How do so many other states manage without inspections?
Apparently they are dangerous places to drive, and all the mechanics are broke!

Seriously, they seem to manage just fine on personal accountability and freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 09:57 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,098,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Its called a wear indicator, and meant to make noise when its time for replacement. We are talking rear drum brakes here. Those brake shoes could have lasted another 6 months before squealing. Not a lot of stopping power anyway. This whole system is insane. Locals dont see it because its all they have ever known.
No, it's because I have more important things to worry about than a $25 a year inspection. Having a good once over isn't a bad thing, especially for the large populace that pay no attention to car maintenance. If it bothers you that much feel free to leave.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:58 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,225,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
No, it's because I have more important things to worry about than a $25 a year inspection. Having a good once over isn't a bad thing, especially for the large populace that pay no attention to car maintenance. If it bothers you that much feel free to leave.
It shouldn't be government mandated. What you tolerate you validate.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:36 AM

4,262 posts, read 3,811,300 times
I lived in Jersey for awhile where they had pretty strict car inspections. Recently they did away with them and it was purely an emissions test. If you passed that you got a sticker. WHat else I liked was that it is state required so they had state run facilities where you could just drive up at anytime between the hours of operation and get your car inspected. No need for appointments or waiting on people that were getting other maintenance done to their car. It was a pretty quick process and it was also free.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:58 PM

17,691 posts, read 22,470,365 times
Kind of a dumb question but can you register your car in NH, use the car out of state and just keep renewing the tags (no inspection, no sticker) and use it out of state?

Old 07-16-2014, 03:15 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,560,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Kind of a dumb question but can you register your car in NH, use the car out of state and just keep renewing the tags (no inspection, no sticker) and use it out of state?
only if you don't get caught

Old 07-16-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
That is what I did as an active duty military member. I'm a NH resident and registered the truck in NH even though it was in ND for its entire life (blissfully rust free!). When I got it back in the state last weekend, I needed to get a sticker on it right away before I got pulled over. Turns out my registration runs out in September (my birth month), so now I've got to get another freakin inspection done in September. What a total crock.

NHDave, the NH inspection system is not enough to drive me out of the state, but as many locals do, I retain the right to voice my displeasure at the nanny-state system that MOST other states do without just fine. I think the state should focus not on the safety of the vehicles themselves, but the people behind the wheel of those vehicles. I dont have stats, but would venture to say that the vast majority of accidents are caused by bad driving, not unsafe vehicles. It's ironic that the state motto is Live Free or Die yet I need big brother to make a call on my license plate lights among other things.

The whole thing doesn't seem out of place at all until you've moved away and lived without it for a long time, then return and have to deal with it. I think life would go on fine without mandated safety inspections, except for the garages of course....

Old 07-16-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
$25? I paid $40. I've never seen one for $25. What's the average?

Old 07-16-2014, 05:15 PM

17,691 posts, read 22,470,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
That is what I did as an active duty military member. I'm a NH resident and registered the truck in NH even though it was in ND for its entire life (blissfully rust free!). When I got it back in the state last weekend, I needed to get a sticker on it right away before I got pulled over.
Do you have to pay the excise tax in order to get the tag renewal?

Old 07-16-2014, 05:37 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,098,031 times
As active duty military you can still claim your state as your residence no matter where you are, the average joe blow who legally resides in another state cannot register their vehicle in NH, you have to prove residency.
New Resident of New Hampshire | Division of Motor Vehicles | NH Department of Safety

Just as people can't be trusted to drive safely, they can't be trusted to maintain their vehicles on their own. I would be all for getting rid of the state inspection if people could be trusted, but they can't, hell some can't even turn their lights on when it gets dark or use a turn signal. I imagine there are many cars on the road that wouldn't pass and have a stolen inspection sticker on them anyway. I've never lost sleep over the yearly inspection, whether it stays or goes life will go on, I see both sides of the argument.

No idea what the average cost of an inspection is, I have a very good relationship with my dealer, they treat me well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire