Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 02:50 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,290,172 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to a house with more land. Currently live in MA and would like to find a NH town that is safe, within 1/2 hour of larger town with amenities, etc. In doing some research, I've come across Deerfield, but can't seem to find much information about it. Would appreciate any feedback you can give. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 03:51 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,147,313 times
Deerfield is very rural - the highlight of town activities is the annual deerfield fair - it's is the state's largest agricultural fair. it is referred to as a family fair because there are no gambling activities.

houses are of the rambling colonial style for the most part and there are a lot of antique colonials along the old main road through town. There is antique I'm currently looking at but the taxes are over $10K per year so I'm holding off for awhile. They do not have a high school so students have to be bussed to neighboring towns. They have a fairly new elementary school.

There are no supermarkets or strip malls, and it will be a cold day in heck before there ever will be.

what else would you like to know? I grew up in the next town over and I still visit with friends and relatives in Deerfield, so I'm there quite frequently.

A couple of weeks ago, I was pulled over for speeding (I wasn't). The cop said he clocked me at 64 in a 50 zone. I argued with him that my car was on cruise control and set for 50mph so unless my speedometer was really screwed up, he was wrong. He argued that his radar is never off. (I can't believe I argued with a cop.)

He then spotted a lighter on my console shaped like a gun, and about 2 inches long. "Do you have a permit for that?" he asked.

Maroon - I thought before I burst out laughing. "It's a lighter! It still has the orange $1.99 sticker tag on it".

He gave me back my license and registration and sent me on my merry way. NO TICKET!

of course.

just harassment - but that's normal.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:56 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,731,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Looking to move to a house with more land. Currently live in MA and would like to find a NH town that is safe, within 1/2 hour of larger town with amenities, etc. In doing some research, I've come across Deerfield, but can't seem to find much information about it. Would appreciate any feedback you can give. Thanks.

They don't even have a store or gas station. But they have a great Fair in the Fall.....

Carrie

Old 12-19-2007, 03:59 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,147,313 times
they do have a gas station at the corner of 43 and whatever that other road is.

Mike's is the name of it and gas is the same price as every where else, not higher, not lower. There is a mini mart there and quickie food on a grill.

Everybody knows everybody in Deerfield, just like most small towns.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:04 PM

117 posts, read 486,275 times
I love the area because it is small town. The houses are very nice and quaint but lots of land that has not been developed yet.. Close to 101 and 18 minutes from Mall of NH in Manchester. People for the most part are very friendly/ We shop in Raymond or Northwood and work in Merrimack/ Close to a lot of things but very quiet until the Deerfield fair comes around. Love it.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:57 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,254,712 times
Deerfield is a nice little town. I lived there for 12 years before i moved down here.Not a whole lot goes on there.There is a couple country stores, one that sells gas, a Post Office and a feed store and thats about it.The nice thing about Deerfield is it's location.It's pretty nice to live in a sleepy little town like that and be relitivley close to anything you need.Shopping, hospitals,the sea coast, the mountains, all are within a easy drive. I dont recall crime being a problem when i was there.People were friendly. I ran a small business in town and never had a problem with anyone.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:46 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,962,078 times
Back in 2002, or somewhere thereabouts, there was discussions and a vote to form a regional High School for Deerfield, Freemont, Auburn and 1 other town (can't remember with) that didn't have a local HS. The vote was denied, and so students continued to be tuitioned to local schools (Central High in Manchester, Northwood or Concord). I believe starting this year, all students will go to Concord, a better situation than splitting them up IMO.

As noted by other posters, there is a little store at the intersection of 43 and 107, I believe it was a Store 24(?) and you're also close enough to other communities to get what you need. There's a Hannaford in Raymond right near the intersection of 102/101, so easy enough for a commute, as you will most likely need to travel out of town for employment unless you work from home. According to the NHES sheet, the two largest employers in town are a Pipe Organ manufacturer (8 employees) and a Custom Shoe maker (4 employees)

Yup, if you're looking for a rural, fiscally conservative town, Deerfield may fit your needs...

Old 12-21-2007, 06:50 PM

117 posts, read 486,275 times
Hey they may build a grocery store in Candia off 43 and 101 thats only 4 miles away from me/ They are really getting cose to Deerfield now. I love the peave and quiet and beauty

Old 12-21-2007, 07:01 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,254,712 times
The old 101 used to be a pretty busy stretch of road before they re-did the highway.I remember a country western type of bar called the Tailgate years ago .Had a lot of good times there.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:10 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,962,078 times
I can remember being creeped out driving along 101, the stretch between Rte 125 and 121 (maybe 20 miles?) with all of the white crosses where there had been fatal accidents. Driving further out on 101 (Amherst/Bedford) brings back that memory...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire