Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,745 times

Advertisements

Hello friends

We just moved to Mass about 6 months ago from Texas. Hubby works in Woburn and the commute from Taunton where we are staying is crappy. so we started looking more North. We fell in love with a house in Danville. Off 111 and Beach Plain Rd. North Danville I believe.

Question is, are the schools good? great? or ok? my kids are 10 and 13.
Also how is the crime? is it quiet and safe? Anything you can tell me about the area is much appreciated.

We are used to kids playing outside, friendly folks, and peaceful lifestyle.

I know the area is pretty desolate compared to Manchester and other bigger cities but is it so far from everything that I would feel like I am in the middle of no where? I at least need close proximity to some good malls, outlets, restaurants and a whole foods LOL oh and a Cinema as we like to see a movie on Friday or Saturdays

Thanks in advance for any help or advise

Hanna
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 08:13 PM

73 posts, read 119,223 times
Danville is part of the Timberlane district, which I believe is "good." The communities making up that district are middle class suburbs, with Atkinson and Plaistow being more "suburban" and Danville and Sandown being more rural in terms of design and feel. Danville is quiet and as safe as anywhere else in New England. It's sparsely populated and might feel more remote than it is, but overall it's in a pretty convenient area, IMO. The nearest cities with lots of malls, outlets, etc. are probably Salem NH and Haverhill MA, both of which are 20 minutes away. Hampstead (5 minutes west of Danville) has some casual places to eat (pizza, Mexican, donuts, etc.); Kingston (5 minutes west of Danville) has a couple of nice dining options such as the 1686 House and Bolton's Lake House. There's a Hannaford's just over the Danville/Hampstead town line. Danville has a general store as well. The nearest movie theater is in Plaistow (10 minutes away), but there are theaters in Haverhill MA, Salem NH, Epping NH, Methuen MA and Amesbury MA, each about 20-25 minutes away. So far as charming downtown shopping is concerned, the closest option for you is Exeter, which is about 20 minutes away. (Derry is 20ish minutes away too - maybe less - and I wouldn't rule that out as an option. Decent selection of good restaurants in Derry too). Newburyport MA is 30 minutes away and Portsmouth NH is about 35 minutes away; both of these are charming coastal cities loaded with shopping and entertainment options. Basically, it's suburban living, although the town feels pretty rural. I don't envy anyone who has to drive down those wooded, poorly-lit state highways at night in the winter, but the quality of life/drive to conveniences (not to mention traffic situation!) is much better in this part of NH than in suburbs on the other side of the NH/MA line.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire