Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 07:41 AM

48 posts, read 79,451 times

Advertisements

Eagle Tribune has a pretty good interview with the manager of the Londonderry store.

Longtime Market Basket manager speaks out » Merrimack Valley » EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 02:01 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
This isn't the first time the family has tried to oust Artie T. A couple of years ago there were signs outside the Claremont store saying "Stay Artie strong." I know a lot of the people who work there by name what that mean and they told me about the family feud. Now it is pretty serious. I feel for those employees. Market Basket is one of the few stores that really goes the extra mile for their customers; I can see where they treat their employees right. Shaw's is grossly overpriced. Hannaford is expensive but I am not setting foot in MB until they bring Artie T back.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:54 PM

152 posts, read 134,589 times
Same here. I will miss my cheeseburger combo for $2.99, but not setting foot until, hopefully, Artie is back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
This isn't the first time the family has tried to oust Artie T. A couple of years ago there were signs outside the Claremont store saying "Stay Artie strong." I know a lot of the people who work there by name what that mean and they told me about the family feud. Now it is pretty serious. I feel for those employees. Market Basket is one of the few stores that really goes the extra mile for their customers; I can see where they treat their employees right. Shaw's is grossly overpriced. Hannaford is expensive but I am not setting foot in MB until they bring Artie T back.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:03 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
The best Peaches I ever had were thus years, and came from...Market Basket. No wonder they sold quickly the last time I went!

In any case, I hope this gets resolved soon. Hannaford is ok at times, but not for my regular shopping... .And when did their wing bar become $6.50/pound?! I'll take a 1-topping (quarter) slice of pizza and salted caramel gelato at Market Basket for that price.

Oh, and I'll take MB sushi options over most of Hannaford, especially the dumplings/potstickers, Spring Rolls and Unagi/Eel.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:25 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
Employees have been protesting outside the store in Warner. I did my shopping at Hannafords in Concord instead so I don't know what things are like inside Market Basket. The protesters I spoke with said they had no produce or meat. Hannafords was crazy that day and staff said it was busier than normal.

Not being from this area, I hadn't followed the Demoula's drama until recently. Both sides probably have legitimate gripes and it seems Artie T. has lost his share of court battles. That being said, it is rare to find so many employees happy with a company president and willing to put their jobs on the line. It also seems that he has been doing a lot of positive things for the company, and customers, lately. I also worry that the BOD's plan is to sell MB. Both of the newly appointed CEO's come from companies that were bought out - Radio Shack and Albertsons. I read one quote that the loss of Mr. Gooch was a win for Radio Shack. Felicia Thornton was a VP with Albertsons. I don't know how many there are out here, but at one time it was my neighborhood store in Washington. I used to drive by it to go to another. It was way overpriced and nothing special. Not really expecting good things from these 2.
Albertsons is a very large food corporation based in Boise, ID. We have several Albertsons stores in New Mexico. Their quality sucks, meat selection leaves a lot to be desired, and if Market Basket's prices roll out to Albertsons standards, you can surely bet on a sharp increase in food prices.

This is the state of the food industry in America. The lobbying of the food industry is seriously compromising the food we eat and what we get to choose from. Look at this atrocity for family farms in Michigan.

Michigan Farmers Forced To Dump 248 Gallons Of Milk And Break 1200 Eggs | Truth And Action

Why are we so blind and apathetic to it all?

Old 07-26-2014, 07:31 AM

611 posts, read 1,205,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikachu View Post
Eagle Tribune has a pretty good interview with the manager of the Londonderry store.

Longtime Market Basket manager speaks out » Merrimack Valley » EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA
Nice article. Thanks for sharing, Ikachu. Prior to the picketing, I had no idea of how generous MB was to its employees. It is rare to find a company that treats its employees as an integral part of the company. Profit sharing is generally saved for only the top executives. It is rare to find jobs with even semi livable wages and benefits without a college education. My grandfather worked at a DuPont plant with only a 4th grade education from the time he returned from the war to retirement. Through that, a little farming on the side, and my grandmother's job at the local bank, he was able to build a home, raise 4 kids, put 3 of them through University, and enjoy a full retirement. Sadly, those types of jobs are nearly nonexistent.

I hope customers will continue to boycott MB until Artie T. is reinstated or is allowed to purchase to the company. I feel as if we have been rolling over and working for less as front line workers while those at the top are getting wealthier - even when they have performed poorly. From all that I have read and heard, Artie T. had demonstrated that you can have a profitable business, be very wealthy, and do right by your employees and customers. If more of our American businesses used this model, I believe our country would not be in the economic shape that we are in.

The statement released by the BOD after the meeting yesterday read like veiled threats to the employees. I'm not too optimistic about a quick sale to ATD. IMO it looks like they are holding out to see if they can get things back to normal operations so it will look good for another buyer. But, even if there is produce on the shelves again, I have no intention of setting foot in my local store until it's resolved. I will continue to make the 27 mile trip (and spend more money) to go to Hannafords

Old 07-26-2014, 09:49 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,197,456 times
The Buzz Market Basket Song (Audio)

Old 07-26-2014, 10:37 AM

9,096 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Today I did my weekly shopping for perishables at Hannford instead of Market Basket for the first time. I will not return to Market Basket until Arthur S. Demoulas is ousted from ownership of the company (or something worse for him and better for us). It will take more than just reinstating Arthur T. to get me to return.

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 07-26-2014 at 11:13 AM..

Old 07-26-2014, 09:15 PM

9,096 posts, read 6,321,431 times
I wonder if the Stop 'n' Shop executives are now kicking themselves for closing their New Hampshire stores when they did?

Old 07-26-2014, 11:17 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I went to a farm and got my fresh vegetables today and for meat I just had hotdogs. No need for a grocery store stop yet. I've got four loaves of Market Basket bread in the freezer.

I can't say that I'm too optimistic that Arthur T. will win but what a victory it would be if he did. I think the Arthur S. people are holding out for the highest price they can get for the chain of stores. Maybe they won't even go for the highest price, maybe they'll just sell it to anyone as long as it's not Arthur T. I'm just hoping Arthur T. has really clever lawyers who can come up with a winning idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire