Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 07:20 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times

Advertisements

I think Cycling in Winter is a great idea. Five foot snowbanks with the roadways significantly narrower, along with sun blinding the auto drivers from the low angle bouncing off icy roads.I wont write about the water filled Potholes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:16 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I think Cycling in Winter is a great idea. Five foot snowbanks with the roadways significantly narrower, along with sun blinding the auto drivers from the low angle bouncing off icy roads.I wont write about the water filled Potholes.
Oh come on, it just adds to the challenge!

No, good points. That's a good reminder that winter brings issues beyond just poor traction and clogging up the works. I guess riding on the roads remains more possible in areas where they actually haul off the snow, rather than just shoving it to the curb.

I will note that around here it is common to have stretches in between storms in which the main roads are completely dry and clear (in contrast to the 6 months of ice-encrusted roads one might imagine) but yes, even when the snow is cleared away, the area close to the curb (in which most riders would ride most of the time) remains dangerously bumpy and slippery.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:09 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,196 times
Interesting...I remember listening to NPR one morning with a bit on fat tire biking in the winter. I've attached a link. I imagine you could take advantage of the many snowmobile trails and avoid any of the hazards the main roads pose in the winter. Apparently there is something like 7000 miles of snowmobile trails in NH so you would have lots of options.

Biking Through The Snow, On Fat Tires We Go : NPR

The roads can get pretty narrow in the winter with the snow banks. I wouldn't feel very safe cycling on the streets in winter.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:25 PM

176 posts, read 298,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
Interesting...I remember listening to NPR one morning with a bit on fat tire biking in the winter. I've attached a link. I imagine you could take advantage of the many snowmobile trails and avoid any of the hazards the main roads pose in the winter. Apparently there is something like 7000 miles of snowmobile trails in NH so you would have lots of options.

Biking Through The Snow, On Fat Tires We Go : NPR

The roads can get pretty narrow in the winter with the snow banks. I wouldn't feel very safe cycling on the streets in winter.
Of course, this assumes you'd be any safer with a snowmobile thundering down on you. Man, just take up cross country skiing, it'll keep your legs in shape, and almost no one crashes into a car if they're doing it properly.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:01 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfheim View Post
Of course, this assumes you'd be any safer with a snowmobile thundering down on you. Man, just take up cross country skiing, it'll keep your legs in shape, and almost no one crashes into a car if they're doing it properly.
True...but you can hear a snowmobile a mile away. I've snow shoed parts of the road heading up Mt. Kearsarge and had plenty of warning before the snowmobilers were even in view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire