Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

I suggest locating and insulating a house to solar heat standards and then leaving off the collectors and make due with large windows to the South and East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 10:56 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,945 times
There's a similar barn home available in Pittsfield, for $275,000. It's a 1790 barn, I think. It's pretty cool inside though lacking the big open end that the one posted here has.

I'm a big fan of those barn homes, actually, but I think it takes a certain kind of person/family to live in one.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:03 PM

491 posts, read 1,372,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
but I think it takes a certain kind of person/family to live in one.
I resemble that remark.
We're currently finishing a barn home. I saved all the photos in that real estate ad. Thanks for posting that.
Creating privacy while maintaining the openness is challenging.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:07 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Reading what you have been writing, I can't help but think that you might want to take a look at the plans that Artform Home Plans (based out of Portsmouth, NH) has to offer. The fact is that New Hampshire is an aging population, and there are not enough homes that are suited to aging in place. Artform Home Plans can be accommodated for empty nesters or for multi-generations under one roof. I've been through several of these homes and they are an absolute joy to walk through (I sell new construction, and truly wish that the builders that I work with would embrace the reality that in the next few decades, consumers will be buying homes with 1st floor master suite instead of the 3000 s/f center-stairway colonial homes with formal dining room...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaatric View Post
Hi. Thank you for all your responses. You all make valid points - I know we have to zone in on an area but I'm having a hard time. Building is the most logical and I happen to work in construction so I am knowledgeable but I hesitate to do that for many reasons. I'm probably too cynical but like so few builders! Maybe they have a little more integrity in NH. : )

I would love a craftsman style home - open concept with a big kitchen/family room. No formal living or dining room and about 2000 SF. It appears that very few of these homes exist anywhere. If any builders are reading this, you need to build for empty nesters! All my friends are looking everywhere for these homes and they do not seem to exist.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:19 PM

571 posts, read 1,318,613 times
I have always been impressed with the variety of homes in NH (or at least here in Southern NH). I really haven't seen any cookie-cutter neighborhoods (Except condos of course) and for $400,000 you certainly have a lot to choose from.
Even in the dense areas of Manchester or Nashua I would have trouble finding a block where all the homes are the same.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
IIRC there is immense converted barn in Landaff. it may still be for sale. There is also a great big former tavern on Rt. 10 between Lisbon and Littleton that really needs some TLC.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:45 AM

108 posts, read 145,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Reading what you have been writing, I can't help but think that you might want to take a look at the plans that Artform Home Plans (based out of Portsmouth, NH) has to offer. The fact is that New Hampshire is an aging population, and there are not enough homes that are suited to aging in place. Artform Home Plans can be accommodated for empty nesters or for multi-generations under one roof. I've been through several of these homes and they are an absolute joy to walk through (I sell new construction, and truly wish that the builders that I work with would embrace the reality that in the next few decades, consumers will be buying homes with 1st floor master suite instead of the 3000 s/f center-stairway colonial homes with formal dining room...
Thank you Valerie - I will take a look. Please mention to your builders that there are a LOT of us who would love first floor master suites... There are plenty of building plans available but I can not figure out WHERE these homes are being built!

Old 10-31-2014, 10:40 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Amen to that, Val. I won't even look at buying a cookie-cutter colonial with a formal dining room. I'm not a formal kind of guy. I can't see why people like these kind of homes, but to each their own. Looks fancy, that's for sure.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:18 AM

108 posts, read 145,376 times
I consider myself a pretty traditional person - but after living for the past 30 years in homes with formal living rooms and dining rooms, I've decided the rooms are basically a waste of space. Most people I discuss this with, feel the same way. We do use the dining room at Christmas and Thanksgiving, but that's it. A large open kitchen/dining area/family room is imminently more practical. There is a market for this home!

Old 11-06-2014, 10:34 PM

73 posts, read 119,174 times
The craftsman style was much bigger in California than it was around here; NH architecture of that period skews traditional and Victorian holdovers. Still, I've seen craftsman homes in Keene, Lebanon and Concord. (I actually believe there's one listed on Princeton Street in Concord right now, for something in the $200K ballpark). I've seen some in Hanover too, although most everything in Hanover costs >$600K. Keep an eye on Keene in particular; a lot of houses in Keene were built in the early 20th century, and the 1940s/1950s houses have a lot of built-ins and other craftsman features. (Like the rest of NH, you won't have a problem finding Queen Anns and traditional-style early 20th century homes either).

Walpole was a great suggestion. Harrisville probably has the coolest architecture/layout of all the communities in NH, even though most of it comes courtesy of the 19th century. Peterborough, Francestown, Hancock, Fitzwilliam, Hopkinton/Contoocook, Warner, New London and Exeter are all small, charming towns in the southern part of NH with an impressive collection of old houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire