Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 11:59 AM

4 posts, read 6,288 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are looking to make the move to NH within the next 5 months. We're flying out in December and driving through New Hampshire, staying at local B&Bs and looking at homes when not working (I telecommute). We'd like to be reasonably close to a hospital (no more than 45 mins away). My wife is a nurse and I work in software. We have a 1 month old son.

Our list of wants: reasonable access to stores, internet connection, relatively close to 89 (have some family that may be buying a home near New London, currently reside in Boston), at least 3 BRs, preferably some acreage (I've grown up with a garden and want to have my own, even if I only get 5ish months of true growing season, speaking of: does anyone do greenhouses? hoop houses? Anything else to extend the season?). Ideally we'd have access to co-op grocers, locally owned businesses for coffee/food/etc. We don't want to be "in town" but it'd be nice if town was easily accessible.

We love old farm houses but are very open (timberframed homes are beautiful). I love to snowboard and hike, would really like to try snowshoeing and snowmobiling so access to those would be great. Lower property tax burden, the better.

I'd very much be interested in hearing the groups suggestions. We've looked from New Boston/Francestwon up to Andover and east to Exeter. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 12:45 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,211 times
Worth checking out the areas between New London and Hanover NH. Home prices and taxes vary widely but you'll find just as much variety in the different towns as far as feel/vibe/community go. That puts you between DHMC and the hospital in New London.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:22 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Budget?

Probably best for your wife to secure employment first and then find a home within a reasonable commute.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:47 PM

605 posts, read 625,179 times
I suggest Warner. Interesting little town, out of the ordinary. You could commute to hospitals in Concord, New London, or Lebanon. You can snowboard at Mt Sunapee if you can afford their outrageous prices.

Your limiting factor is access to route 89. For the outdoor activities you enjoy, access to route 93 would be better. I wouldn't choose the route 89 corridor based on the possibility that a family member might buy a house in New London. I would choose the place where I wanted to live and I would travel to visit the family member. In New Hampshire you get used to traveling 50 miles to visit someone.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:01 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTimeAround View Post
Our list of wants: reasonable access to stores, internet connection, relatively close to 89 (have some family that may be buying a home near New London, currently reside in Boston), at least 3 BRs, Ideally we'd have access to co-op grocers, locally owned businesses for coffee/food/etc. We don't want to be "in town" but it'd be nice if town was easily accessible.
As long as you are flexible on what "reasonable" and "relatively close" mean, and given that you are open to various style and age of house, you should have many options to choose from.

Quote:
preferably some acreage (I've grown up with a garden and want to have my own, even if I only get 5ish months of true growing season, speaking of: does anyone do greenhouses? hoop houses? Anything else to extend the season?).
With the snow load, I don't see many people doing greenhouses or tall hoop, but do see some cold frames and low hoop houses.

Quote:
I'd very much be interested in hearing the groups suggestions. We've looked from New Boston/Francestwon up to Andover and east to Exeter. Thanks in advance!
In that region, also worth considering Weare, Mont Vernon, and Lyndeborough, or even Amherst and Milford. Once you get down to Mont Vernon you find better access to locally owned stores, including a local coffee roaster, bakeries, etc, and all are within a reasonable commute of Manchester, etc.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:26 PM

176 posts, read 298,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
In that region, also worth considering Weare, Mont Vernon, and Lyndeborough, or even Amherst and Milford. Once you get down to Mont Vernon you find better access to locally owned stores, including a local coffee roaster, bakeries, etc, and all are within a reasonable commute of Manchester, etc.
Unless you are experienced snow drivers, I'd think twice about everything but Amherst and parts of Milford. While main roads are well maintained, it's not unusual for side roads to be left coated in snow until warm temps melt it away. Even for expert drivers in AWD vehicles, it only takes one wrong move to send you off the road. If you're not used to the cold, you won't adequately prepare for being off the road in the snow (shovels, kitty litter, hand warmers, etc.), and will have a miserable time waiting for the tow truck.

Weare, Lyndeborough, and lots of Wilton are also pretty isolated, by Southern NH standards, and don't make for easy access to a lot of convenience amenities. Grew up in Wilton, and there's a lot to love, but it's a twenty minute drive from downtown to a grocery store, which is a pain if you're used to having things right there. Weare and Lyndeborough are even worse in that respect, so if you consider them, be aware of the distance you'll have to travel, under snowy conditions, to stock up on tp, milk, etc.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:35 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,211 times
I agree with others about get job first then choose a place to live closest by. In NH, you don't want to set yourself up for a 50 mile commute unless you have no other choice or you'll be miserable for many months of the year.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:03 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Default Since I moved, only twice has town failed to keep roads clear and dry, those days I make french toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfheim View Post
Unless you are experienced snow drivers, I'd think twice about everything but Amherst and parts of Milford. While main roads are well maintained, it's not unusual for side roads to be left coated in snow until warm temps melt it away. Even for expert drivers in AWD vehicles, it only takes one wrong move to send you off the road. If you're not used to the cold, you won't adequately prepare for being off the road in the snow (shovels, kitty litter, hand warmers, etc.), and will have a miserable time waiting for the tow truck.
That's not my experience driving all over Bedford, New Boston, Mont Vernon, Milford (and Amherst) for the past 4 winters. These towns do a great job clearing and sanding all but the most obscure Class VI roads (the ones that really should have been classified as private driveways).

FirstTimeAround is making the right choice, look at houses in December

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin
I agree with others about get job first then choose a place to live closest by. In NH, you don't want to set yourself up for a 50 mile commute unless you have no other choice or you'll be miserable for many months of the year.
It definitely helps that FirstTimeAround can work from home, but commuting is tough for nurses, can't just take a snow day because your plow guy didn't keep up with the storm and now your driveway is invisible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfheim
Weare, Lyndeborough, and lots of Wilton are also pretty isolated, by Southern NH standards, and don't make for easy access to a lot of convenience amenities. Grew up in Wilton, and there's a lot to love, but it's a twenty minute drive from downtown to a grocery store, which is a pain if you're used to having things right there. Weare and Lyndeborough are even worse in that respect, so if you consider them, be aware of the distance you'll have to travel, under snowy conditions, to stock up on tp, milk, etc.
Amherst, Mont Vernon, and New Boston each have a quaint little country store in the town center that stocks local milk, local eggs and name-brand TP.

OTOH, part of living in New Hampshire is planning ahead, and/or joining the crowd at Hannaford the evening before each big storm, buying french toast ingredients.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 6,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Worth checking out the areas between New London and Hanover NH. Home prices and taxes vary widely but you'll find just as much variety in the different towns as far as feel/vibe/community go. That puts you between DHMC and the hospital in New London.
Thanks, I've included those ares in our search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Budget?

Probably best for your wife to secure employment first and then find a home within a reasonable commute.
Budget is $300-400k but not over even a little bit. Like everyone, the lower the better but ideally we'd hit in the middle of that budget. We've saved for the last two years while renting in the midwest and are prepared to put at least 20% down so we don't have to pay PMI, etc. We've done our due diligence in creating this budget and feel it puts us in the best position to succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
I suggest Warner. Interesting little town, out of the ordinary. You could commute to hospitals in Concord, New London, or Lebanon. You can snowboard at Mt Sunapee if you can afford their outrageous prices.

Your limiting factor is access to route 89. For the outdoor activities you enjoy, access to route 93 would be better. I wouldn't choose the route 89 corridor based on the possibility that a family member might buy a house in New London. I would choose the place where I wanted to live and I would travel to visit the family member. In New Hampshire you get used to traveling 50 miles to visit someone.
We aren't solely basing our decision on a family member's possible home purchase but it'd be nice if we were relatively close to the New London area. If we can't make that work or we find the perfect property elsewhere then we can accept it. It's a weighted scale based on the criteria explained above. I've seen some nice homes off 93. Thanks for the town suggestions!

Quote:
As long as you are flexible on what "reasonable" and "relatively close" mean, and given that you are open to various style and age of house, you should have many options to choose from.

With the snow load, I don't see many people doing greenhouses or tall hoop, but do see some cold frames and low hoop houses.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll add them to the list while we search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfheim View Post

I lived in Denver for a bit and routinely took 70 to the mountains which was about a 90 minute drive. I don't know that I'm experienced but I think I can handle most driving. I'd be cautious and we have a 4-wheel drive but no chains as of now. Perhaps we should put those on the purchase list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Thanks, my wife isn't necessarily set on working. We are still adjusting to having a son and will re-evaluate in a couple months. She may want to stay home and be with him but it'd be nice to be within driving distance so she could, at minimum, pick up shifts should they be necessary. She may decide she misses work and wants to go back part or full time, that's why it's important to be relatively close but we needn't be on top of a hospital.

Quote:
That's not my experience driving all over Bedford, New Boston, Mont Vernon, Milford (and Amherst) for the past 4 winters. These towns do a great job clearing and sanding all but the most obscure Class VI roads (the ones that really should have been classified as private driveways).

FirstTimeAround is making the right choice, look at houses in December

It definitely helps that FirstTimeAround can work from home, but commuting is tough for nurses, can't just take a snow day because your plow guy didn't keep up with the storm and now your driveway is invisible.

Amherst, Mont Vernon, and New Boston each have a quaint little country store in the town center that stocks local milk, local eggs and name-brand TP.

OTOH, part of living in New Hampshire is planning ahead, and/or joining the crowd at Hannaford the evening before each big storm, buying french toast ingredients.
Appreciate the input, I'll keep Amhert and Mont Vernon in mind.

Update: We're booking our flight now and excited to get out to your great state. We look forward to meeting you in the stores and seeing you on the road and we hope you'll be kind to us "out of staters". Hopefully we find a place to call home. Thanks for the input so far.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:17 PM

605 posts, read 625,179 times
If you have $400,000, move to New London, end of story. It meets all of your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire