Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 02:51 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,746,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I live about 1/4 mile from a "new" natural gas line that primarily supplies the Bow Power plant and the turbine electric plant near Manchester airport. It was a replacement for a nearly rusted out very small and very old pipeline.

As far as I know no one in Londonderry not already on a natural gas service benefitted from this new pipe. I do not expect this proposed line will improve New Hampshire's fuel shortage in any way. This pipe is designed to link up to an existing pipeline along the coast of Maine through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia to feed a gas liquification plant so it can be shipped to the rest of the world. This benefits the owners of the gas fields and transmission lines at our expense without any compensation. I think the people living in the towns crossed by the pipeline, as well as most of the rest of NH, should be compensated by forcing the companies at their expense to provide natural gas service to the residents.

My other objection is to exporting ANY of out petroleum resources to the rest of the world. Petroleum, including Natural Gas, recovered in this country should be reserved for use in this country even if this cuts the market for the producers. Reducing their production just means it will take longer to use up the gas in the formations. Any case not recovered will just stay in the ground until it needs to be used by Americans. That is us.

As I do not own any part of any of the companies involved their profitability or not is none of my concern. Even if they go broke the gas they found will still be there. If the send it overseas it will not.

"My other objection is to exporting ANY of out petroleum resources to the rest of the world. Petroleum, including Natural Gas, recovered in this country should be reserved for use in this country even if this cuts the market for the producers. Reducing their production just means it will take longer to use up the gas in the formations. Any case not recovered will just stay in the ground until it needs to be used by Americans. That is us.

You thinking too long term and I agree but companies are looking at short term profits. It's so hard to truly know but I have heard that we have over a 100 yr supply of NG. One would hope in the next 50 yrs we come up with a better power source.
It does seem to me though that NG prices will be rising for Americans due to exporting LNG in 2015/ LNG fueling stations, changing power plants from coal to gas and if oil keeps declining in price then shutdowns will occur. If we export cheaper than other countries then we will take share. Maybe a good time to invest in NG co.s??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 10:28 AM

219 posts, read 367,112 times
Union bosses are weighing in:

"Kinder Morgan's new route through New Hampshire means tens of thousands of families who are forced to rely on costly heating oil or propane in their homes would have access to natural gas for the first time," said Joe Casey, President of the New Hampshire Building and Construction Trades Council. "High heating bills hurt families and our economy, and we need new pipeline capacity now. This proposal will create thousands of jobs for skilled workers and help reduce the cost of energy for New Hampshire families and businesses."

First time I have read about new access for homeowners and businesses. Either Mr Casey knows more than us or is being disingenuous.

source: Trade unions endorse controversial pipeline through Massachusetts and New Hampshire - Boston Business Journal

Old 01-13-2015, 07:40 PM

122 posts, read 278,970 times
Would people be for this pipeline if they knew that Kinder Morgan was going to take the land of dissenters by force? What if it were your land they were taking? What if you had invested a ton of money into it? What if they were going to carelessly destroy all that and give you little more than a band aid as compensation?

Old 01-14-2015, 10:31 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,218,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ittiz View Post
Would people be for this pipeline if they knew that Kinder Morgan was going to take the land of dissenters by force? What if it were your land they were taking? What if you had invested a ton of money into it? What if they were going to carelessly destroy all that and give you little more than a band aid as compensation?
Sadly people have no issues and usually encourage the .gov to impose or take what they want from others.

This is no different.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
Sadly people have no issues and usually encourage the .gov to impose or take what they want from others.

This is no different.
Yes it is sad. It's sad that I happen to be one of the poor souls Kinder Morgan wants to "take" from. Luckily no one around wants their land taken either so I've got lots of company. However if the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission gives them a certificate of need Kinder Morgan will blow through here taking what they want and destroying stuff like bandits in a post apocalyptic wild west.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:08 AM

5,307 posts, read 6,199,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ittiz View Post
Yes it is sad. It's sad that I happen to be one of the poor souls Kinder Morgan wants to "take" from. Luckily no one around wants their land taken either so I've got lots of company. However if the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission gives them a certificate of need Kinder Morgan will blow through here taking what they want and destroying stuff like bandits in a post apocalyptic wild west.

You'll be well compensated for the "right-of-way" through your property. After construction and restoration work are completed, you won't know that there is a pipeline under part of your acreage except for a little green belt. The deer and moose will benefit because they will have additional areas in which to forage.

People conflate gas pipelines with high voltage AC power lines. The latter are unsightly and also radiate electromagnetic energy.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
You'll be well compensated for the "right-of-way" through your property. After construction and restoration work are completed, you won't know that there is a pipeline under part of your acreage except for a little green belt. The deer and moose will benefit because they will have additional areas in which to forage.

People conflate gas pipelines with high voltage AC power lines. The latter are unsightly and also radiate electromagnetic energy.
You're making a lot of presumptions about my property. As you might figure I've done a great deal of research on this. I know what it will look like on my property. The permanent open ROW will destroy the purpose I bought the property. The compensation is cracker jacks compared to the damage that will be done.

It is hard to explain to people the issues of my particular property so let me use an example. Imagine if you bought an ocean front house on the cape. The house was in the back of the lot and has a large lawn going down to the beach with a great view. Not only did you get the house for the view, but the large lawn near the beach gives you some privacy from the beach goers and allows you to afford the house because you can rent your lawn for weddings and such things.

Then one day the local electric company decides they need an electrical sub station in your area. They decide the best place to put it is your front lawn. Of course this will destroy your view and hence your property value. You will no longer be able to rent the lawn and make the extra money you need to afford the place. You'll be upside down on your mortgage so you wont be able to get rid of the property because all the things that made it worth it are gone! So basically you'll be stuck with a property you can no longer afford and has none of the aspects you bought it for left! Oh yeah and the last tid bit, the land the substation sits on is still yours. They only took an easement to put the equipment on your land so you still have to pay the taxes on it!

And this analogy doesn't exactly go far enough to explain all the issues! One of the big ones it missed is people using my secluded yard as a thoroughfare. I know people who are getting excited about the possibility of a new ROW they can ride their ATVs on! I've bumped into a lot of people who try to downplay the effects the pipe will have on my property. Quite frankly they don't have a clue.

Lastly I would like to point out there is another project by a company called Spectra energy to upgrade one of their preexisting pipes. Not only is it way lower impact it negates the need for Kinder Morgan's project. So if you think there is a need for more natural gas support Spectra's project not this one.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:30 AM

5,307 posts, read 6,199,136 times
I am trying to understand your analogy. If your property is entirely open, then nobody will know that a pipeline runs underneath part of it. If it's forest, then the right of way will be visible but as a green ribbon. "No trespassing" signs will keep snow mobilers and hikers out (or should). Do you rent your property out for weddings or other functions?

Both Spectra Energy's and Kinder Morgan's proposed pipelines are needed. New England is the most underserved area when it comes to availability and use of natural gas. As I mentioned in a previous post, all of the New England governors are for the increased supply that these new gas lines will make available. Don't stand in the way of progress.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:27 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,841,952 times
I want to repeat - the gas carried by the pipeline is no intended to provide ANY ENERGY to New Hampshire or New England. NONE!

It is a very high capacity gas TRANSMISSION LINE carrying NG from Pennsylivania to Canada for sale to the rest of the World.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:40 PM

885 posts, read 2,662,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Big gas pipelines are designed to be safe. When was the last time that you heard of an explosion of a new interstate natural gas pipeline?
From 1994 through 2013, there were an additional 110 serious incidents with gas transmission, resulting in 41 fatalities, 195 injuries, and $448,900,333 in property damage.

How about at least 4 in the USA in 2014 alone:

List of pipeline accidents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2014 (Feb) In Knifely, Adair County, Kentucky, a Columbia Gulf gas pipeline exploded at 1 a.m. flattening homes, burning barns, and causing one casualty. The 30-inch natural gas pipeline was about 100 feet from Highway 76 and buried 30 feet underground. When it exploded, large rocks and sections of pipeline flew into the air, leaving a 60-foot crater. Columbia Gulf, part of NiSource’s Columbia Pipeline Group, owns and operates more than 15,700 miles of natural gas pipelines, one of the largest underground storage systems in North America. The pipeline that exploded was carrying natural gas from the Gulf of Mexico to New York.

2014 (Feb 11) A Hiland gas pipeline exploded about six miles south of Tioga, North Dakota. Hiland was “blowing” hydrates, ice-like solids formed from a mixture of water and gas that can block pipeline flow, out of the pipeline.

2014 (Mar 14) A Northern Natural Gas Company pipeline erupted near the intersection of county roads 20 and O, about six miles north of Fremont, Nebraska. A company spokesman said, "In the summer you can tell if you've got a gas leak by vegetation, sometimes it dies in the ground."

2014 (May 26) A Viking gas pipeline explosion near Warren, Minnesota was "hell on earth," shaking the ground and shooting a fireball over 100 feet in the air. Roads within a two-mile radius were blocked off. Authorities suspected natural causes because there was still frost in the ground and the soil was wet.

MANY MANY MORE pipeline accidents in 2014: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...t_century#2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire