Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 09:23 AM

5 posts, read 7,515 times

Advertisements

Lately I've been reading the Union Leader and I've been seeing quite a few reports of heroin and oxycontin and meth dealing and/or overdoses of same. This leads me to a question: How bad is the drug problem in NH? and is it mostly concentrated in Manchester, or up in the North Country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 01:19 PM

147 posts, read 269,067 times
I don't see it here in Durham/Madbury or Dover even(although I wouldn't be too surprised of the occasional user)....I think a lot of it is in Somersworth/Rochester area? I have a buddy on the drug task force and he seems to spend a lot of time there.....what I can "glean". Not like a lot of major dealers....but quite a few middle timers.

I hope its overblown....but I think that if it were compared to some major metropolitan areas.....its not that huge. It seems that crime here....there isn't much, but what there is sure makes the news. And a lot of petty stuff from what I see.

I do hear that up north its gaining traction....so Conway? Ossipee? I just don't know. Im not there to comment, nor hang out around it obviously. I don't see that many "junkies".

Old 03-17-2015, 01:39 PM

132 posts, read 196,203 times
Big problem in Laconia.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:45 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,280,513 times
Unfortunately it is everywhere.
Article from last year: http://www.wmur.com/health/report-sh...in-nh/24692772

Heck...Littleton, near where I grew up had 2 heroin related deaths last year (which is a lot for such a small town).
http://www.unionleader.com/apps/pbcs...14/0/FRONTPAGE

Heroin in the North Country
http://orleanscountyrecord.com/main....rticleID=46337

Last edited by vter; 03-17-2015 at 01:58 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 02:06 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,859,471 times
Exaggerated to sell newspapers and TV adds. There is some but it does not appear to be a big a deal as the media wants us to believe. They use fear to sell stuff. Read at your own risk.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:57 PM

147 posts, read 269,067 times
I agree with Greg.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:09 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,147,863 times
120 overdoses in 2 months with 20 deaths in one city...is not an exaggeration. There is a huge problem.

Sadly there is no help for addicts either. Even if one had the $ to pay for a rehab program, there just aren't any openings. Only 5% of the KNOWN addicts in NH can get help of any kind.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,859,471 times
In my experience the major drug problem in New Hampshire and everywhere else is Alcohol. Because it is legal we do not keep statistics on the extent of the problem so it does not exist for the media to exploit. Indeed 20 deaths in one city (per year?) is significant. How large is that compared with alcohol overdoses or the ever present drunk driving?

I am not calling for prohibition of alcohol. That attempt of enforcing "proper" behavior was a give away to the FBI and the Mob that did very little to reduce alcohol use and associated problems. The situation with currently illegal drugs is similar. Criminals and the police are the main recipients of the trade. We pay the police and the users pay the pushers.

Instead of keeping the opiates, meth, marijuana and all the other substances illegal we should legalize all of these chemicals and sell them alongside booze in the state owned liquor stores. If we set the prices high enough to make a profit and low enough that the previous suppliers cannot make any profit they will have to go out of business or sell something else. As the state would buy wholesale and sell at less then current retail we would make substantial profits. Most of these profits should go toward establishing clinics to help any addicts kick their habits.

Just to make this more controversial I suggest tobacco and tobacco substitutes like electronic cigarettes and snuff etc. to also be sold only in State stores and not in grocery or convenience stores. This would remove the advertisements for tobacco products out of plain sight where they can influence children to take up the use of these products.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:29 PM

9,190 posts, read 6,368,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingHometoNH View Post
Lately I've been reading the Union Leader and I've been seeing quite a few reports of heroin and oxycontin and meth dealing and/or overdoses of same. This leads me to a question: How bad is the drug problem in NH? and is it mostly concentrated in Manchester, or up in the North Country?
Opiates and other drugs infest the north country (NH, ME, VT) by infiltrating over the border from Massachusetts. Due to the need for many in southern NH to work in Mass, we unfortunately cannot close the border.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:23 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,548,664 times
Chiming in..

New Hampshire sells booze along it's highways
the abuse of alcohol leads to the following

Rape
Illicit sex among minors
and adults
Abortion
adultery
Wife beating
Husband beating
child beating
road rage
lost work
poor job performance
bar fights
murder
drunken driving,This 'legal" drug
increases your taxes
burdens the health care system
is a large reason for the welfare systems
very existence
is readily available and is found
in the majority of homes
yet rarely is it decried
or considered a serious threat
to society at large by those
that peddle it..and who peddles it?
Your government and it's politicians
most of whom are drunkards themselves

Please.. I have an occasional margarita and even an occasional beer so no I am not calling for the banning of booze but I am saying that it is hypocritical to speak of the evils of illegal drugs when the one that we allow can have far worse consequences then the ones we hype up as being an epidemic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire