Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 01:47 AM

8 posts, read 19,934 times

Advertisements

I want to know all there is about Merrimack.
The good and the bad. I've been through it once before and just found it gorgeous as it was more open as opposed to Manchester or Nashua, yet in close proximity to those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 12:31 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Lightbulb If you think Merrimack is gorgeous, you should check out Amherst NH

Merrimack is basically a suburb bridging Manchester and Nashua, so it has some of the same problems of those cities (though crime is low), While it's one of the largest cities in NH it does feel more suburb-like than Nashua and Manchester, if that is what you mean by "more open"?

I suspect Merrimack is not a town of which outsiders have a strong opinion? Because access is chopped off to the East by the river and the turnpike, Merrimack doesn't feel as connected to the neighboring towns in that direction, and just sort of blends in with Amherst and Bedford to the west and northwest.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:45 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,468 times
I lived in Merrimack for 8 years and liked it very much. Had a smallish town feel while still not being remote. A couple of decent restaurants, there are a number of parks and trail systems, grocery and drug stores, gyms (even CrossFit). A variety of different types of neighborhoods, from apartments & condos, to smaller capes and ranches, to bigger, more expensive homes with more property. There is town water and sewer and, in my experience living there, whenever we lost power even during the worst of the outages, I always felt like I had mine back days before my friends who live in Amherst or Hollis. Of course, I'm sure this will vary based on where you live in town, but that was my experience. It is very easy access on and off the highway, so pretty simple to go north or south. Very close to the Manchester airport and easy to get to the malls and Costcos and Targets of Nashua and Manchester. (I do not know anything about the school system). I ended up moving to west Nashua because I wanted to be closer to my horse in Hollis, but other than that, I was pretty happy there.

Oh, I should add that I moved to Merrimack directly from NYC. But never felt culture shock or any feeling of being in the middle of nowhere. it's pretty suburban, by NH standards. If you're looking for rural, Merrimack probably isn't it, but it's a nice compromise if you like suburban life.

You can subscribe to the Merrimack PD through Facebook and see what they post. They usually have a pretty active feed.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:50 PM

571 posts, read 1,317,873 times
Didn't they just take down the toll booths on the Everett Turnpike exits in Merrimack?
It seems to be a nice place (right next to my home town Nashua) and not mentioned much in the news (no news is good news).
It has a good share of businesses including some high-tech and of course the Budweiser plant (300 acres with Clydesdales).
There is a branch of the Greater Nashua YMCA there too and it is pretty popular because of the pool, tennis courts, squash courts, basketball and daycare.
Don't forget the Factory Outlets off of Exit 10.
Rte.3 (Daniel Webster Highway) is the main street and it runs N/S parallel to the river and Turnpike.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:36 AM

They took down the toll at Exit 12. But Exits 10 & 11 still have them. Also, the Exit to the airport/Route 3 just before the Bedford tolls is toll-free.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:06 PM

8 posts, read 19,934 times
I'm hoping to come visit NH again soon so I can see more of the cities near Nashua.
I just loved Merrimack when I saw it.
Not quite sure exactly what part of Merrimack it was.

I was actually planning on a temporary move to Nashua this year, but a couple things have gotten in the way of that.
I've just been curious about it's surrounding area as to where I'd like to reside in the long-term.
Amherst is really nice as well.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestrat View Post
I'm hoping to come visit NH again soon so I can see more of the cities near Nashua.

I was actually planning on a temporary move to Nashua this year, but a couple things have gotten in the way of that.
I've just been curious about it's surrounding area as to where I'd like to reside in the long-term.
My first year in New Hampshire I had a corporate apartment in Bedford for three months, and then was able to move to another apartment in the same complex on a six-month lease (that I could have extended to month-to-month, if needed) while I looked for a house. The apartment was near the Merrimack border. You could easily do something like that while you're scoping out the area. It's a bummer to move a couple of times in a year or so, but it's better to really get a feeling for where you want to be. Anyway, in the Nashua, Merrimack, Bedford area there are a lot of options for apartment rentals.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:46 AM

242 posts, read 244,466 times
Merrimack is a very nice town. It has all of the amenities that one could possibly need within a 20 minute commute (be it north to Manchester or south to Nashua).

Old 04-04-2015, 01:03 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
I ALWAYS recommend to my relo clients that they strongly consider renting for a full year before buying a home. It's sometimes not their best option because of concerns with their children's schooling (possible disruption, not wanting to start in a new district mid-year, or their relo benefits must be used within a certain time frame if they are selling a house elsewhere) There is quite a lot to like about Merrimack, and many living options including condo communities, new construction neighborhoods, and neighborhoods that have been in place for decades with mature trees. Hopefully you are able to find some temporary digs so that you can really check out the area to see which town is really the best fit for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestrat View Post

Old 04-14-2015, 04:31 AM

797 posts, read 1,749,003 times
Merrimack is a very nice town! I second everything DebNashua said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire