Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 04:47 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,100,106 times

Advertisements

I spent the last few day at Hampton Beach, went to a concert at the Ballroom last night and feel the whole area is missing out. The Ballroom is great, brings in great shows and is just an awesome venue. But the rest of the strip is just plain awful. It all looks rundown, there are dumpy stores after dumpy stores, the food options are either standard American fare, or sloppy pizza or fried dough. There is literally nothing there if any substance or anything that makes people really want to spend some cash.

I'm not saying that there isn't a need for the t- shirt shops or pizza places, but I think the area is over saturated with them. There isn't even a surf shop there, or even a little higher end clothing store , or anything really unique. I like Jakes Java shop, it's something different, even the little deli past Jakes is a different option. The rest just seems to be a throwback to 1986 and people seem to be ok with that.

I feel like they are missing out on a gold mine. I think the beach and the outdoor Amphitheater are kept up and are aesthetically pleasing, but across the street outside of the ballroom building it's a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 05:07 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
You should have seen it a few years ago. This is an improvement! I don't know what's wrong with it but it's not a place I would go. Salisbury Beach, MA, which is the next beach to the south is mostly a dump too but they are doing things to bring it up in the world. It has a really nice restaurant and there is now a little carousel but they still have a long way to go.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:38 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
I spent the last few day at Hampton Beach, went to a concert at the Ballroom last night and feel the whole area is missing out. The Ballroom is great, brings in great shows and is just an awesome venue. But the rest of the strip is just plain awful. It all looks rundown, there are dumpy stores after dumpy stores, the food options are either standard American fare, or sloppy pizza or fried dough. There is literally nothing there if any substance or anything that makes people really want to spend some cash.

I'm not saying that there isn't a need for the t- shirt shops or pizza places, but I think the area is over saturated with them. There isn't even a surf shop there, or even a little higher end clothing store , or anything really unique. I like Jakes Java shop, it's something different, even the little deli past Jakes is a different option. The rest just seems to be a throwback to 1986 and people seem to be ok with that.

I feel like they are missing out on a gold mine. I think the beach and the outdoor Amphitheater are kept up and are aesthetically pleasing, but across the street outside of the ballroom building it's a shame.
That's great and everything, but lets not put too many "higher end clothing stores" and other fancy expensive "boutiques" and hoighty-toighty shops there. I'm OK with Hampton Beach being a little gritty with fried dough, arcades, and pizza. What I don't want is the area becoming so upscale that only rich tourists from MA, NY, and CT can afford to visit and shop there.

I grew up in Kittery, ME, right next to Portsmouth. Portsmouth used to be a working-man's town and had at least a little "grit" including a biker bar on State Street. Now the place is so sanitized and full of wildly expensive boutique shops catering to rich upper class tourists from away. There is much less character IMO and it's not a place a middle class people can afford to live. It's almost too clean to me. Maybe I'm just sentimental for the past, but I don't feel like Portsmouth is my town anymore. It belongs to the upper crust.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:32 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,715 times
Mama Leone's Italian Restaurant on Hampton Beach, NH

Home

https://berniesnh.com/food/menu/

Old 06-11-2017, 07:42 AM

8,770 posts, read 5,059,025 times
We have been going to Hampton Beach for 40 years. Over the past few years a lot of money has been put into the beach. The new band shell, brand new rest rooms and showers have bee added. Many old hotels have been knocked down and beautiful condo`s built
I do agree, not much in the way of dining. The Sea Ketch is the best place on the beach, with three floors overlooking the ocean, and entertainment.
When we go we rent one of the new condo`s with a full kitchen, buy lobsters and clams, sit out on the balcony, people watch,see the ocean......nothing better

Old 06-11-2017, 12:27 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
All is not what people want today.
Weirs Beach is in decline. Although a lot of taxpayer money was put out to "improve" the parking and plant a tree or two.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:26 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
That's great and everything, but lets not put too many "higher end clothing stores" and other fancy expensive "boutiques" and hoighty-toighty shops there. I'm OK with Hampton Beach being a little gritty with fried dough, arcades, and pizza. What I don't want is the area becoming so upscale that only rich tourists from MA, NY, and CT can afford to visit and shop there.

I grew up in Kittery, ME, right next to Portsmouth. Portsmouth used to be a working-man's town and had at least a little "grit" including a biker bar on State Street. Now the place is so sanitized and full of wildly expensive boutique shops catering to rich upper class tourists from away. There is much less character IMO and it's not a place a middle class people can afford to live. It's almost too clean to me. Maybe I'm just sentimental for the past, but I don't feel like Portsmouth is my town anymore. It belongs to the upper crust.
I do agree for the most part. There should still be some affordable beaches that are not just for the rich.

Look at coastal CT--Old Saybrook and those towns--all private and there is probably only one (CROWDED) beach where ordinary mortals can afford to go. MA coast is the same--about the only partly gritty one left on the north shore is Salisbury and that's got a new boardwalk and fancy restaurant with more new condos in the planning. Go there before it's too late.

Portsmouth--it's like some other places that reach a sweet spot where they get better, but then go over the top. I don't even bother getting out of the car in Portsmouth anymore. Why bother? It's beautiful to look at but I can't afford those shops and restaurants.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:41 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post

The undesirable social and cultural effects of CT and NY tourists negate any benefit derived from their spending, IMO. People from CT and downstate NY are the last people I want visiting northern New England. I'd rather have year round winter than have to deal with those people.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:43 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,100,106 times
I was thinking more along the lines of variety, or something for everyone. Right now it just has no appeal to a large sector of society. And I don't mean just wealthy people, I mean families who want a nice vacation.

Right now I wouldn't even think of bringing my kids to Hampton Beach. I would rather drive 30 minutes north and go to York Beach. I get that York isn't as built up as Hampton Beach. But the aesthetics of Beach, the overall vibe, and just they way the town handles the area is a much more inviting atmosphere for families. I can go to a standard Beach t-shirt store, a store with more surf and Beach wears, a Mexican place, a standard American fare type restaurant, pizza, a couple delis, ice cream and so on.

I don't see any reason why Hampton Beach can't incorporate a little variety, it would benefit everyone there. Tourist and locals would all benefit. Obviously this is just my opinion and feelings. But I love the beach and spend a lot of time in Beach towns, and I just feel like HB is just missing out on a lot.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:45 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of variety, or something for everyone. Right now it just has no appeal to a large sector of society. And I don't mean just wealthy people, I mean families who want a nice vacation.

Right now I wouldn't even think of bringing my kids to Hampton Beach. I would rather drive 30 minutes north and go to York Beach. I get that York isn't as built up as Hampton Beach. But the aesthetics of Beach, the overall vibe, and just they way the town handles the area is a much more inviting atmosphere for families. I can go to a standard Beach t-shirt store, a store with more surf and Beach wears, a Mexican place, a standard American fare type restaurant, pizza, a couple delis, ice cream and so on.

I don't see any reason why Hampton Beach can't incorporate a little variety, it would benefit everyone there. Tourist and locals would all benefit. Obviously this is just my opinion and feelings. But I love the beach and spend a lot of time in Beach towns, and I just feel like HB is just missing out on a lot.
Yeah, variety is good. What is your opinion of Old Orchard Beach, closer to Hampton or York in quality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire