Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 12:20 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Every State on this board has a "10 things I hate about" question--except NH. All you hear on this board is how wonderful NH is to the point that it started to seem a little... uh...unrealistic. Granted NH is a great State with many unique properties to it, but to be 100% fantastic is, again, not real. So, I asked.
Why let people come all the way up there to move--only to have them get disappointed and move again?
However, I stand by the NH is a wonderful State compared to most by far. Lucky dogs, you.
Agreed, I wish I had known more about the negatives before moving, had they been out in the open I would of had more to consider! Lesson learned

Old 01-27-2008, 05:35 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
I still think it's one of the best places to live. I have many friends in New Hampshire and spend a lot of time there.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:15 PM

39 posts, read 173,267 times
Hey I need help. I am thinking about relocating to the Conway area in May. Need some tips on realestate, general stuff about this area. I have been looking at houses in Shelburne and other surrounding towns.....I can't wait and hopefully it will work out.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:53 PM

18 posts, read 44,312 times
Try living in Florida, I was looking forward to moving up there someday. I might of just changed my mind..hahahaha. It can't be all that bad???

Old 03-02-2008, 01:21 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairie0025 View Post
Try living in Florida, I was looking forward to moving up there someday. I might of just changed my mind..hahahaha. It can't be all that bad???
I think it depends on what you're looking for and what you're used to....

Does the winter get cold? Yes, sometimes bitterly so.
Does it snow? Yes, sometimes a lot sometimes not so much.
Does it get dark early in the winter? Yes.

Now, I know the spring/summer varies depending on where you are in the state. We live in Littleton which is considered the northern part of NH - our spring and summer are a delight compared to where we were in NY - In NY we had our A/C on almost continuously from May thru September and sometimes October. We've been through 2 summers here and each summer we used A/C 3 days total.

Taxes - Again, depending on what you're used to - I know people say NH property taxes are high - compared to NYS, they aren't, so we didn't have a problem with them.

Salaries - Up here, they are less than in NY, but the "trade-off" is a slower pace, friendly people, beautiful scenery and cleaner air - I've never seen a sky as blue as it is up here!

It costs more to register a car here, than in NY, which I guess you could say is a "hidden tax."

Our car insurance and homeowner's insurance is cheaper here in NH than in NY. Our electric is cheaper here than in NY (again, I think it depends on where you are in the state though.)

Things to do - Depends on what you're looking for and what you're looking to do. We are not "mall people" and we have no mall nearby - doesn't matter to us, to some it would. We have never been bored - we always find something to do if we feel like doing something.

I really think it depends on the people, what they are looking for, etc. If you are looking for a place to make you happy, I doubt it will happen, you need to find that inside you and no matter where you go, you won't be happy (if that makes any sense). We've had no problem making friends - it takes time, people are slower to accept "new comers", but it all worked out for us.

The thing to do is to visit for an extended period of time and see if it's a state you like, pick an area you think you might like and visit it for a week or two, the more time you spend in the area, the better to get a feel for it. Also, come at various times and seasons, especially the winter, to see if you can tolerate the cold and snow.

We have been very happy with our move, but we didn't come from Florida so we were used to snow and cold....although not AS cold or as much snow

Old 03-02-2008, 03:20 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairie0025 View Post
been there done that moving back to Naples in 6 weeks after moving up 9 months ago. It all depends on what you want and what you're looking for like Dream said..
I wanted snow and cold so bad after living in Fl for 25 years.. Its not like I moved up north and was shocked that I got it.. But its just conducive to leading a fulfilling life imo of course.. For me personally the bitter cold of NH is not enjoyable to come out into and walk around in, ski in, take my dog for a walk in etc. It makes you more of a homebody, esp if you're not used to it and used to the heat of places like Fla , Texas and so forth. I'm used to throwing on shorts flip flops and a hat in January and being doing what I need to do all in the time it takes me just to prep my car and self for getting out the door in the winter here.
Of course there are acceptions and some people love to be out snowshoeing, skiing and what not but I'm just not all for it like I thought I would be. There are only so many snow mans one can build and only so many times I can slip on the ice while carying a carton of milk till I finally realize its ridiculous for me to be dealing with this when I can be on a beach in January BBQing or something in a much much cheaper state. I don't like how my house gets stale becasue I can't open the windows for 6 or 7 months or the work that goes into just actually getting to your car and pulling it out of the driveway. I realize I prefer seeing green for 12 months a year than getting decent liveable weather for only 4 or 5 ish and then going right back to stark grey skies and dead trees again.

For us to leave this morning I had to go out at 6 am in the bitter cold shovel off some frozen snow from the end of the driveway that had be pushed up, start my car abd blast the heat then unbundle come inside eat and rebundle to go back out. If you don't warm up your car you'll freeze cause by the time you get to work its just starting to warm up. All in all I add an extra 20-25 mins to my morning for just prep of getting on the road so to speak. During snow storms its all but impossible in the town I'm in to get around as they hardly ever plow (and I'm in a city but many on here have told me their towns are very good about plowing) twice I've had to call the city to all but demand they get plows on the road its been so bad. My husband was stuck in his police cruiser for two hours a couple days ago on top of a hill that they hadn't plowed and the truck finally came and apologized for being late and said he was the only one out on the streets plowing at the moment.
But thats just my experience in many. I don't want to be gruff about the state because like I said its soley my experience but realize not everyone has come to NH finding rolling hills and very nice people. I've found most to be rude and protective of their town, esp to outsiders and very nosey the smaller the town the worse it is. Perhaps I had ideas of greener pastures and was highly dissapointed at what I found. If you're used to the get up and go lifestyle of Fla and don't want things hindering your schedule than rethink your move, but if you're prepared to take extra time out of your day and schedule and don't mind shoveling constantly or sliding when you drive or being either very cold or very homebound for months on end then this might be the right move for you.

Last edited by Tarastomsgirl; 03-02-2008 at 03:34 PM..

Old 03-02-2008, 07:55 PM

758 posts, read 2,888,561 times
I will say the seacoast is MUCH better with snow. We seem to get minor amounts of snow compared to even a few miles inland. Don't get me wrong, I haven't seen grass since November, but when inland and northern areas are getting 12 inches, we only get 4-6. The roads are always plowed promptly. No big deal.

Winter is purely a state of mind. There is no reason to be cold when outside skiing, hiking, or just walking the dog. By the right gear and it's more than tolerable....in fact quite enjoyable.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:56 PM

407 posts, read 1,558,462 times
I don't think I can find TEN things that I hate or dislike about NH...

1. There are just as many folks traveling East-to-West as North-to-South, and a divided highway going in those directions for more than 20 or so miles would sure be great!

2. Not making a property survey mandatory when purchasing a house. You can sure hide a lot of things in the trees here! (oh, ok, maybe it was my bad on this one!)

3. No MINIMUM speed limits!

4. No pizza delivery.

5. Spilling hot coffee on myself while sitting on my back porch during Hunting Season when the shotguns are just a tad too close for comfort.

6. No gripes about paying taxes, but there had better be some services there for the childless and elderly, too!!!

Um, ok, that is really all that I could come up with... and it truly is a pitiful list! Believe me when I say that there are a gazillion places worse to live than here! We Americans truly do not realize how fortunate we are... and New Hampshire folks have it better than most!

As for me, I love the snow and cold (snowblower and fireplace), even though you wouldn't catch me on skis on a bet. If I can't get out of the house, that just means I have more time to curl up with a good book. I have to admit that for a "negatives" thread, quite a few of the postings were pretty positive!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:51 PM

122 posts, read 278,580 times
1: Lack of jobs. I work in biotech and all those jobs are in MA, which forces me to have to live in the more expensive southern NH.
2: Verizon dumping us (ME and VT as well) by selling the landlines off to Fairpoint! This means no Fiber optic internet/tv/phone for the foreseeable future in NH.
3: People from MA coming here because it's a nicer place to live only to try to make it just like MA!
4: MA drivers in the summer.
5: Inefficient highway system. This is good and bad, keeps NH rural but makes it hard to get around. It takes me over an hour to visit my parents in Maine. I either have to go on low speed limit roads in NH or go by 495->95 in MA.
6: House prices, probably goes for most of NE though.
7: Paying for heat is only getting more expensive.
8: Salt wrecking my car fast. Also makes even nice new cars look dirty and old.
9: Black Ice. Scary stuff, you don't even know it's there till you hit it. Once you do you better hope there is nothing in front of you.
10: The dry air in the winter is bad on my hands.

I had a hard time coming up with ten things. Lots of things other people listed as cons I see as pros. IMHO NH is one of the best places to live!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
cold, snow, snow, cold, wet, cold, salt, ice, rain, clouds, traffic, crowding, noise, bright nite sky.

Winter is not fun anymore. Summer not much better. Is it still winter out there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire