Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 06:47 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,931,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Let me start by saying that I've used the MA Fastlane without any issues for almost 20 years. I linked my checking acount and they debit the toll payments on a monthly basis. Fifteen years ago, I used my Fastlane pass to go up and down the East Coast on multiple road trips since Fastlane and EZPass are the same system. But these days, I don't need to use the toll roads that often now. Last year, my total Fastlane usage was only $18.65. Normally my Fastlane account balance is either zero or $3 as they only debit as needed and in $5 increments.

Right now, I don't have need to use the toll roads in NH. But in June, I did go through NH toll booths four times, and this month got non-payment violation notices from them. Why? Because if at the time, there is no cash balance in my Fastlane account, they aren't able to get paid right away. However, I never had this problem when using the toll systems in New York, Maryland and Florida. Those states always got their fees just fine.

So I looked into getting a NH EZPass transponder today. What I don't like is that they want $30 paid upfront to pre-pay the toll fees. But I see no reason to give NH $30 when I might use it only 2-4 times a year. Anyway, that's my vent and I will try very hard not to use NH toll booths. Or if when I need to, I will manually put in a token $5 into my MA Fastlane account.
I use mine a couple times a year from FL to northeast and they have $40,it does not bother me at all for the convience when I need it.
Forty dollars will not break me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 08:46 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I've never had a NH EZpass problem. I'm no longer a frequent user but the minimum balance requirement is a small penalty for the convenience. It also gives you a discount on NH tolls. The web interface works fine and it's trivial to update credit card or license plate/motor vehicle information. The system is far better than waiting in a huge traffic backup to dump toll tokens into a machine.
This. There's no monthly fee. I upload $30 and that's enough tolls for months and months. Am I bothered that my money is sitting in the EZ-Pass account? No. It's better than scrambling for cash I may or may not have at the toll booth. I also like cruising through the EZ-Pass only lane at 25 mph (or 65 at the Hampton Tolls). I like the discount I get.

It's your choice to use the roads or not, and your choice to use EZ-Pass or not. Seems like you're having issues with the MA transponder in the NH system. Just get an EZ-Pass in NH (only way to get the discounted tolls anyways).

$30? I don't sweat the small stuff. The convenience is worth it for me. How much would that $30 get me in interest in my savings account? Maybe 5 cents per year at todays rates?

Old 07-18-2015, 04:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
I have EZ pass on all three cars and my motorcycle. Not having to stop and dig out cash from somewhere in my leather coat while on the bike makes the electronic gadget worthwhile. We recently added a car and it only took a couple minutes on the computer. I find EZ pass well worth the effort just for the reduced aggravation.

OP - I suggest you stop at one of their offices and hash out your problem with a real person.

All - Are the old NH tool tokens becoming collectable. I just found a stash of the things. Any way to turn them in for cash?

Old 07-18-2015, 06:31 AM

174 posts, read 231,814 times
I have had an EZ Pass for 10 years and never have had an issue with it anywhere and I do make trips to the Midwest. I certainly would at least have some money in the account just to be sure it is not that much of an inconvenience. I certainly would add to that account before I take a trip to ensure I do not have issues.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:10 AM

383 posts, read 397,669 times
I agree, letting NH EZ-Pass sit on a few bucks is well worth the convenience of zipping thru the toll booths and you get a discount to boot with no monthly fees. I even have one for our motorhome and the system automatically detects when we have a car in tow, which has worked perfectly for several years now.

Lou

Old 07-18-2015, 04:39 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Talking If MA wants to extend credit to FastPass users, that is a Massachusetts problem, not a New Hampshire problem.

If anything, this sounds like a Massachusetts problem -- MA FastPass, unlike most other systems in the network, allows users to operate their accounts in a post-paid manner, but doesn't absorb the risk of extending credit when dealing with transactions in other states. If Massachusetts wants to allow their passholders to run on credit, that is their problem, not New Hampshire's.

Quote:
Again, my transponder works fine everywhere. But only in NH is it recorded as a non-payment because NH wants it's toll money immediately and won't wait for Fastlane to debit my checking account for the tolls. NH "sees" that the balance on my Fastlane account is either zero or maybe showing a $1 balance when they want more immediately from it.

IMO it's something wrong with NH EZPass. And luckily, I don't need to use the NH tolls during my normal routines.
If you can't keep your Fastlane balance above a buck, maybe you need to rethink things?

For the other question that came up in the replies: If you switch to NH EZPass, you get a significant discount on the NH Tolls. Compatible transponders registered to other states don't receive the discount. NH has no monthly fee unless you choose to lease your transponders or want paper statements.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:08 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Quote:
Let me start by saying that I've used the MA Fastlane without any issues for almost 20 years. I linked my checking acount and they debit the toll payments on a monthly basis. Fifteen years ago, I used my Fastlane pass to go up and down the East Coast on multiple road trips since Fastlane and EZPass are the same system. But these days, I don't need to use the toll roads that often now. Last year, my total Fastlane usage was only $18.65. Normally my Fastlane account balance is either zero or $3 as they only debit as needed and in $5 increments.

Right now, I don't have need to use the toll roads in NH. But in June, I did go through NH toll booths four times, and this month got non-payment violation notices from them. Why? Because if at the time, there is no cash balance in my Fastlane account, they aren't able to get paid right away. However, I never had this problem when using the toll systems in New York, Maryland and Florida. Those states always got their fees just fine.

So I looked into getting a NH EZPass transponder today. What I don't like is that they want $30 paid upfront to pre-pay the toll fees. But I see no reason to give NH $30 when I might use it only 2-4 times a year. Anyway, that's my vent and I will try very hard not to use NH toll booths. Or if when I need to, I will manually put in a token $5 into my MA Fastlane account.
You should read the terms and conditions with the MA EZ Pass - they specifically say it can take up to 3 days for deposits to appear on your account and that you should check you EZ Pass balance prior to going out of state.

E-ZPass MA Frequently Asked Questions - Highway Division - MassDOT

My MA EZ Pass has gone negative due to tolls in MA, NY, NH, and ME and it takes a day or so for the charge to hit the account and take it negative. MA EZ Pass bills my CC within a day or so of that. I've never had an issue.

If I were you, I'd keep the MA EZ Pass and switch to credit card replenishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire