Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,007 times

Advertisements

Hello, first I apologize for my English, I am from Europe. So, short story - my husband got new job at Sig S in May 2015 as supervisor, he worked very hard, passed his probation period, we moved from another state with our two Small Kids, got a house for One Year Lease and kids in new school. Everybody was very happy with him at Sig as employee and I know he is hardworking person spent 10-13 hours at company.

So, simple story, Thusday he got fired without any reason, the day before his Boss shakes his hand "You are doing great."

Now we are on street with Two Small Kids, stuck with one year lease plus new in area, not easy to find job - winter coming, my husband is not young guy he is 60.
Impossible to contact this company, YOU Will never Know TRUTH- WHY....
Our life is upside down.
Ready to go back to my country, but it means destroy my family.

I love American people and I fall in love with NH, but US system really sucks

Any legal protection from this type of situation for family with Small kids in this Country????..

Last edited by Rita2003; 10-03-2015 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 10:44 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Exclamation Maybe should be moved to Work and Employment?

Sorry to hear that, but is this really about New Hampshire? SIG doesn't have a reputation for ageism, and it hurts to be fired without knowing why, but this seems more like a topic for Work and Employment?

The US system is well documented, general rule in US states is at-will employment is a freely entered contract between worker and employer and the government doesn't get into the middle of this like in Europe (where in many cases it is all but impossible to fire employees). Even in a "union shop", managers and supervisors are not protected by the NLRA, cannot join unions or be part of the bargaining unit.

I wouldn't want to live in a state or country where an employer could be forced to keep on an employee just because she has small children. That said, New Hampshire isn't know as a state with a great "social safety net", especially for people who have moved here for a new job which then doesn't last even six months. It doesn't pretend to be fair, and is something worth considering before moving to New Hampshire for employment.

As far as advice? Go apply at Ruger. Slightly longer commute, but better than breaking your lease.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 10-03-2015 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-03-2015, 12:35 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
Has he filed for unemployment yet? Are you legal residents of the USA? Fill out the online forms to see if you are eligible. Your husband should have received formal written notice from his employer when he was terminated. https://nhuis.nh.gov/claimant/

There are many programs available to help people who have lost their jobs and need help buying food (SNAP) or paying rent (section 8) or child care or medical assistance (medicaid). See below.

Division of Family Assistance | New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services

Old 10-04-2015, 09:15 AM

132 posts, read 195,976 times
Your English doesn't need an apology. It's better than most people who were born here.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:03 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Why doesn't the husband try to find another job? Why doesn't the OP look for a job for herself? Then her 60 year old husband can stay at home to raise the kids.

How old is the OP? And why does a man who is 60 years old have two young children? In five years time, her husband is going to reach retirement age, so she's going to have to be the breadwinner eventually anyway.

This whole situation is very illogical.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,007 times
Thank You for all your replays.

Miu, I am talking about current situation. Man in 60 can have small kids if his wife much younger.

Yes, he is looking for job, but it is not easy to find manufacturing job here in NH in short period of time.

At least his previous company Sig Sauer can give him notice in advance, that he will be out, not shook his hand today (you are doing Great) and fired him tomorrow doesn't make sense, but this is normal here.

I can't find job which to cover all this bills and expenses, rent which very high here( better school higher rent).

Old 10-05-2015, 01:52 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,555,388 times
Not that it makes a huge difference, but was he fired, or laid off? fired is when you do something wrong and are terminated as a result. A layoff is usually through no fault of the employee and is done because the company is not doing well financially.

I agree with someone above who said he should apply at Ruger. If he was laid off and was in good standing like you said, he should be able to use his former manager for a reference.

I am really sorry this happened to you. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:28 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita2003 View Post
Hello, first I apologize for my English, I am from Europe. So, short story - my husband got new job at Sig S in May 2015 as supervisor, he worked very hard, passed his probation period, we moved from another state with our two Small Kids, got a house for One Year Lease and kids in new school. Everybody was very happy with him at Sig as employee and I know he is hardworking person spent 10-13 hours at company.

So, simple story, Thusday he got fired without any reason, the day before his Boss shakes his hand "You are doing great."

Now we are on street with Two Small Kids, stuck with one year lease plus new in area, not easy to find job - winter coming, my husband is not young guy he is 60.
Impossible to contact this company, YOU Will never Know TRUTH- WHY....
Our life is upside down.
Ready to go back to my country, but it means destroy my family.

I love American people and I fall in love with NH, but US system really sucks

Any legal protection from this type of situation for family with Small kids in this Country????..
Without knowing the details it is hard to say there is legal protection. You might try

Welcome to New Hampshire Legal Aid | New Hampshire Legal Aid as a starting point.

And yes despite my general distaste for it I strongly suggest that you seek out as much public assistance as possible.. there are plenty of free loading druggies using it so some might as well go to someone who was at least trying to work and stand on their own.

Two things.. we are just names on the net so I have no idea of the validity of your story. if this is some form of scam I do hope in comes back and bites you hard in the ass.. if this is on the up and up ... my prayers are with you...everyone hits that low point in life where things just don't seem fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire