Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:00 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been on the Cog Railway this winter? If so, do you have any pictures to share? I really want to go on it, but I am kind of scared of how long it takes to get to the top...what if I have to p** ??? Remember I have had 2 kids, lmao. All you women understand what I mean. Anyway, it does look like fun. As I have read on this subject, some people really like it, and some dont care for it. Just curious if anyone has ridden it lately...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 05:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I don't think the cog is open in the winter because of the terrible weather at the top. The last time we rode the train it took about 45 minutes to get to the top. There is a snack bar and restroom facilities near the weather station. I suggest a really hot august day is the best time to ride. A humid 90 deg day at the base station is changes to a dry windy 40 deg at the top.

We live in NH but have not taken this mechanical marvel in way too long. It is one of the better examples of narrow gauge railroad engineering of the 1900’s. There are a couple of other narrow gauge steam engine driven railroads in Maine. We will be visiting them this summer.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:36 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Has anyone been on the Cog Railway this winter? If so, do you have any pictures to share? I really want to go on it, but I am kind of scared of how long it takes to get to the top...what if I have to p** ??? Remember I have had 2 kids, lmao. All you women understand what I mean. Anyway, it does look like fun. As I have read on this subject, some people really like it, and some dont care for it. Just curious if anyone has ridden it lately...
Suzet - I think Greg is right about the cograil not running in the winter...I would think they'd have human popsicles by the time they got to the top
(but I may be wrong <G>).

Old 01-31-2008, 05:49 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
The entire road to Mt. Washington is closed in the winter months. Not open to tourists. Nobody except the weather observers are allowed up there and they have to drive a snowmachine type thing with tracks on it just to get to the top then they are stuck up there for a few months at a time. the temperature changes quite a bit. I went up on the tourist van in mid August supposedly the hottest time of the year in New England and it was a good 30 degrees colder at the top.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:18 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
The Cog does have a winter train, but it doesn't go all the way to the summit. According to the website, the train goes to 4100 feet, and runs weekends only, about a 1-hour ride. I don't think anyone gets out on this trip like the summer trips to the top
Here's the weather at the summit now:

Temp: -5.9°F
Wind Gust: 63.5 mph
Wind Chill -42.3°F

Feeling downright balmy here in Londonderry!

Here's some info on the winter train ride, more info at: Mount Washington Cog Railway Winter Train (http://www.thecog.com/winter_train/ - broken link)
Winter Schedule

One hour round-trip ride to Kroflite Kamp at 4100 feet.
Adults (age 13+) ...... $31
Children (age 4-12) ...... $26
Children 3 and under may ride for free when seated on an adult's lap - one child per adult

October 29 November 21 ............ 10:00 & 1:00
Weekends November 24 through March .... 10:00 & 1:00

Holiday Vacation weeks 12/22-1/2 (except 12/25) and February Vacation starting President's day weekend for 2 weeks. Check back for additional details.

Last edited by Valerie C; 01-31-2008 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: added info on winter train, posted a pic too!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:19 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
I have been on this many times and I like it. Most recently, when we took my dad in September. It is a bumpy ride and some people are bothered by the coal/steam. That is why I think some people like it and some do not. I personally like it because that is part of the history of the train-you are riding it up how visitors rode it up years and years ago in its glory days when the ultra-rich were riding it to the top to stay at the hotel.

Of course if you don't like the train, you can always take an alternate way down. You could take the Devil's Shingle down. This is the way the workers used to take to the bottom after putting in a day's of work.

http://www.uh.edu/engines/devshing.jpg

Mount Washington Cog Railway

Old 01-31-2008, 07:39 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
The Cog does have a winter train, but it doesn't go all the way to the summit. According to the website, the train goes to 4100 feet, and runs weekends only, about a 1-hour ride. I don't think anyone gets out on this trip like the summer trips to the top
Here's the weather at the summit now:

Temp: -5.9°F
Wind Gust: 63.5 mph
Wind Chill -42.3°F

Feeling downright balmy here in Londonderry!

Here's some info on the winter train ride, more info at: Mount Washington Cog Railway Winter Train (http://www.thecog.com/winter_train/ - broken link)
Winter Schedule

One hour round-trip ride to Kroflite Kamp at 4100 feet.
Adults (age 13+) ...... $31
Children (age 4-12) ...... $26
Children 3 and under may ride for free when seated on an adult's lap - one child per adult

October 29 November 21 ............ 10:00 & 1:00
Weekends November 24 through March .... 10:00 & 1:00

Holiday Vacation weeks 12/22-1/2 (except 12/25) and February Vacation starting President's day weekend for 2 weeks. Check back for additional details.

Good post Val,
I remember reading an article earlier this year about them using the Cog to transport workers laying electrical line to the top of Mt Washington. In the article they mentioned running the train in the winter part way up the Mountain and being able to ski down.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:34 AM

223 posts, read 1,003,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
In the article they mentioned running the train in the winter part way up the Mountain and being able to ski down.
If that is true, I don't like the sounds of that at all!!! It isn't a ski resort. The moto for those who don't know it is "Earn Your Turns" and for a very good reason. This will just be an invitation for more stupid people to think it's nothing more than another ski trail. Hike the darn thing!!! I've been to the top 3 times to ski it and the only rubber I burned was the bottom of my boots and the only fuel I burned was my own breath.

I hope this wasn't off topic ... just needed to express my rage at such a thought. IMO, I wish the cog was never built in the first place. There is nothing better than peaking a mountaintop to witness the most inspiring views ... and low and behold ... vehicle transportation! Most people who explore into the wilderness do so to escape just that. Thank you for bearing with me while I rant.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:11 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
You can only ski on the bottom part. It's a blue square, fairly wide trail.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:08 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,964 times
Reading these posts, I remembered something - When my dad passed on in 2003, I was going through some old pictures with my mom of their honeymoon. Mom couldn't remember exactly where they had gone, but said it was somewhere in VT or NH

Three years later we moved up here and I was talking to Mom about Franconia Notch, Mt. Washington, the cograil, etc., and she said - "That's were we went! We saw the Old Man and your dad wanted to go up that "thing" to the top of a mountain, but I didn't, so I stayed at the bottom and watched him go."

I did some more digging in the pictures Mom had, that I brought with me and although things have changed since 1952, some things are still very recognizable. The cog was in operation then, right?

Hmmmm.....wonder if that's why I feel a "connection" to NH - it's where I was conceived.......talk about going back to one's roots!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire