Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 08:18 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
On the weekends, I work a 9am-5:30pm shift. Then on weekdays, it's usually noon to 9pm. So I don't really hit any heavy traffic. Otherwise, I really really LOVE my job in Boston. And I always am always looking at NH job listings, but so far nothing close to what work Boston offers in my field.

It's outrageous that my town wants us to pay a $1K a month for the privilege of living in their town in a 1920's 4 bedroom Dutch Colonial house with a tired roof and a kitchen from the 1960's. What kills us is an attached swimming pool room paved with river rock on the sides... which we keep empty because we can't afford the propane to keep it heated. But our town assessor (who btw lives an hour north of us) considers that pool room to be "living space" and that doubles the amount of living space on our property. And that's what our assessment is based on. My boyfriend is talking about knocking down this addition. I think that technically, if we were to bulldoze the house and the swimming pool room and replace those structures with a tiny one bedroom house, we would then have a reasonable property tax. So that solution might be in our future.

The pluses of our property is having 10 acres of open land that is mostly fenced in by chainlink fence. And we have a giant garage, and a small stable with two paddocks. Our dogs are extremely happy running around out back in one paddock. The other paddock protects our vegetable garden from deer. We are told that our garage has $65K worth of concrete in its foundation. We estimate that there is $90K worth of chainlink fencing. All thanks to a prior owner, who apparently left our town in a fit after over newly arrived property tax bills (he also owned two commercial properties on our street).

In the two years we have "owned" this house, we have wanted to replace the roof on our house, but have been unable to afford to. And that makes our home owners insurance premiums high. We'd also like a nice kitchen, but again, we can't afford to buy new appliances. Meanwhile, the town keeps valuing our property higher and higher, and at over $100K than we paid for it. Thank goodness our place doesn't have a lakefront, thank goodness we don't have a "view".

And we will never use the town's school system, since I am 57 years old. So yes, count me in as someone who would greatly prefer a state income and sales tax IF that would lower OUR tax burden. And it does upset me to see so many vehicles with MA plates shopping at our big box stores. IMO the taxing structure of NH is way out of wack. And rather than punish homeowners, the amount of tax requested should be more fairly collected and reflective of the state and town services used.

P.S. Our neighbors next door have a tax bill that is $6K. They have two teenage sons. One son failed to graduate high school last spring. This school year, we see a yellow school bus that takes him all the way over to Dover for his retake of his senior year. Why should our taxes be paying for that?

Wow! Thank goodness you like your job though. I realize how lucky I am not to have to work anymore and I don't care that I currently have a small apartment in Maynard it's heaven....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 11:42 AM

111 posts, read 118,494 times
The other thing that killed me was the state tax stamp at closing. I have come to the conclusion that when all is done and said, NH residents pay just as much if not more in taxes overall. What is saved in income and sales tax is surely made up elsewhere.

Like Miu said, it would be hard to keep up on maintenance of a house and I worry about that and the cost of utilities too. We learned about the view tax this year. I have several friends out of state that were shocked when I told them about all the different taxes and fees associated with home ownership.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:49 PM

810 posts, read 852,020 times
I may come to NH to go to school but I will have to move after I complete because it is too expensive to live. Property taxes are completely ridiculous. What is it a completion between MA and NH who can scalp homeowners more?

I was hoping to stay and find a job at Dartmouth-Hitchcock. But I keep reading about the super high property taxes. I want to buy a house as i am totally tired of renting.

I love all of New England well what i have seen of it. I have never been to Rhode Island and only drove through Connecticut. Maine and NH are my favorite places :-)

Old 12-18-2015, 04:56 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Quote:
I understand. I still work in Boston since I can't find any work in NH that pays as well. And our property taxes just jumped up to $12K a year
Your main issue is you work in Boston and live in NH. So your paying MA income tax and paying high NH tax. If you could find work in NH the difference between income tax and property tax would balance out. Not to mention the commute, gas, wear and tear.

NH property taxes are fine. Yep they are high, but other states are high as well, they just hit you other places.

If NH had an income tax and tons of other taxes, all the rich people (job creators) would simply find another state. And NH would look like Vermont. High taxes, no jobs.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:08 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge1 View Post
Tough financial situations are never fun, so my condolences. Where did you live before you moved? My family moved from the DC area, so NH is cheap in comparison. Still, we may relocate at some point for lower COL.
Yes, my experience as well. I moved from NYC, so NH is much more affordable in comparison.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:13 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Your main issue is you work in Boston and live in NH. So your paying MA income tax and paying high NH tax. If you could find work in NH the difference between income tax and property tax would balance out. Not to mention the commute, gas, wear and tear.

NH property taxes are fine. Yep they are high, but other states are high as well, they just hit you other places.

If NH had an income tax and tons of other taxes, all the rich people (job creators) would simply find another state. And NH would look like Vermont. High taxes, no jobs.
It sounds like the job creators aren't in NH anyway since many have to come to MA for work.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
It sounds like the job creators aren't in NH anyway since many have to come to MA for work.
I dont think you realize how many companies are headquartered in NH and the CEO's live here as well. Sure there are more jobs in Boston in any field, but without these NH companies, it would be nothing but fields and trees like Maine and Vermont.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:05 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post

NO. The problem is that our property tax is double what my neighbors are paying. If my property taxes were in the $5-6K range, then I would be comfortable working for less in NH. What makes no sense to me is us paying so much more than my neighbors and getting so much less in NH services.

I make $21.89 an hour in Boston with all the OT hours I want, and my health insurance is only $4 a week and there are no deductibles. I also include my boyfriend on my insurance plan for another $4 a week. So even paying partial income tax to MA, I am still way ahead of any NH job that I am qualified for.

I also try to keep my taxes down by only buying used cars. I just bought a used 2003 Honda Civic for $1500 and I can fill it with 87 octane gas. No way would I buy a brand new car, even if I could afford to. And I still use an old Samsung flip phone. And I save on groceries by eating most of my meals at work (free). So I am quite a frugal person by nature and my boyfriend is also.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
NO. The problem is that our property tax is double what my neighbors are paying. .
Real estate taxes in NH are based on formulas and everyone is assessed the same based on what they own. Its likely you have double the assets of what your neighbors have.

If the taxes are truly wrong there is an appeals process to correct them.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:02 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Yup, you can live here if you have a great-paying job--but lose your job, or retire, and you'd better take whatever you can get for your house and run.

This place will bankrupt virtually anyone who didn't inherit over $15 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire