Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 07:26 PM

3 posts, read 2,778 times

Advertisements

Hi! I've been reading through lots of previous posts and there is so much information, I thought maybe I'd take the initiative and start a thread.
My name is Cara and my family and I, lIke so many on these boards, are thinking of moving to NH in 18 months. I am a nursing student who graduates in a year and my husband works for our local natural gas company. We live in MI, are no stranger to winters. Our favorite seasons are fall and winter. We are hikers, backpackers, outdoor enthusiasts and have 3 toddlers that we would like to bring up the same way. We want land to garden and raise our own food. 5-10 acres roughly. We prefer homeschooling so would like an area that offers support in that area.
As far as city life, we would love a close community that offers small businesses, a quaint downtown within 20 mins that has places to eat, grocery shop, etc.
Do you guys have any recommendations based upon my family and our desires?
Thank you in advance! I love reading through the posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 08:51 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times
Look at the Lakes Region, or somewhat north of that in the Plymouth area.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:36 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
You really need to find jobs first!

That said, Upper Valley on the NH/VT border has Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon NH and a VA hospital nearby in White River Junction VT where you could probably find a nursing job in a stimulating environment. Several very nice towns in the surrounding area. Lots of homes with acreage and outbuildings if you really want to farm.

We don't have natural gas up here. We do have propane tanks which means someone has to deliver it. You didn't say what your husband's work is.

Don't know how you plan to home school if you are both working. Many of the towns up here have 4 and 5 star schools so you might want to rethink the home schooling thing. You have to check GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community and SchoolDigger.com - the Easy Way to Evaluate K-12 School Performance to see which towns have the best schools. Be aware, the towns with good schools also have the highest real estate taxes.

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:58 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Home schooling, hmmm . . .
Certainly can be done. But kind of eliminates a 2nd paid job.

I do know of a family where mother does home schooling. She also hires a nanny service so that she can leave for shopping, appointments and such. She also has a house cleaning service come in weekly.

Nurses usually always can obtain employment. Part time nursing. Visiting Nurses, etc.

I highly suggest you start your nursing career at one of the VA (Department of Veterans Affairs) hospitals and or clinics.
VA clinics are all over the state and the two hospitals are in Manchester, NH and White River Junction, VT - across the river from Hanover/Lebanon, NH.

As stated above, natural gas pipelines are few and far between in NH. Mostly the bigger cities. If gas, many in rural areas that want gas use propane - which is delivered.

Hope you are planning ahead. As 18 years goes by really fast. Then you have to think about paying for college and having some investment/money for retirement. I see way too many folks here that reach retirement and have zilch when age catches up with them and the word retirement enters their vocabulary.

Might be a good idea to sit down with an investment planner or retirement planner.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:36 AM

77 posts, read 124,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuffman3060 View Post
Hi! I've been reading through lots of previous posts and there is so much information, I thought maybe I'd take the initiative and start a thread.
My name is Cara and my family and I, lIke so many on these boards, are thinking of moving to NH in 18 months. I am a nursing student who graduates in a year and my husband works for our local natural gas company. We live in MI, are no stranger to winters. Our favorite seasons are fall and winter. We are hikers, backpackers, outdoor enthusiasts and have 3 toddlers that we would like to bring up the same way. We want land to garden and raise our own food. 5-10 acres roughly. We prefer homeschooling so would like an area that offers support in that area.
As far as city life, we would love a close community that offers small businesses, a quaint downtown within 20 mins that has places to eat, grocery shop, etc.
Do you guys have any recommendations based upon my family and our desires?
Thank you in advance! I love reading through the posts.
Honestly most places in NH could meet most of the criteria above. As others have pointed out, natural gas is not available most of NH but it certainly is available in a few places. It would be cost prohibitive to get 5-10 acres in Nashua or Manchester but in most cases, if you go one town over, you can get the land size you are looking for.

Obviously you don't need 5-10 acres for a 'garden' but having a plot that large gives you other benefits such as potentially being able to be self sufficient for wood (if carefully managed with something like black locust trees), privacy and other nice options. It is great to have a plot that large but as you are making trades for location, don't underestimate just how much you can do on 2-3 acre plot.

There are pretty good home schooling resources all across the state. If you are on facebook I can provide a few tips for potential groups where you'd be able to plug into communities across the state.

Have you guys heard of the Free State Project? There are some great people and great resources among people who have moved as part of that group.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:46 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Default New Hampshire has much in common with Michigan north of Flint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuffman3060 View Post
Many interesting towns are kind of lacking in downtown businesses, but are within ~20 minutes of each of those services, just in different directions and maybe two towns over...

As others have said, definitely line up employment before you move, and consider renting for a while before buying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_NH View Post
Honestly most places in NH could meet most of the criteria above. As others have pointed out, natural gas is not available most of NH but it certainly is available in a few places. It would be cost prohibitive to get 5-10 acres in Nashua or Manchester but in most cases, if you go one town over, you can get the land size you are looking for. Obviously you don't need 5-10 acres for a 'garden' but having a plot that large gives you other benefits...
That would be my recommendation as well -- if you're willing to live about a half hour away from downtown Manchester, you can find some sizable lots in semi-rural towns. You might also want to read up on current use, which applies to undeveloped land over 11 acres as well as certain farming uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_NH View Post
Have you guys heard of the Free State Project? There are some great people and great resources among people who have moved as part of that group.
Speaking of the Free State Project (covered in depth in this thread), they expect to reach 20,000 signers in about two weeks, after which we will see how many fulfill their commitment to move to New Hampshire.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 2,778 times
Free State Project is what made us take a look at NH. We would of course secure employment first, before we move. It just helps knowing what direction to go in. My husband is in natural gas and works on meters in both residential and business, he answers gas leaks, fixes pipe, etc. I've found a map online of the areas that have natural gas customers and the utility companies that own them. I feel that I would find employment easier than he would, so we will focus on him first. It appears that Concord and Manchester, south central state, has all the natural gas. It's also the most $$ to live in. We plan on renting first. We've moved states before, so we are smart in how we approach it, especially now that we have children.
I am very appreciative of all of your suggestions. As a nurse, in my area, it's shift work. I could work 2nd shift and do school with the kids during the morning. We would need a sitter for a few hrs till my husband got home from work. Our kids are currently in private school so I can attend college. Our dream is homeschooling. We shall see how that works.
Again, I appreciate your straight forwardness and advice!

Old 01-16-2016, 08:08 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
Nashua also has natural gas.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:55 AM

77 posts, read 124,876 times
If you move into the greater nashua area let me know. I coordinate the Nashua area liberty social events and I try to make it to the move in events. (In general for those who are interested, FSP participants and friends will help unload the moving truck)

Old 01-20-2016, 04:57 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,875,268 times
You wont like Nashua......an extension of Boston.
With natural gas experience your husband could land a job with one of the many propane companies.....they are very similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire