Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 01:45 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times

Advertisements

New Hampshire charges $10 for a 5-year ID card, and you can continue to use an expired ID card for 5 years to vote, so the actual cost is $1/year.

The usual argument is that this disenfranchises students and the elderly. For for students they'll accept a college ID, and if you are 65 or older, an expired ID card is good for the rest of your life, not just 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Hard to believe when reading threads like these that voter fraud is NOT a much bigger problem than some people say. I am 100% for voter ID.
When no ID is required, and no effort is put towards investigating fraud, how do we know how big of a problem voter fraud is?

The corruption goes to the top of the Democratic party -- Joe's niece, Alana Biden, while a volunteer for his campaign in 2012 voted in New Hampshire while living in "Martha's Motel" with eight other campaign staffers, none of whom were eligible to vote in NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 02:28 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
New Hampshire charges $10 for a 5-year ID card, and you can continue to use an expired ID card for 5 years to vote, so the actual cost is $1/year.

The usual argument is that this disenfranchises students and the elderly. For for students they'll accept a college ID, and if you are 65 or older, an expired ID card is good for the rest of your life, not just 5 years.

When no ID is required, and no effort is put towards investigating fraud, how do we know how big of a problem voter fraud is?

The corruption goes to the top of the Democratic party -- Joe's niece, Alana Biden, while a volunteer for his campaign in 2012 voted in New Hampshire while living in "Martha's Motel" with eight other campaign staffers, none of whom were eligible to vote in NH.

That's interesting because if you read in NH's website it says there is no minimum time period allowed to establish residency in NH so it sounds like she would be eligible to vote even if she was living in a motel for a day in NH.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:24 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
That's interesting because if you read in NH's website it says there is no minimum time period allowed to establish residency in NH so it sounds like she would be eligible to vote even if she was living in a motel for a day in NH.
Our domicile law is weak, but it does exist:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSA 654:1
Every inhabitant of the state, having a single established domicile for voting purposes, being a citizen of the United States, of the age provided for in Article 11 of Part First of the Constitution of New Hampshire, shall have a right at any meeting or election, to vote in the town, ward, or unincorporated place in which he or she is domiciled. An inhabitant's domicile for voting purposes is that one place where a person, more than any other place, has established a physical presence and manifests an intent to maintain a single continuous presence for domestic, social, and civil purposes relevant to participating in democratic self-government.
I hear Alana Biden flew home on November 7th. Now the Bidens are rich and maybe she took a private plane or bought a same day ticket, but how likely is it she was holding a plane ticket to New York when she swore that affidavit on November 6th?

Old 02-09-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Our domicile law is weak, but it does exist:

I hear Alana Biden flew home on November 7th. Now the Bidens are rich and maybe she took a private plane or bought a same day ticket, but how likely is it she was holding a plane ticket to New York when she swore that affidavit on November 6th?

Who knows, but, saying voter fraud is a bit inflammatory don't you think? I'm guessing she didn't also vote in another state as well although I don't know that to be true as that would clearly be voter fraud.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:43 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
I have always needed to show a photo ID to vote in CT and thought NH was the same. I am sorry to see that it's not required, but we are still moving up and will add to the conservative base.

Lou

That's the whole point. Isn't it. Thank you.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:21 PM

146 posts, read 293,862 times
My D registered and voted near Plymouth as a "college student living away from home". She did not need to show any proof of residence but did have to show ID. She used her drivers license showing a southern NH address, not her student ID. Doesn't seem like it's too hard to vote if you want to!

Old 02-09-2016, 05:26 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glopop11 View Post
My D registered and voted near Plymouth as a "college student living away from home". She did not need to show any proof of residence but did have to show ID. She used her drivers license showing a southern NH address, not her student ID. Doesn't seem like it's too hard to vote if you want to!
Exactly!

Old 02-09-2016, 05:45 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Hard to believe when reading threads like these that voter fraud is NOT a much bigger problem than some people say.

I am 100% for voter ID.
Me too! I'm in California and they never ask, but I show them my ID anyway and proud to do so as an American. I think it's too important of a right to be so careless with it, and open the door to fraud. I want our votes to have credibility!

Old 02-09-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glopop11 View Post

It is important that that it isn't hard to vote.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:57 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Happy to say that here in Londonderry, they asked to see IDs for everybody. Then needed to show ID again when we changed our affiliation back to Undeclared. Our nearly 20-year old brought his license AND his laminated Voter Registration. He got to vote in the mid-term election in 2014, and was very happy to be able to vote in his first primary. LOTS of 20-somethings voting today all across New Hampshire. No matter who they were voting for, I'm happy to see such a great turnout!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire